30   0   0
    Jul 29, 2008
    Crawfordsville

cosermann

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Aug 15, 2008
    Trapping works well if you use the right trap and the right technique. When we first moved to our new place a few years ago, it was infested w/moles. I trapped about 15 out of a .5 ac lot and haven't had a problem since. I highly recommend the "Easy Set Mole Eliminator". It's a scissor trap, made in Indiana if I recall correctly. I used a couple on my trap line and they did the job. Of course you have to know how to trap moles.

Buckhunter

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 25, 2009
    Shelby Co
    Moles

My yard seems to be infested with moles. I have never known how to actually kill them off. I stomp down their tunnels all the time. I now have some pretty good ideas on what to do next. Does anyone know what time of day these little buggers tend to be most active?

The ol 10-22 sounds much funner than setting up a trap :D

TheGhostRider

Watching from a distance…
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 10, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    My yard seems to be infested with moles. I have never known how to actually kill them off. I stomp down their tunnels all the time. I now have some pretty good ideas on what to do next. Does anyone know what time of day these little buggers tend to be most active?

The ol 10-22 sounds much funner than setting up a trap :D

I stomp down the hills...
    Go grab a beer... and the riot gun, 12 ga loaded with a light birdshot.

Go back about a half hour after you stomp down the hills and check for fresh activity.

Repeat as needed until you see a moving mound of dirt/grass.

Moving dirt/grass?! With said riot gun loaded with light bird shot of course
    approach the moving "hill"... aim the barrel on the leading edge and pull the trigger.
    If done properly, nobody but you and the mole knows what happened.
    I've done this for over 12 years in my back yard and I always get the mole.

It's a hell of a lot of fun!

PappyD

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 24, 2008
    Westfield
    My #1 mole eradicator was a 4 year old Jack Russell Terrier. My kids named him Sinbad and he lived up to his name for sure.

He would sit out back like a cat, just quietly watching the yard. His head would cock to one side..and....Zing! Off he would go, digging one out in a matter of seconds. He was a wonder of anti-mole efficiency!

Unfortunately old Sinbad got some weird neurological disease and we had to put him down. My wife was amazed because she thought that little dog wa indestructable. Little guy was always bringing dead stuff up on the porch.

Gotta get me another JRT!

Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 5, 2008
    Terre Haute

calcot7

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Dec 12, 2008
    Indy N Side
    Different day, different cat, different molle...................same result. Time of death 4:46 PM, 11/24/2009. Been after this one for some time now..........just waiting for the right shot. Much damage to the yard has occured, because this one was a beast. And he has been at his tunneling for some time. It had to be a quick. One shot............one kill. For the saftey of everyone involved or in the near vicinity, of course. It was clean. A head shot. Except for the digging and the disposal of the body it would finally be over. He was a big one. Just a hair under nine and one half inches and 2 inches in diameter. I guess I should have weighed him. It would have been the perfect mount, except that the head shot from the .22LRHP traveling through an inch of soil before penetrating the thick skull, destroyed the dignity of this worthy advirsary. Creamation was in order I believed. It was off to load the wood burning stove up.

Beau

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 20, 2008
    Colorado
    I don't have the pests. Nor could I dispose of them the proper way if I did because of where I live. However, I am moving back to CO next year. I have not gone on a prairie dog hunt since my early twenties and I can't wait!

Top Bottom