• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • colt45er

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Nov 6, 2008
    Avon, IN
    One evening late after work an insurance agent, a doctor, and a lawyer were sitting at the local watering hole talking about their week. The date happens to be December 24th 2011, in less than an hour Christmas would be here. The air is surprisingly warm for this time of year, but the rain has kept the skies grey. A somber mood is in the air.

Looking from the outside, one sees three well dressed, fit clean cut individuals. They sit around, tired after a long day’s work, they small talk until their food is ready.

The first one begins to eat the beef stew, while the other two enjoy the vegetable lasagna. They laugh at the humorous moments of the last 6 months and discuss the good memories they have shared. The conversation turns a little dim as they talk about how business had kept them away from their families so much this year. They discuss spending more time with their families next year, as a resolution they will do they chores and things they don’t like, just to spend time with their children and wife. They talk back and forth of how they know why they are working, they must provide for their families.

They talk about how it could be worse, they could live in a place like Iraq or Afghanistan where women and children are beaten and abused. No life isn’t so bad, at least no where they we raised. They are from a town just west of a city, a decent city really, big enough for pro football and basketball teams.
    The mood turns brighter as they laugh about the dangers of city living and Christmas shopping. How who in their right mind would go out and shop, on the day after Thanksgiving and risk getting trampled for a toy.

As the evening goes on, a tear forms in an eye. The other two look at him and instantly know why. Today he is working instead of being home, home with his newborn daughter. You see his daughter was born this morning. He hopes to see her soon. Her first night of life she will go to sleep on Christmas Eve without her father. Tomorrow she will wake up to full stockings hung, but no father will be there.

The other two reach over and give him a nudge, and then tip up the canteens they have been drinking from. As they raise up their canteens and drink together, they all smile because they are working on Christmas Eve, not to make it home to their families.

Many might not understand how these three can be happy while away on Christmas Eve, but to them it’s a choice they volunteered for. These three men are Soldiers in the National Guard. They chose to fight for the freedoms the love. It’s your neighbor that been gone, your doctor, your lawyer, your insurance agent. Tonight they celebrate the job that they do, and smile at the opportunities that are made.

Yes I am a Soldier in the Indiana National Guard. I am not posting this for recognition or rep, I am posting this because it came to mind. I am not a writer and I am sure there are plenty of errors, however it is how I feel right now.

Celebrate the men and women overseas, give them recognition yes, but possible more importantly, recognize the husbands and wives and children they leave behind while doing their duty.

I volunteered for service because it is something I wanted to do, you can thank me if you want, but my kids and my wife also made a sacrifice. Do you know someone who has a loved one deployed? Maybe buy them a dinner or take them to lunch. While away (I was not deployed) the only thing I cared about was to know my family was loved for and taken care of.

Last edited:

Indyhd

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jan 12, 2010
    Noblesville
    Nice post. It is way too easy for all of us to take our freedoms and the hardships of others for granted.

I respect all of those who have given up everything they have to serve for all of us. :patriot:

colt45er

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Nov 6, 2008
    Avon, IN
    Nice post. It is way too easy for all of us to take our freedoms and the hardships of others for granted.

I respect all of those who have given up everything they have to serve for all of us. :patriot:

When i was gone I was asked to sleep less than I ever had, work harder than I had for the most part, and stretched my comfort levels. Once again I have not been deployed, so I do not know first hand what that is like. however I do know that the support back home is just as important as the fighter overseas.

Being home is tough, I honestly cant imagine being a single parent. props to those who are.

Davegrave

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Jul 16, 2011
    Hammond, IN
    Good post, but until AT LEAST 3/4 way through, I thought it was an amazingly detailed and elaborate joke. When it turned out to not be I was shocked. The whole way through I just kept thinking "this guy takes his jokes seriously, he's really setting up the mood and atmosphere like no joke I've ever read before. I can't wait to see the punchline".

:laugh:

Top Bottom