Not open for further replies.

T-DOGG

I'm Spicy, deal with it.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 99.6%
    263   1   0
    Feb 4, 2011
    New Haven
    I should have added to my previous post, what is the groups thoughts on copper fouling removing? Just when needed, after X amount of rounds?
    You'll get different opinions. I've probably read the same stuff you have. I've read guys who do complete cleaning everytime down to bare metal, guys who won't use bronze brushes, guys who only run patches and guys who barely clean at all.

I'm more laid back with centerfire in regards to the bore. I run a bore snake with a light amount of cleaner a couple of times through my bore after each range trip, but rarely do I ever do a deep scrub. I haven't noticed any issues by doing this. And even when I do a deep scrub, doesn't seem like a whole lot really comes out (Hoppes and BoreTech). I assume fast bullets and chrome lining might factor in.

I discussed rimfire cleaning with patience0830 at SGE earlier this year and we determined I was cleaning mine too often. Clean the carbon ring in the chamber as needed, blow some compressed air down the bore if you want to, clean the bore when accuracy begins to degrade. Rimfire accuracy is a whole other game. Slower bullets, lead bullets, dirty a$$ ammo.

88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    I actually miss having time to do all the PM and repairs on our vehicles. Wouldn't want to make a career out of it but I enjoy wrenching on a car. Especially if the block is iron and orange. :cool:

The only cars I HATED working on was a series of BMWs (sorry 88) we owned and put 200k on each one. Great cars but dang....hard to work on. I had this little plastic retainer break in the rear window sunscreen. Dealer wanted something like $500 (?) to replace. I refused and did it myself. Literally a $.50 part but (also literally) darned near required disassembly of the entire car.

The dealer was right in the cost....

Some BMWs are better than others. I sold my last 5 series with no regrets. The earlier ones were fantastic in engineering but the later ones were fragile. I have my 98 3 series in the garage right now, getting a mid life refresh. It will be good for another 20 years once done

88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    My daughter had an A6 Quattro until it grenaded at 175k miles. Drove that car through high school and most of college. Then I bought her a poor man’s Audi A6 - Volkswagen Passat.

That Audi would go through a foot of snow without any concern.

Her boyfriend bought that VW and now she drives a Jeep. Once she was paying for it herself, German cars lost there appeal.

Long story. Lol

Both of my sons began their driving lives with manual transmission BMW E30s. Those were great cars and one (my 88 BMW E30 with the M50 swap) is still in the family. I’d love to find another E30 to use as a daily driver

Bennettjh

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 8, 2012
    Columbus
    You'll get different opinions. I've probably read the same stuff you have. I've read guys who do complete cleaning everytime down to bare metal, guys who won't use bronze brushes, guys who only run patches and guys who barely clean at all.

I'm more laid back with centerfire in regards to the bore. I run a bore snake with a light amount of cleaner a couple of times through my bore after each range trip, but rarely do I ever do a deep scrub. I haven't noticed any issues by doing this. And even when I do a deep scrub, doesn't seem like a whole lot really comes out (Hoppes and BoreTech). I assume fast bullets and chrome lining might factor in.

I discussed rimfire cleaning with patience0830 at SGE earlier this year and we determined I was cleaning mine too often. Clean the carbon ring in the chamber as needed, blow some compressed air down the bore if you want to, clean the bore when accuracy begins to degrade. Rimfire accuracy is a whole other game. Slower bullets, lead bullets, dirty a$$ ammo.
    This is pretty much my regimen now. I brush some cleaner through, then run a mop with oil through.

Whatever works for the individual and their firearms is what's important.

gmcttr

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    May 22, 2013
    Columbus
    So you probably use a dedicated copper remover? I know Boretech makes a nice one.
    Mostly Boretech Eliminator in the centerfires and BT Rimfire in the .22's.

I also like BT's Proof-Positive rods and jags.

I haven't cleaned my CZ457 .22LR since before the FGE and have shot it at least 3 times since. I have been running a bore snake thru it twice between "outings" to get the loose stuff out since I'm running a suppressor. IMHO bore snakes don't do much and I don't really call that cleaning. I also have used a .243 brush in the chamber to prevent a carbon ring from building up before pulling the snake thru.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom