• ...and so much more!
  • thunderchicken

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 26, 2010
    Indianapolis
    :dunno:

Learning. curve all the my friend. Getting on the TB as late as possible is the key to being consistent and when you add the delay factor into the staging equation it puts another step in the process that makes you pace around scratching your head sometimes in frustration.
    Work on getting the box set up as soon as you can. Be ready when you are bumping into the last beam. That takes some of the pressure off. Once you get past you That part you will see lower trans temps.
    Are you running a glide. You are among friends so it’s OK
    My big focus this year has just been about getting the new starting line routine to be second nature and to get the basics with the delay box figured out to make consistent hits.

Yes, running a glide with a 45k btu cooler with dedicated fan.
    On a Pro tree I would stab the throttle as soon as both cars are fully staged and at the first flash of yellow off the button.
    At the start of this season I was told on the full tree with the delay box, to do the same thing but let off the button on the top bulb. But that had me on the trans brake way too long building heat. After thinking about it, at the last 2 races I have let off the button letting the box do it's thing and and stabbed the throttle on the 2nd yellow bulb. My thoughts are it's supposed to be .5 second between bulbs if I see the 2nd and stomp the pedal I shouldn't be on the trans brake longer than 1 full second.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    With the dedicated cooler it should hold temperature easy enough.
    We piggy backed off the radiator with a monster cooler using the dual 12” puller’s
    When the car was configured to launch/race mode all fans/pumps were on. Never built those temps in the beams at least to memory. I had considered one of them as a stand-alone just because but never found the need.
    Are you running off just engine this year or swinging for the fences with the button.
    You have the gauge on the right side of the load.

thunderchicken

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 26, 2010
    Indianapolis
    With the dedicated cooler it should hold temperature easy enough.
    We piggy backed off the radiator with a monster cooler using the dual 12” puller’s
    When the car was configured to launch/race mode all fans/pumps were on. Never built those temps in the beams at least to memory. I had considered one of them as a stand-alone just because but never found the need.
    Are you running off just engine this year or swinging for the fences with the button.
    You have the gauge on the right side of the load
    Since the car was originally built for heads up competition, we had to add the cooler for the quick turnaround times. Previously we only looped the line on the side of the trans.
    Yes, just running it N/A this year and likely next year.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Since the car was originally built for heads up competition, we had to add the cooler for the quick turnaround times. Previously we only looped the line on the side of the trans.
    Yes, just running it N/A this year and likely next year.
    Makes sense. We had some fast turn around if you made the quarter’a (money rounds) so having the temps down was a factor. But we were not running beast mode (mid-5’s). High 8’s low 9’s.
    That beast has to be pushing serious HP even N/A.

femurphy77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 5, 2009
    S.E. of disorder
    I'm needing to cut multiple v notches in 1/16" aluminum, no more than 3/4" deep, anybody have any ideas for something portable and relatively inexpensive considering my one-time use?
    I ended up finding of all things a pair of notching pliers in Lowes. It's not designed for 1/16" sheetmetal but since I'm using aluminum, I decided to try it and it is working quite well.
    1661114448533.png

I'm using it to form an angle flange to mount my rear windshield to the racecar. A little side job while I wait on various parts to arrive so I can get back to the fun stuff.
    1661114560992.png

thunderchicken

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 26, 2010
    Indianapolis
    Makes sense. We had some fast turn around if you made the quarter’a (money rounds) so having the temps down was a factor. But we were not running beast mode (mid-5’s). High 8’s low 9’s.
    That beast has to be pushing serious HP even N/A.
    They wrapped up points 2 weeks ago so that may have been a factor. But, the car count was pretty low yesterday so that made a difference in time between rounds.
    N/A it's making just over 1200hp and race ready the car is just under 3k lbs. But that's with the nitrous cam in it and the rings are getting some wear on them too. So it's not sealed up as tight as it would be if it had the higher cylinder pressure with the spray.
    On a clean launch we're consistent getting 1.22 60' times. Which probably isn't bad since the only chassis changes we've made has been shock adjustments.

Had kinda been hoping to have the engine freshened over the winter. But with parts availability being months out and the demand will only go up as seasons end, I think we may try to get one more season out it. Otherwise we would be looking at next July or early August to even get a set of rods. So that's another reason we will probably just run it N/A next year too. Besides so far I've only seen a couple cars faster and most of those are rails.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    They wrapped up points 2 weeks ago so that may have been a factor. But, the car count was pretty low yesterday so that made a difference in time between rounds.
    N/A it's making just over 1200hp and race ready the car is just under 3k lbs. But that's with the nitrous cam in it and the rings are getting some wear on them too. So it's not sealed up as tight as it would be if it had the higher cylinder pressure with the spray.
    On a clean launch we're consistent getting 1.22 60' times. Which probably isn't bad since the only chassis changes we've made has been shock adjustments.

Had kinda been hoping to have the engine freshened over the winter. But with parts availability being months out and the demand will only go up as seasons end, I think we may try to get one more season out it. Otherwise we would be looking at next July or early August to even get a set of rods. So that's another reason we will probably just run it N/A next year too. Besides so far I've only seen a couple cars faster and most of those are rails.
    This parts shortages has changed the way everyone plays their game especially with the fast cars. And mid-5’s is fast. Trust me I know. When we had ours running 8.90’s we were on cloud 9. Having done all the engineering and assembling mostly ourselves with the educated help of some good people.
    We were running 2 cars (and a fairly fast street car) at the time so money was tight. You know what it costs just to get people and equipment to the track for a 1 day show let alone a 2 day deal.

My engines didn’t cost what yours do by a long shot but yeah they still cost. And best be be planned off season.
    I would have given my left testicule (Sp)
    To own/run a steady mid 5 second car. Yeah even a Ford

thunderchicken

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 26, 2010
    Indianapolis
    This parts shortages has changed the way everyone plays their game especially with the fast cars. And mid-5’s is fast. Trust me I know. When we had ours running 8.90’s we were on cloud 9. Having done all the engineering and assembling mostly ourselves with the educated help of some good people.
    We were running 2 cars (and a fairly fast street car) at the time so money was tight. You know what it costs just to get people and equipment to the track for a 1 day show let alone a 2 day deal.

My engines didn’t cost what yours do by a long shot but yeah they still cost. And best be be planned off season.
    I would have given my left testicule (Sp)
    To own/run a steady mid 5 second car. Yeah even a Ford
    Yeah this whole parts and materials shortage crap just plain sucks. This year we've been running from 5.30- 5.52 with the higher end of that leaving from and idle and just stomping the pedal. Based on estimated 1/8-1/4 conversion charts it puts it basically 8.27-8.50 in 1/4 mile equivalent. I think there's a few things we can do to tune the chassis for this set up to gain a little more.
    Yes the costs are big that's for sure. I can't imagine trying to run 2 or 3 day events especially in this economy.
    A mid 5 sec car will sit you back in the seat a little bit and make those eyes go blurry for just a second. But I'm not telling you anything you don't already know

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Yeah this whole parts and materials shortage crap just plain sucks. This year we've been running from 5.30- 5.52 with the higher end of that leaving from and idle and just stomping the pedal. Based on estimated 1/8-1/4 conversion charts it puts it basically 8.27-8.50 in 1/4 mile equivalent. I think there's a few things we can do to tune the chassis for this set up to gain a little more.
    Yes the costs are big that's for sure. I can't imagine trying to run 2 or 3 day events especially in this economy.
    A mid 5 sec car will sit you back in the seat a little bit and make those eyes go blurry for just a second. But I'm not telling you anything you don't already know

Top Bottom