The Browning Hi-Power, Assembly and Disassembly, and a little rant.

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • geronimojoe85

Master
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Nov 16, 2009
    The Browning hi-power:

To say that I've got no love for the BHP is not quite accurate, but it's not far off either. The chief reason that I have for avoiding this design is the fact that (if you hadn't noticed from previous threads) I have big fat stupid hands. This design turns the web of my hand into freaking hamburger, handburger if you will. But there are other reasons I dislike the BHP. The safety is not only small, but I dislike how vague it is. Is it off? Is it on? I don't know there's no click to tell me, audible or tactile JMB gives us squat. Magazine disconnect, need I say more? Not only does no mag render your gun a paperweight, the disconnect adds some serious weight to the trigger pull. Magazines don't drop free so one handed operation is that much harder. If you ask me JMB should have just left this design on the drawing board.

Ok, now that my blood pressure has dropped back to normal let me say that all of my above complaints are fixable. With all of my complaints swept to the side you get to the meat and potatoes of what the BHP really is. It is a reliable design that set the groundwork for the "wonder-nines" with its link less locked breach operation and double stack magazine. It is more accurate than I sure am, and carries remarkably well. So JMB has my respect, but I still hate that I have to make the gun work for me.

At any rate these guns are interesting and are becoming increasingly less common in the market. And less and less people know how to work these guns sufficiently. So let's start with the field strip and work through the detail strip.

First lock the slide to the rear and remove the magazine:

Push the safety up into the takedown notch:

While pushing up on the slide release push it through from the other side:

Remove the slide release from the frame:

While holding the slide swipe the safety down and remove the slide from the frame:

Remove the recoil spring and guide:

Remove the barrel:

With a punch drive out the pin that retains the transfer bar:

Draw out the pin and remove the transfer bar:

With a punch, compress the firing pin and slide off the retaining plate much like a 1911:

Remove the firing pin and spring:

Using a punch, drive out the extractor retaining pin:

Place your finger over the extractor as you draw out the punch lest your extractor and spring become cat toys:

Last edited:

geronimojoe85

Master
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Nov 16, 2009
    On to the frame:

Remove the grips:

Drive out the trigger retaining pin:

Remove the transfer arm:

Remove the trigger assembly:

Drive out the pin that retains the magazine plunger and spring. Keep a finger over the plunger, remember, cat toys:

Drive out the trigger spring retaining pin and remove the spring:

Hold the hammer back and depress the sear:

Slowly lower the hammer:

Drive out the sear retaining pin:

As you draw out the punch hold the sear and lift it from the frame:

Rotate the ejector forward:

Pull the safety out of the frame:

Remove the ejector:

Remove the hammer, hammer strut and hammer spring:

Remove the sear spring:

Compress the magazine release and turn the retaining screw to release the release:

Remove the release:

Turn the retaining screw and remove the spring and retainer:

Don't look now, it's naked:

Last edited:

M67

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 15, 2011
    Southernish Indiana
    I like Hi Powers, they are a classic design that feels and looks...right.

But, that mag safety does need taken out.

I agree on the small aspect, I have a set of this Mil Tac grips on mine, and the grip width is thinner that most 1911s.

Triggers take a while to get used to, that little creep from the transfer bar, it's like a 2 stage trigger.

I tend to like spur hammers over the rouled. And with the spur trigger, they are at least easier to bob it they bite you. That being said, having a completely bobbed, flush hammer, is a very interesting and cool look on a Hi Power.

I think they need grip screw bushings, and not a big fan of the metric threads on it but it happens.

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    Nice tutorial as usual. Like you said, all the negatives can be corrected. I know a guy who has one that the mags drop free, trigger feels great and it shoots really well. He can't use it for IDPA anymore since he technically removed part of the safety aspect but it is now his Steel gun.

hrearden

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 1, 2012
    Another good post. Admittedly, this is a design Im not all that familiar with. It just reaffirms my decision to become a CZ man.

M67

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 15, 2011
    Southernish Indiana
    But at least with a Hi Power, you can change parts or work on them (take them apart) with no real special tools.

Never attempted a CZ, but heard they are spring heavy and not user friendly without a wide selection of slave pins. Both designs are pretty reliable though, and if I remember right, the Hi Power is the most widely used military handgun across the world, lots of countries produce Hi Power copies

I like CZs, had a 75 SP-01, thing was a tank, especially with a full mag, but Hi Powers......mmmm....Hi Power

hrearden

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 1, 2012
    But at least with a Hi Power, you can change parts or work on them (take them apart) with no real special tools.

Never attempted a CZ, but heard they are spring heavy and not user friendly without a wide selection of slave pins. Both designs are pretty reliable though, and if I remember right, the Hi Power is the most widely used military handgun across the world, lots of countries produce Hi Power copies

I like CZs, had a 75 SP-01, thing was a tank, especially with a full mag, but Hi Powers......mmmm....Hi Power
    That can be true, but slave pins are easily acquired through broken drill bits or purchasing garage sale drill bits. As far as the most widely used military firearm, I think you have that backwards. Im pretty sure thats the CZ75 and copies thereof.

hrearden

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 1, 2012
    My comparison to the CZ was from a function standpoint. Mag drop free, SA/DA w/manual safety, and a nice profile for concealed carry or anything else. Plus, the "no plastic toys" guys cant even b!tch about its construction since its steel. The grip design on the 75 and its variants is unmatched.

M67

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 15, 2011
    Southernish Indiana
    That can be true, but slave pins are easily acquired through broken drill bits or purchasing garage sale drill bits. As far as the most widely used military firearm, I think you have that backwards. Im pretty sure thats the CZ75 and copies thereof.

But in the field if, for some reason, it needs to be fully taken apart, slave pins aren't an option. But I agree, I've used bar stock and broken bits for slave pins. Hell, used a couple tooth pics before.

As for the Hi Power - CZ military use

"While the Browning Hi-Power is almost unquestionably the most widely distributed military pistol in the world, the CZ-75′s success has earned it the number two slot."

CZ-75: Military Sidearm Extraordinaire | Shooters' Journal

That is of course only 1 article, but I've heard that many of times. There are a ton of countries that have produced Hi Powers

jbombelli

ITG Certified
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 17, 2008
    Brownsburg, IN
    Your posts are a fantastic resource for the forums. I also particularly enjoyed "handburger." It reminded me of my first experience with a Walther PPK...

Mine too! I disdain the PPK to this day because of that.

But back on topic... the HiPower is my favorite handgun of all time. Mine is in to Allen M right now to get some work done on it. Night sights, refinish, new C&S hammer/sear/spring kit...

VERT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    Mine too! I disdain the PPK to this day because of that.

But back on topic... the HiPower is my favorite handgun of all time. Mine is in to Allen M right now to get some work done on it. Night sights, refinish, new C&S hammer/sear/spring kit...

Is that the same gun you got from me? When it is done you have to post pictures. I am not the type of person that regrets selling/trading guns but that is one the I would like to have back. It shot great and sounds like it will be even better.

jbombelli

ITG Certified
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 17, 2008
    Brownsburg, IN
    Is that the same gun you got from me? When it is done you have to post pictures. I am not the type of person that regrets selling/trading guns but that is one the I would like to have back. It shot great and sounds like it will be even better.

Yup. Same one. I'll certainly post pics!

88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    Yup, yank the mag disco and add a C&S safety.
    Nice rigs made nicer :)
    IMHO it's the only 9mm worth having.

I did those mods to mine and it really was an improvement. I've had both CZs and my Hi Power completely apart and I don't recall the CZs being that much more difficult to disassemble. Then again, it's been a couple of years since I've had either taken down completely. The CZ does require a pair of slave pins if you remove the trigger assembly and disassemble the sear cage, but if you are not swapping triggers or sears out, there is little need to disassemble those parts. Both are great guns, but the CZ can give a better trigger than I was ever able to achieve on the Hi Power. Both fit the hand exceedingly well for my average sized hands.

drillsgt

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    108   0   0
    Nov 29, 2009
    Sioux Falls, SD
    There's nothing like a nice Hi-Power, here are two customs I did I wish I still had. I'd like to build another one but new HP prices are ridiculous and used HP's aren't available like they used to be.

indyblue

Guns & Pool Shooter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 13, 2013
    Indy Northside `O=o-
    I wonder how similar to my BDM this is. I may be able to use this as a guide for it as well.
    I've never needed to take my BDM down this far for anything but it is interesting.

Take-down takes about 5 seconds; drop mag, lock slide back, flip take-down lever, release slide and off. Thats it!

Never had any trouble with it and is nice and skinny for comfy carry and hold 15+1. The "Dual Mode" is cool (if not useless), I keep it in pistol mode but have played with revolver mode a few times. The safety has a nice positive feel and action and is also an ambidexterous de-cocking lever. The magazine "pops" out when you push the release button just fine. I had Browning make my mag release ambi as well.

View attachment 24929

Top Bottom