The end of affordable table saws? Probably, if Congress/CPSC gets their way.

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    I was fortunate enough to wear one of these patches on my left shoulder, for just about 25 years. Otis and all of us were very serious about safety, accidents with elevators or escalators are just ghastly. We were years ahead of all of the other Skilled Trades even in the 1980's.

View attachment 345351
    Good for you.

But you still missed Mike's point. Watch it again.

freekforge

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jul 20, 2012
    marion
    Since its not in purple,
    Not to sure you would have done that well with me as a supervisor. At minimum I would have removed your presents from any future safety meetings.
    They're cool with me. Current committee exist because I complained enough until they started one. Current training on emergency response is because I organized it with the relevant Instructors. Supplies that we are getting are because I talked to the right people to get them. I'm taking safety classes to learn how to better prevent safety issues so it can be passed down through the committee to the guy on the floor. We are taking daily steps to become a safer workplace and comply with osha. The committee is my baby. They know to expect my smart-ass comments that I throw in to remind them of the mistakes they made that put me in horrible situations. They only got upset because the girl documenting the meeting took it serious and put it in the notes.

fullmetaljesus

Probably smoking a cigar.
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    Indy
    Personally, I'd say let's remove legally mandated warnings on tobacco, remove seatbelt laws remove, the mandated warnings on everything that has that dumb "in the state of California this causes cancer" ******** on it.

The government needs to be smaller and stop bitching at me about everything. If people are too ****ing dumb to know that sharp **** is sharp, then they get to learn the hard way.

Hey .gov leave me the **** alone.

BigRed

Banned More Than You
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 29, 2017
    1,000 yards out
    I was fortunate enough to wear one of these patches on my left shoulder, for just about 25 years. Otis and all of us were very serious about safety, accidents with elevators or escalators are just ghastly. We were years ahead of all of the other Skilled Trades even in the 1980's.

View attachment 345351
    I know Otis well.

Did it take a massa say so to make safe?

BigRed

Banned More Than You
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 29, 2017
    1,000 yards out
    Was it a covered load?

Must have been covered in horse ****.
    It was an open trailer going 20 down a local road.

I'm certain the fact that I did not have a seatbelt on put others at risk.

I still thank God to this day for the safety warning from a motorcycle cop meeting his quota.

Last edited:

BigRed

Banned More Than You
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 29, 2017
    1,000 yards out
    Personally, I'd say let's remove legally mandated warnings on tobacco, remove seatbelt laws remove, the mandated warnings on everything that has that dumb "in the state of California this causes cancer" ******** on it.

The government needs to be smaller and stop bitching at me about everything. If people are too ****ing dumb to know that sharp **** is sharp, then they get to learn the hard way.

Hey .gov leave me the **** alone.

But what if coffee is hot?

Piezak

Plinker
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 24, 2024
    Mooresville, IN
    I've been in those situations where safety is bemoaned upon the workers as if it is a tedious obligation to mention it. People instinctively know when they are expected to get certain work completed, but also know that management is not serious about just checking a box just so that they can escape liability.

Piezak

Plinker
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 24, 2024
    Mooresville, IN
    TL;DW: Consumer Product Safety Commission is trying to eliminate 40,000 ER visits per year related to table saw accidents. So they are pushing to force manufacturers to use flesh sensing tech on ALL table saws. (Name brand is Saw Stop)

It will eliminate all inexpensive saws because they are not robust enough to support the physics of sawstop tech. And midrange and higher saws will increase by hundreds of dollars. So you wont be able to get into a table saw for less than $750 or so. (if you are a saw snob that only buys the best, save it. Not all of us need a $1,000 saw for weekend projects once or twice a year or less)

SawStop CEO said if the law passes he will pull a Jonas Salk and give up his patent for the good of the people. (I smell a rat) And the video author believes that this is the final straw that will embolden .gov and nudge them to pass the law.

Been meaning to buy one for several years because I need to do about 1-4 cuts a year, max. (I can use my existing saws for all but a few cuts) But I have access to a saw at work so I take the piece and use theirs. Given this potential, maybe its time for me to finally buy one.

EDIT: IF you have been living in a hole, Saw Stop is tech that senses when flesh touches the spinning blade. When it happens, in a split second the blade retracts violently under the table into a metal block to stop the blade instantly. So you end up with a nick instead of a missing digit(s). It does have the downfall that sometimes wet lumber can sometimes cause a false positive.

I occasionally watch "This Old House". These Saw Stop mechanisms have been shown off in their show more than once ... and I don't watch it everytime it is on. They test it with a hot dog. And, the hot dog comes out looking very good.

For me personally, I think pushing a piece of wood through with a scrap piece of wood is fine.

Here is my old saw. It is from the 1950's. I made the base so that I could roll it to the shed and back to the garage when I want.

20211018_173557.jpg 20211018_173640.jpg

BigRed

Banned More Than You
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 29, 2017
    1,000 yards out
    I occasionally watch "This Old House". These Saw Stop mechanisms have been shown off in their show more than once ... and I don't watch it everytime it is on. They test it with a hot dog. And, the hot dog comes out looking very good.

For me personally, I think pushing a piece of wood through with a scrap piece of wood is fine.

Here is my old saw. It is from the 1950's. I made the base so that I could roll it to the shed and back to the garage when I want.

View attachment 345362 View attachment 345363
    Reminds me of a story of a guy that wanted to put his wiener in the pickle slicer.

Creedmoor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 10, 2022
    Madison Co Indiana
    They're cool with me. Current committee exist because I complained enough until they started one. Current training on emergency response is because I organized it with the relevant Instructors. Supplies that we are getting are because I talked to the right people to get them. I'm taking safety classes to learn how to better prevent safety issues so it can be passed down through the committee to the guy on the floor. We are taking daily steps to become a safer workplace and comply with osha. The committee is my baby. They know to expect my smart-ass comments that I throw in to remind them of the mistakes they made that put me in horrible situations. They only got upset because the girl documenting the meeting took it serious and put it in the notes.
    That's fair, thanks

freekforge

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jul 20, 2012
    marion
    That's fair, thanks
    All that being said if someone gets hurt for being an idiot I always ask them if they mind me taking a picture to show the floor guys. Then I write ridiculously detailed reports to show the guys too. Can't let them get hurt themselves but if we show them pictures and reports of grinder injuries ranging from paper cuts to ground off flesh they get that ouchie mistake by proxy and then grinder accidents go down.

Top Bottom