• ...and so much more!
  • pjcalla

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Jan 29, 2009
    Hamilton County
    300 Savage.

I inherited a Savage 99 chambered in 300 Savage. I buy a box or eight every time I see it at the 1500. I actually found 2 old boxes at a Wally World a couple years ago on clearance. I keep my brass, so in the event it completely disappears, I will be covered. I know you can make 308 brass work, but I do not own a 308 (yet).

You just don't see that caliber around much, if at all.

gunman41mag

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 1, 2011
    SOUTH of YOU
    I just bought 250 rounds of 7.63 MAUSER for my 16 inch barrel broomhandle rifle & I also have broomhandle handgun. This caliber is dying also, don't know any company that has made a gun for that caliber since 1937

85t5mcss

Master
    Rating - 95.2%
    20   1   0
    Mar 23, 2011
    Zionsville-NW Indy
    I'm not real familiar with the obscure rounds, but from the little I do see I will add .222

Grew up shooting this and a revolver with 22L. Fortunately I can still sometimes find 222 at a decent price and 22L...well, haven't seen it or really looked for it.

hemicharger

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   1
    Mar 14, 2008
    Anywhere
    A gentleman brought in a Ruger Security Six chambered in .380 Rim yesterday. I had never heard of that caliber. I can only imagine trying to find ammo for it.

NullSyndrome

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Dec 5, 2009
    Gilbert, AZ
    When the .357sig hit the scene, I was sure it wouldn't last. But it proved me wrong. Other makers jumped on the bandwagon and started chambering guns for it.

I would imagine .45 GAP would be on it's way out soon, unless someone other than Glock starts chambering for it. That seems to be what saves a caliber. Look at rounds like the .41AE and .50AE, the .25NAA and .32NAA, the .45 GAP, etc. They are still found if you really look for them, but for how long? One-make calibers don't hang around long.

I'm seeing a lot less of the .38 Super, but it's still around for now. It's not as popular in competition as it used to be, thanks to the .40 S&W. Competition use was what kept it alive in my opinion.

gunman41mag

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 1, 2011
    SOUTH of YOU
    When the .357sig hit the scene, I was sure it wouldn't last. But it proved me wrong. Other makers jumped on the bandwagon and started chambering guns for it.

I would imagine .45 GAP would be on it's way out soon, unless someone other than Glock starts chambering for it. That seems to be what saves a caliber. Look at rounds like the .41AE and .50AE, the .25NAA and .32NAA, the .45 GAP, etc. They are still found if you really look for them, but for how long? One-make calibers don't hang around long.

I'm seeing a lot less of the .38 Super, but it's still around for now. It's not as popular in competition as it used to be, thanks to the .40 S&W. Competition use was what kept it alive in my opinion.
    I really like the 25 NAA & 32 NAA, I think they are the perfect round for the tiny mouse gun. BUT people haven't been buying guns chamber for those two rounds.

shibumiseeker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Nov 11, 2009
    near Bedford on a whole lot of land.
    10mm, it only has a cult following as of now. It came out for the F.B.I., but they found it had too much penetration...alas the .40 S&W ( 10mm short) was born. Which of course has become the main stay for almost all law enforcement agencies.

Wrong on a couple counts. 10mm has gained a LOT of popularity in the last decade and is fast becoming a mainstay, if still niche, caliber especially among handgun hunters who want to be able to use a reliable autoloader.

Also, overpenetration was not the issue for the FBI, recoil was. It took too much training for agents to qualify with it as it was way more recoil than they were used to with 9mms.

Recoil issues are not as bad as they were when it was first introduced. It's still a heavier recoiling round than most autoloaders but the main production gun for the 10mm round, the Glock 20, tames that recoil substantially.

My prediction is that within another decade, the 10mm will be about as popular a round as the .44magnum as far as gun and ammunition sales are concerned.

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    iSeekLight
    Top Bottom