• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • femurphy77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 5, 2009
    S.E. of disorder
    lol anyone see Biden's grand new "mileage tax" crap?

Also, oil pan is on the 351w, mounts are going on tonight, and with any luck the coupe will be in the garage ready to receive it's new heart for fitting.
    He knows what's best for us, he even wants to help us be more frugal by asking the IRS to keep full records on any bank accounts with more than $600 in it. Along with his advise to fire your double barrel shotgun into the air to scare away bad guys I don't know how you CAN'T love this guy!

On another note my acquaintance said a grand for the edelbrock heads, not 1700. Still pricey but wanted to clarify.

tjh88

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 4, 2013
    Vallonia
    I just ordered a new Cold Case radiator and the dual fan combo for my Grand National yesterday. It's started running warm on the really hot days and I've noticed some antifreeze seepage so time to upgrade. Looking at a disc brake upgrade front and back this winter. The brakes sucked on these when new. The brakes have me a little intimidated but I do have some sources if I get myself in a bind.
    On another note, I drove it to work today. A couple of coworkers and I ordered pizza for lunch. The young delivery gal saw my GN shirt and said "so that's your Grand National out there." I was impressed.

jeffsqartan

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 21, 2012
    He knows what's best for us, he even wants to help us be more frugal by asking the IRS to keep full records on any bank accounts with more than $600 in it. Along with his advise to fire your double barrel shotgun into the air to scare away bad guys I don't know how you CAN'T love this guy!

On another note my acquaintance said a grand for the edelbrock heads, not 1700. Still pricey but wanted to clarify.
    1k sounds a smidge better than 1700 lol. Still outside my budget for the time being, but maybe this winter. Someone I know supposedly has GT40 heads. And if she doesn't, I may end up sneaking off to the wrecking yard and yoinking off a set while I'm yoinking a transmission for this beast.

Speaking of the beast:
    20210928_222847.jpg
    20210928_222832.jpg

femurphy77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 5, 2009
    S.E. of disorder
    I just ordered a new Cold Case radiator and the dual fan combo for my Grand National yesterday. It's started running warm on the really hot days and I've noticed some antifreeze seepage so time to upgrade. Looking at a disc brake upgrade front and back this winter. The brakes sucked on these when new. The brakes have me a little intimidated but I do have some sources if I get myself in a bind.
    On another note, I drove it to work today. A couple of coworkers and I ordered pizza for lunch. The young delivery gal saw my GN shirt and said "so that's your Grand National out there." I was impressed.
    It does give one hope when a "youngster" recognizes something outside of their generational cocoon! I went thru the car wash one time and the little girl running the tunnel noticed my SCCA "Wheel" on the back window of the truck and said she had just discovered autocross and "loved the hell out of it", her exact words!!

Jaybird1980

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 22, 2016
    North Central
    1k sounds a smidge better than 1700 lol. Still outside my budget for the time being, but maybe this winter. Someone I know supposedly has GT40 heads. And if she doesn't, I may end up sneaking off to the wrecking yard and yoinking off a set while I'm yoinking a transmission for this beast.

Speaking of the beast:
    View attachment 160885
    View attachment 160886
    How about it Jeff, should I steal the heads and intake off of it?

IMG_20210930_140141872.jpg
    1998 GT40P explorer/mountaineer intake.

Leaking timing chain cover and she is on the fence about fixing it. May be heading for scrapyard.

Attachments

• IMG_20210930_144538261_HDR.jpg
      IMG_20210930_144538261_HDR.jpg
      3 MB · Views: 1

jeffsqartan

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 21, 2012
    How about it Jeff, should I steal the heads and intake off of it?

View attachment 161054
    1998 GT40P explorer/mountaineer intake.

Leaking timing chain cover and she is on the fence about fixing it. May be heading for scrapyard.
    I'll come yoink them for ya if you want lol
    Edit - I don't need the intake, but wouldn't mind a set of heads. I'll run these factory 351 heads if I have to, but I don't want to lol

Jaybird1980

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 22, 2016
    North Central
    Edit - I don't need the intake, but wouldn't mind a set of heads. I'll run these factory 351 heads if I have to, but I don't want to lol
    If she doesn't fix it, she plans on scrapping it. If you are interested the smart thing would be buy the whole thing, pull what you want, then you scrap it.
    If you just want to make an offer on the heads, then pull them yourself, PM me and I will inform her if she decides to junk it.
    I'm also not sure what headers/manifolds you're using, but keep in mind these are P heads.

jeffsqartan

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 21, 2012
    If she doesn't fix it, she plans on scrapping it. If you are interested the smart thing would be buy the whole thing, pull what you want, then you scrap it.
    If you just want to make an offer on the heads, then pull them yourself, PM me and I will inform her if she decides to junk it.
    I'm also not sure what headers/manifolds you're using, but keep in mind these are P heads.
    I could be persuaded to irritate my wife in that manner. Will send a PM shortly.

jeffsqartan

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 21, 2012
    How far are you going on the engine build? Obviously it's a budget build but what are the plans?
    Once the turbo piping is built out and I have money again, I'll yoink the 351 back out and tear it the rest of the way down for a full rebuild. Bearings and all. However, I'm not doing more than a cam and head upgrades. Preferably dirt cheap heads. I plan to see how far I can push this thing with two Nagasaki noise makers.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    With the kits available today the brakes are not all that difficult. When you do this inspect the OEM brake lines on the car just because. Also upgrade the master Cylinder.

thunderchicken

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 26, 2010
    Indianapolis
    How far are you going on the engine build? Obviously it's a budget build but what are the plans?
    Once the turbo piping is built out and I have money again, I'll yoink the 351 back out and tear it the rest of the way down for a full rebuild. Bearings and all. However, I'm not doing more than a cam and head upgrades. Preferably dirt cheap heads. I plan to see how far I can push this thing with two Nagasaki noise makers.
    Ever thought about slapping 351C heads on it? Larger ports and no doubt better flow than any stock 351w head. I know it requires a little work on a couple coolant passages to make it work though

jeffsqartan

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 21, 2012

Ever thought about slapping 351C heads on it? Larger ports and no doubt better flow than any stock 351w head. I know it requires a little work on a couple coolant passages to make it work though
    I have not thought about 351c heads. Didn't know that was a thing. I'm curious what those would run.

Looking at the Mountaineer that Jaybird is talking about - it might actually have the transmission that I'm looking for. This could end up being a nice win for me. Already have at least one friend who's interested in the short block, too. Looking into options for using the 8.8 that's in it, since it has disc brakes.

thunderchicken

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 26, 2010
    Indianapolis
    I have not thought about 351c heads. Didn't know that was a thing. I'm curious what those would run.

Looking at the Mountaineer that Jaybird is talking about - it might actually have the transmission that I'm looking for. This could end up being a nice win for me. Already have at least one friend who's interested in the short block, too. Looking into options for using the 8.8 that's in it, since it has disc brakes.
    Well, 351c heads would be basically like copying a Bos 351. But not sure what intake would work with an efi set up.

Yeah that Mountaineer wouldn't be a bad deal at all

Jaybird1980

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 22, 2016
    North Central

I'm not for sure on the trans, I would assume it's the AODE, but it is AWD not 4wd. I don't know if that means anything other than transfer case. D.Kaufman would probably be able to help you.
    I'll have more info for you after I finish up some schooling with the kiddo. PM you later.

jeffsqartan

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 21, 2012
    Well, 351c heads would be basically like copying a Bos 351. But not sure what intake would work with an efi set up.

Yeah that Mountaineer wouldn't be a bad deal at all
    Looked into it a little and the 351c honestly sounds like a major PITA. There is a water jacket that has to be bored into the head (which you mentioned), plus a special intake that has to be used. Supposedly the 351c heads are the same or worse than GT40p heads in flow comparison.
    Question - the bolt holes have to be drilled out to fit the larger 351w head bolts. Think I could do that by hand, or is a machine shop going to be my answer here? And any thoughts on what it would cost to have it done?

Top Bottom