• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • CPT Nervous

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Mar 7, 2012
    The Southern Bend
    so, is there a law in Indiana against open carry? or is it one of those things that you can untill a concerned citizen calls the police??
    please help for I cannot find any direct answers.

Did you not read the thread? Of course it's legal. It is not in any way dependent on how other people feel. Most states allow open carry.

BigSky85

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 8, 2012
    This is good commentary on open carry. With the recent push towards having armed personal in schools, I feel the only way to go is with multiple parties carrying concealed weapons. This maintains the element of surprise for a would be assailant, and eliminates a known uniformed guard from being the primary target. We need our schools armed.

the1kidd03

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 19, 2011
    somewhere
    This is good commentary on open carry. With the recent push towards having armed personal in schools, I feel the only way to go is with multiple parties carrying concealed weapons. This maintains the element of surprise for a would be assailant, and eliminates a known uniformed guard from being the primary target. We need our schools armed.
    In a school environment I would agree with concealed. Otherwise JFC

mk2ja

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Aug 20, 2009
    North Carolina
    Not a thing about this in the Indiana section.

Indiana

The maps are helpful.

avfTz8z.png

Check them all out here: Maps | OpenCarry.org

SIGnature45

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 22, 2013
    South Bend
    I always conceal. I carry to protect me in the rare situation that something happens where I am or someone attacks me. Key word, RARE. I feel more trouble could come about with either upset/uneasy citizens, attackers trying to take the gun, robbers seeing you as the first target, etc etc. I'm not going to open carry just to try and deter a criminal. Criminals IMO don't think clearly to start with because they are about to rob a 7-11 and risk going to jail and getting a criminal record over stealing 100 bucks from the drawer. You think they are smart enough to look around, see a gun on a hip, and change their mind? Personally I think they are going to run in and rob a place fairly quickly, guns on hips or not. I like to avoid confrontation rather than stir it up. Concealed all day for me.

SIGnature45

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 22, 2013
    South Bend
    Oh and btw, I conceal a P220 Compact SAS .45 with a Galco Kingtuk holster. I have 7 +1 which is more than enough for self defense, and I can't hardly tell its there most of the time because the holster is so comfortable. So the argument for open carry because it's a .45 doesn't make sense to me.

LockStocksAndBarrel

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Oh and btw, I conceal a P220 Compact SAS .45 with a Galco Kingtuk holster. I have 7 +1 which is more than enough for self defense, and I can't hardly tell its there most of the time because the holster is so comfortable. So the argument for open carry because it's a .45 doesn't make sense to me.

What if your magazine fails? What brand crystal ball do you use to know that 8 rounds is "more than enough". Multiple threats? Heat of the moment accuracy?

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    I open carry because it takes the attention off my hideous face.

Actually, oc sometimes, cc sometimes. Or, JFC.
    I grew up a bit and stopped worrying what people would think of me when I'm doing something legal.

blitz91

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 30, 2012
    Terre Haute, In
    I have to agree with all the posts saying that it depends on the place youre going/ what youre wearing/ etc. certain situations (crime ridden areas, firearm-friendly gatherings) warrant open carry in my opinion, but i think that its not necessary to open carry on a family trip to outback. just my opinion but it seems common sense to me.

mk2ja

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Aug 20, 2009
    North Carolina
    I have to agree with all the posts saying that it depends on the place youre going/ what youre wearing/ etc. certain situations (crime ridden areas, firearm-friendly gatherings) warrant open carry in my opinion, but i think that its not necessary to open carry on a family trip to outback. just my opinion but it seems common sense to me.

I don't see how the sense that you don't need to OC is any more common than the sense that OC makes it easier to deter crime and easier to draw from a holster. :dunno:

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville

Haven't you just used an arguement from the anti-gunners?
    Replace "open carry" with "carry a gun".
    "but i think that its not necessary to carry a gun on a family trip to outback"

SIGnature45

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 22, 2013
    South Bend
    What if your magazine fails? What brand crystal ball do you use to know that 8 rounds is "more than enough". Multiple threats? Heat of the moment accuracy?

I do carry a second mag just in my jeans pocket, but honestly, multiple threats? Magazine failure? Real world situation here people. First of all I have had zero magazine failures between the three Sigs I've carried. That's why I carry a Sig, not a Taurus. Yes, it COULD happen, and I do have a backup mag, but if we are talking magazine failure, why would more rounds in the mag matter?

Multiple threats: ok. If I can't hit two people with 8 shots I need more help than a Sig P220 Compact. I need a flame thrower or something that I can mindlessly whip around in a panic. But seriously, I feel 8 rounds is plenty. If there are two people and I take down the first in three shots or less, do you think the second is going to keep coming or try to run or hide? What if it takes me 5 shots "in the heat of the moment" to hit the first person once? I still have 3 left for the next guy to decide if he wants to keep coming.

If there are three people or more, I'm probably going to think twice about getting involved in the first place depending on the situation (if i have that option aka in a store during a robbery and not being attacked personally) and my 7+1 buys me enough time to find the nearest exit. I don't carry to take on a mob, it's for self defense and the random attack, which in my opinion, is usually two people or less.

Crystal ball? I wish I had one. If you are able to predict the future and tell me what type of threats you are protecting yourself from in the future I would love to hear about it. I have no clue. I just know that 8 is enough for ME to feel confident. I spend enough time at the range and put hundreds of rounds through my pistols and rifles a month to feel confident with 8 plus 7 in my pocket. Not just aim and slow shoot. Pulling from the hip, sitting, one handed, changing mags, etc etc. I don't just shoot, I practice. P220 compact is the perfect gun for ME because the .45 caliber is reliable to me, and the P220 is the best thing IMO that uses it because it's comfortable and accurate and reliable.

Hope I don't offend anyone if I respond harshly. Not my intent. i love the convo and definitely love the questions and challenges. I don't have all the answers, and I love to learn and hear other peoples opinions. Thats why I share mine so we all can be better equipped for any situation. I haven't been in any real world situations which is part of why I am here, to hear and learn from people who have!

Top Bottom