• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Hkindiana

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Sep 19, 2010
    Southern Hills
    For those of you that did not purchase a 1911 in round one or round two, The CMP is now taking applications for 1911 pistol purchases in round three. Of course, due To Bidenflation, the cost has gone up 19%, but still a good deal for a cool piece of history. You have until September 30th to get your paperwork in. Go to odcmp.com and click on “sales” for the purchase packet and info.

radar8756

Works for Me
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   1
    Sep 21, 2010
    Westville, IN
    ... The CMP is now taking applications for 1911 pistol purchases in round three. ..... Go to odcmp.com and click on “sales” for the purchase packet and info.

Website lists Requirements as:
    1) proof of U.S. Citizenship,
    2) proof of membership in a
    CMP affiliated club,
    3) proof of participation in a
    marksmanship activity,
    4) a completed 1911 order form,
    including a new form 2A with notary,
    5) a copy of current driver’s license .

Are 2 & 3 mandatory ?

-----------
    Clubs I already belong to do not show as "Affiliated Club"
    Closest to me is Valparasio

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    CMP affiliated club,
    marksmanship activity,

Are 2 & 3 mandatory ?

-----------
    Yes. If you’ve taken a training class where shooting proficiency was a part of it, that counts for marksmanshiP. If you’re a member of ISPRA (Indiana State Rifle and Pistol Assoc), that counts for the other.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    Yes. If you’ve taken a training class where shooting proficiency was a part of it, that counts for marksmanshiP. If you’re a member of ISPRA (Indiana State Rifle and Pistol Assoc), that counts for the other.
    I joined the Garand Collector's Association for 25 bucks a year, and that counts as a club. Your LTCH also counts as participation in a marksmanship activity.

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    I think they used to word it as a "shooting" activity. I don't remember the marksmanship wording when I joined. But that was about 10 years ago.
    I bought a Garand last year and used a certificate I earned when I took a training class the Bedford PD put on about 10 years ago. That seemed to satisfy them. I forget how it’s worded but the way I interpreted it, they wanted some indication you were proficient. I think somewhere, I even read they took proof of training for a carry permit/license…maybe our LTCH is all the proof they need?

Hkindiana

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Sep 19, 2010
    Southern Hills
    YES, the LTCH counts as your proof of marksmanship. If you are a member of the OGCA (Ohio Gun Collectors association), that counts as a CMP affiliated club. The NRA does not count

radar8756

Works for Me
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   1
    Sep 21, 2010
    Westville, IN
    Further Investigation reveals several ways to meet Points 2 & 3

2: American Legion
    3: Veteran or Over 60

----------------

2. Membership in CMP Affiliated Organization: You
    must provide a copy of your current membership card
    or other proof of membership. This requirement cannot
    be waived. The CMP currently has over 2,000 affiliated
    organizations located in many parts of the country.
    Membership in many of these organizations costs
    $25.00 or less and can be accomplished online. A listing
    of affiliated organizations can be found by clicking on
    our “CLUBS” tab on our web site at www.TheCMP.org. If
    you have any difficulty in locating a club, please contact
    the CMP at 256-835-8455 or by emailing custserve@
    TheCMP.org. We will find one for you.
    In addition to shooting clubs, the CMP also has several
    special affiliates. Membership in these organizations
    satisfies our requirement for purchase. These special
    affiliates include:
    • Congressionally chartered veterans’ organizations
    such as the VFW, AL, DAV, MCL, etc.

• U.S. Military services (active or reserves), National
    Guard, to include retirees. Copy of ID required.
    • Law Enforcement departments and agencies and
    Law Enforcement organizations and associations
    (to include LEO retirees). Copy of ID required. Note:
    Club membership IS required for purchase of rifles,
    parts, and ammunition. Club membership is NOT
    required for instructional publications or videos or
    CMP memorabilia.

3. Marksmanship or other Firearms Related Activity: You
    must provide proof of participation in a marksmanship
    related activity or otherwise show familiarity with the
    safe handling of firearms and range procedures. Your
    marksmanship related activity does not have to be
    with highpower rifles; it can be with smallbore rifles,
    pistols, air guns or shotguns. Proof of marksmanship
    participation can be provided by documenting any of
    the following:
    Current or past military or law enforcement service.
    • Participation in a rifle, pistol, air gun or shotgun
    competition (provide copy of results bulletin).
    • Completion of a marksmanship clinic that included
    live fire training (provide a copy of the certificate of
    completion or a statement from the instructor).
    • Distinguished, Instructor, or Coach status.
    Concealed Carry License.
    • Firearms Owner Identification Card that includes live
    fire training.
    • FFL or C&R license.
    • Completion of a Hunter Safety Course that included
    live fire training.
    • Certification from range or club official or law
    enforcement officer witnessing shooting activity. A
    form for use in completing and certifying your range
    firing can be downloaded from the CMP web site at
    • No proof of marksmanship required if over age 60.
    Proof of club membership and citizenship required
    for all ages.
    NOTE: Proof of marksmanship activity is only required
    for purchase of rifles.

BrassBandit

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 10, 2016
    Brownsburg
    Has anyone gone through CMP recently for a Garand? I’d love to get one, an M1C/D would be awesome but not sure the chances of finding one is. How long is the wait and what’s the condition of current ones that are coming through?

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    Has anyone gone through CMP recently for a Garand? I’d love to get one, an M1C/D would be awesome but not sure the chances of finding one is. How long is the wait and what’s the condition of current ones that are coming through?
    We did back at Christmas time. The pickings were slim. About the only things available then were the ones where you get a vintage receiver but many of the other parts are new production. That was 9 months ago now. Things might have changed. The wait wasn’t long at all.

BrassBandit

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 10, 2016
    Brownsburg
    We did back at Christmas time. The pickings were slim. About the only things available then were the ones where you get a vintage receiver but many of the other parts are new production. That was 9 months ago now. Things might have changed. The wait wasn’t long at all.
    Thanks. Kinda what I figured but you never know how/where they get them. I think in general, finding a matching numbers complete rifle is nearly over.

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    Thanks. Kinda what I figured but you never know how/where they get them. I think in general, finding a matching numbers complete rifle is nearly over.
    No doubt. It’s kinda sad when you go through their website and you see all the models now all sold out. Again, I haven’t checked them recently…maybe they found a box car full since then. :D

92FSTech

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 24, 2020
    North Central
    We got a rack grade about 2 weeks ago. It was about a 6 week wait, and the gun was functional, although kind of rough. The stock was varnished and took a lot of work to strip and then oil it. Both handguards have small cracks, but not bad enough to compromise overall integrity and they are functional as-is. The receiver (SA from Jan 1945) has been refinished. There is pretty heavy pitting below the woodline, particularly on the reciever lugs, but it's been finished over. The barrel is from 1955, and the gun did not come with the typical muzzle and throat readings listed on the tag...but it appears to have strong rifling, won't swallow a bullet at the muzzle, and shoots about the same as my other Garands at 100yd. The op-rod was re-painted black at some point in it's life, but I think that was done by whatever foreign military had the gun, not by the CMP, as the paint is pretty worn and chipped and looks like it's been on there for quite a while. It's not as nice as what I got 2 or 3 years ago, but still not a bad rifle for what you're paying, especially in today's market. I definitely felt like it fell within the description on the website for a rack grade rifle, so no complaints there.

TrueSeanamus

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 8, 2021
    Indiana
    For those of you that did not purchase a 1911 in round one or round two, The CMP is now taking applications for 1911 pistol purchases in round three. Of course, due To Bidenflation, the cost has gone up 19%, but still a good deal for a cool piece of history. You have until September 30th to get your paperwork in. Go to odcmp.com and click on “sales” for the purchase packet and info.
    Guess I’ll never get one of those 1911’s. Especially if they’ve raised the price by several hundred more. :ugh: Every time they put them up I’m dead broke.

TrueSeanamus

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 8, 2021
    Indiana
    CMP affiliated club,
    marksmanship activity,

Are 2 & 3 mandatory ?

-----------
    Yes both of those are required. As others have said (and as I did several years ago to get my garand) the LTCH counts as proof of shooting activity and you can join the Garand collectors association for 25$ and that satisfies the affiliated club plus you get 4 magazines a year with nice color pictures and interesting articles.

They should have garands for a while as they go through rebuilding the tens of thousands they received back from…the Philippines I want to say, a few years ago. Maybe one year we will see the nearly 1 million garands and m1 carbines in Korea repatriated. But probably not. Don’t want any drive-bys happening with those!

CMP is becoming a bit of a shadow of itself though. Their inventory is always low any more and I don’t even know the last time they had surplus ammo in stock. Thank god I was able to get several hundred rounds of nice HXP both loose and on clips from them towards the end of them stocking it in the mid 2010’s. The price of m1 ball these days is bonkers unless you are buying suspicious ammo.

TrueSeanamus

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 8, 2021
    Indiana
    Yeah, I wish they had stuck with the strict limits they used to have. The flippers cleaned them out pretty quick when they were changed.
    Absolutely should have kept the limits. Even 12 garands a year is crazy. It was allegedly to provide good rifles to train marksmanship on, not fill collectors safes for decades or pad scummy flippers wallets. I could see MAYBE one per year or something so collections could still happen but not deplete the stocks super fast.

I hope they can find more surplus ammo some day. HXP seems pretty nice in my experience with it. Haven’t even bothered with anyone else.

KellyinAvon

Blue-ID Mafia Consigliere
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 22, 2012
    Avon
    I got my 1911A1 from the first batch of paperwork (September 2017 IIRC), second shipment of 1911s since I had a random number in the high 15Ks. The phone rang with an Alabama area code August 2019.

It's a piece of history (WWII, Korea and Vietnam before going through the depot in Anniston in 1980 and presumably being in a crate for many years to follow) and if you have the disposable income/room in the safe it is something to think about.

And despite the Wicked Witch of Napa Valley's dire predictions, tens of thousands of guns weren't unleashed in communities (link is down, from a press release by some anti from Rhode Island.) @TrueSeanamus posted something along this line up-thread and the brain cells fired up. Funny how nobody called these weapons of war, weapons of war.

Top Bottom