• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • GBuck

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    54   0   0
    Jul 18, 2011
    Franklin
    I hate it when people compare businesses to a private dwelling. My home does not welcome patronage from random strangers. There are different rules that apply.

Please explain.

I own a store. I don't want people carrying in my store. I ask them to leave. They do not leave. I have the police come and they are removed with notice of a trespass. They come back. The police take them to jail.

Correct me where I am wrong, please.

ArcadiaGP

Wanderer
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 15, 2009
    Indianapolis
    Please explain.

I own a store. I don't want people carrying in my store. I ask them to leave. They do not leave. I have the police come and they are removed with notice of a trespass. They come back. The police take them to jail.

It's not just "public" and "private"

There are varying degrees of private.

A business is created with the intent to sell to the public. It is a private establishment, and the understand is that you are welcome to enter said private business to utilize it's services.

My home, though, has no such understanding. You are not allowed to enter a home, on a whim, on your own choosing.

GBuck

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    54   0   0
    Jul 18, 2011
    Franklin
    I don't think that was TFs point. He seemed to be saying that store owners didnt necessarily have the right to prevent you from being in their store with a gun.

Fwiw, I think the majority of people understand that we are not saying "private" meaning away from others (as in your home), but private meaning privately owned.

eldirector

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 29, 2009
    Brownsburg, IN
    Please explain.

Two major differences:
    - It is perfectly legal for someone to enter your store. It only becomes illegal when you ask them to leave and they do not. It is NOT legal for a random stranger to just walk into my house. I don't have to ASK them to leave, I can ORDER them and back it up with force.

- There is also a long list of reasons you CANNOT ask someone to leave for (race, religion, etc...) and even some reasons you MUST provide reasonable accommodation for, even if you don't like it. I have no such restrictions at home.

wrnyhuise

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 8, 2013
    SW Indianapolis
    to be completely honest i Open Carry. I don't wish to buy larger pants to fit my holster. I prefer to carry with a drop down leg holster but have yet to purchase one. Yes I know people will stare and make comments but i am trained well in firearms. I am safe and do not carry the look of a crazy. I am legal and people can deal with it. it is my right.

GetA2J

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Terre Haute,Indiana
    to be completely honest i Open Carry. I don't wish to buy larger pants to fit my holster. I prefer to carry with a drop down leg holster but have yet to purchase one. Yes I know people will stare and make comments but i am trained well in firearms. I am safe and do not carry the look of a crazy. I am legal and people can deal with it. it is my right.

Thank you for being so open and honest about your disorder. Counselors are on staff to assist with your problems, just ask. :D :): ;) :laugh:

stephen87

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    May 26, 2010
    The Seven Seas
    OC is like driving a Lamborghini. Everyone knows what you have, it's only to draw attention to yourself, and most you can't even handle the power correctly. :):

Is that a better analogy? FTR, I OC.

wrnyhuise

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 8, 2013
    SW Indianapolis
    Thank you for being so open and honest about your disorder. Counselors are on staff to assist with your problems, just ask. :D :): ;) :laugh:
    A disorder i think not. I simply choose not to wear extra clothes to hide my gun because someone who sees it might get a little butthurt. My right to bear arms says absolutely nothing about coming with condition of "just so long as it does not offend someone". The only thing that makes this an issue at all is people being afraid of somebody's reaction to seeing a gun. If this is the case then i need to cut off all of my tattoos because they might offend somebody and we can't have that now can we?:draw:

LockStocksAndBarrel

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    A disorder i think not. I simply choose not to wear extra clothes to hide my gun because someone who sees it might get a little butthurt. My right to bear arms says absolutely nothing about coming with condition of "just so long as it does not offend someone". The only thing that makes this an issue at all is people being afraid of somebody's reaction to seeing a gun. If this is the case then i need to cut off all of my tattoos because they might offend somebody and we can't have that now can we?:draw:

Purple=sarcasm.

Titanium_Frost

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Feb 6, 2011
    Southwestern Indiana
    Please explain.

I don't think that was TFs point. He seemed to be saying that store owners didnt necessarily have the right to prevent you from being in their store with a gun.

Fwiw, I think the majority of people understand that we are not saying "private" meaning away from others (as in your home), but private meaning privately owned.

Are you being dense, obtuse or just playing Devil's Advocate? :dunno:

I have first hand experience dealing with the differences of carrying on private and public property. My post was dealing with the comparing of a private business to a private dwelling (home) not in regards to carrying but to tresspass and what rules could be posted/enforced.

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    Nope, I like Orange... Orange is the best.

I agree! Orange is my favorite color...
    tennessee.jpg

Go Vols!

Last edited:
    Top Bottom