• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Sanguine Samurai

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 18, 2010
    Indiana
    I wrote this persuasive essay in my college english composition class last November. I have debated posting it because I know some people like to critisize for critisizm's sake, but I know there are those who will appreciate it. I may have neglected a point here or there, but I was limited to five pages so I had to do some editing to fit the criteria of the assignment. I have also edited the citations so it will flow a little better when read. Thanks and enjoy!

The Boy Scout’s Motto in Uncertain Times:

Are Americans ready for a large scale disaster? For the most part, the answer is no. The average American is oblivious to the fact that many of the modern conveniences he or she takes for granted on a daily basis may not always be available. Electricity, clean water, fuel, commercial transit, and law enforcement all depend on economic and infrastructural stability to function and remain available to the populous. War, natural disaster, civil unrest, and economic collapse may bring many of the services, in which Americans have grown accustomed, to a screeching halt. As witnessed in the events of 9/11 the United States of America is not immune to attack from foreign entities as many Americans would have liked to think. The state of disarray that resulted from the destruction left in the wake of hurricane Katrina showed just how mighty the wrath of Mother Nature can be. With the price of fuel, precious metals, and food on a steady rise, combined with a high unemployment rate and unstable stock market, it is not outside the realm of reason that, at some point, a breaking point will be reached. Due to the convenience and relative comfort of modern society most Americans lack the skills and state of mind required to live self-reliantly. The solution to this problem can be summed up best with the Boy Scout’s motto: be prepared. Americans need to separate themselves from the frivolous wants of modern society and concentrate on preparing themselves for the worst case scenario to insure a prosperous future.

While the chance of a disaster occurring from a day to day basis is extremely low, on a long enough time scale that chance increases. The question is not if, but when? With a continuously growing national population, the number of people affected by a disaster or series of disasters also increases with time. America today, as one of the most prosperous nations in the world, offers many distractions from the reality that disaster could strike anywhere at any time. Television, the internet, occupations, recreational pass times, bills, daily travel, and many other activities keep the average American rather busy, but at what cost? How often does anyone stop to think what if? What if the daily hustle and bustle of life was interrupted with a devastating disaster? What would he or she do if such a disaster were to take place? What if help did not arrive for hours, days, months, or even longer? The sad reality is not often enough.

A staggering and overwhelming number of events could leave the average unprepared American helpless. Natural disasters such as pandimics, hurricanes, tornados, floods, earthquakes, drought, blizzards, volcanic eruptions, wild fires, tsunami, even large meteorite impacts, and solar flares could devastate entire populations. Hurricane Katrina, for example, was one of the most devastating natural disasters in American history. Over a million people were evacuated from their homes in the gulf region. More than 1000 people died as a result of both direct hurricane damage and extensive flooding as the levy system that contained the Mississippi River failed.

Natural disasters are not the only type of emergency that threaten the lives of Americans. Man-made disaster is a monster with many faces. From war and terrorist attacks to nuclear meltdown and oil spills, the world today can be a dangerous place to live. Since the dawn of man, war has disrupted the lives of countless people who happened to live in war torn areas. Terrorist attacks occur without warning. As time goes on, it seems that terrorists are conjuring more sophisticated and efficient means of attack. Form whom, where, and to what scale the next attack could be is uncertain at best.

Aside from people attacking other people, the very technology that makes the life of Americans easier could lead to their demise. Although nuclear reactors are generally safe, they are made by humans, and humans by nature, tend to make mistakes. The United States of America by sheer number, with 65 nuclear power plants containing 104 functional nuclear reactors scattered across 31 states, has a much greater chance of nuclear meltdown than countries with fewer to no nuclear power plants. Human error is not the only circumstance that can cause a nuclear power plant to critically fail. As witnessed in the 9.0 earthquake in Japan on March 11, 2011, combined with the following tsunami that destroyed the Fukushima nuclear power facility, natural disasters may also pose a threat to nuclear reactors. Large scale oil spills such as the Deepwater Horizon oil spill in the Gulf of Mexico on April 20, 2010 had detrimental effects on the lives of Americans all across the gulf coast for the entire following summer.

Extreme economic downturns and civil unrest are also very real concerns. The national debt is at an all-time high. Since the implementation of the Federal Reserve system the United States dollar has lost, and continues to lose, value every year. The cost of living, in turn, increases every year. The price of fuel, food, housing, and energy in America are higher than ever, and no relief is in sight. High unemployment rates plague the nation. As the American middle class fades from existence an increase in crime is logically sure to follow. As more and more people are without the means to provide for themselves and their families they will become more desperate. Desperate times call for desperate measures. If the economy does not take a turn for the better it is likely that civil unrest will become more prevalent.

What sort of preparations can be made? The most important preparation is knowledge. To make the time required to attain the knowledge and skills needed to survive a disaster will take some sacrifice. Any and all time and money that can be spared will need to be allocated to learning and practicing survival related topics such as first aid, water purification, fire crafting, firearm safety and target practice, hunting, agriculture, food preparation and storage, makeshift shelter construction, and many other survival necessities. The second most important preparations to make are acquiring the tools, equipment, and materials needed for survival situations. This too will entail a financial sacrifice. Considering the vast number of disasters that can occur, it is improbable and impractical for most Americans that specific preparations can be made for every individual situation. Some natural and man-made disasters are generally region specific. The Midwest region nicknamed Tornado Alley, for instance, is prone to tornados. America’s Pacific Coast region is well known for a high rate of seismic activity. Terrorist attacks tend to occur in areas with higher populations. Some disasters can be ruled out depending on region. Within reason, it is unlikely a blizzard will occur in a southern desert. Likewise, it is highly unlikely a tsunami will occur at high elevations. Once regional variables are considered, and time and funds are secured, a personalized preparation plan can be made for single individuals’ or family units’ needs. At first, this may seem a daunting and tedious task, but with time, practice, and enthusiasm becomes easier and even fun.

While preparing for disaster is the most important activity any American can do, aside from being a productive member of society, the vast majority choose not to do so. They are so engrossed with the trivial wants of modern technology, fads, trends, and recreations, coupled with a help is right around the corner attitude, that many Americans are naïve to the fact that disaster could affect them. They feel it is the responsibility of the government to ensure their security and safety in every situation, every day. They think it is unnecessary to prepare for disaster because Uncle Sam will step in and take care of their every need in the event a disaster occurs. They think that public services such as the police, E.M.S., and firefighters are just a phone call away and that is the way it will always be. Americans who make disaster preparation a priority, colloquially known as preppers, are often labeled as paranoid or crazy for their ideas and beliefs. Activities such as mass long term nonperishable food storage, firearm and ammunition acquisition, large scale urban gardening, and self-defense training are construed by many as abnormal and threatening despite the intent. This is why it is of utmost importance that those Americans who do feel it is in the best interest of themselves and their fellow citizens to prepare for disaster to share as much skill and knowledge as possible. The more those who are ignorant to the concept of disaster preparedness and survival learn about the subject, the less likely they will be able to deny the logic behind the idea.

Disaster, whether natural or man-made, is a real threat to the American populous. Most Americans are unaware of the fact that, one day, they may find themselves in the face of an emergency. While disaster comes in a verity of different forms, it is possible and wise for Americans to prepare to fend for themselves in the event help is unable to be reached. To achieve this, Americans will have to sacrifice time and resources, otherwise invested in trivial pursuits, learning the skills and knowledge required to survive without the comforts and conveniences of modern society to ensure a prosperous tomorrow for future American generations. Although some may resist the notion of disaster preparedness, most Americans, as the concept gains more ground, will hopefully one day see the idea as the most sensible way to live.

Last edited:

Sanguine Samurai

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 18, 2010
    Indiana
    As a matter of fact I did get an A on it. I was lucky and got a cool teacher. I figured it would flop too. I am in English Comp. 2 right now with the same teacher so I am waiting on her to return it to me so I can see what her thoughts were on it aside from a curicular standpoint.

Thanks for the rep! :D

ctbreitwieser

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jun 14, 2011
    DuCo.
    Great Job:patriot:

Though I have not yet made it to college, I love seeing and hearing about students that refuse to give in to most colleges' liberal ways of thinking. Unfortunately most students that do end up paying a price when it comes to their grade. Im glad you lucked out with a good teacher.

Oh, I couldnt let it go. You spelled college "collage" at the top. :): Just thought it was funny.

:+1:

IndyDave1776

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    Excellent work. I would say that most people subscribe to the notion either deliberately or passively that since it hasn't happened, it won't--a truly dangerous idea. It speaks volumes that George Soros made a statement the other day that he believes that the Occupy movement will turn violent, and in turn bring about severe abridgment of our standard of liberty. Interesting, considering that I am given to understand that he indirectly bankrolls that movement. The contaminants may hit the fan sooner than we would prefer.

Sanguine Samurai

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 18, 2010
    Indiana
    Oops! Thanks. I fixed it. The funny part is I spent about 30 minutes transfering the essay from MS Word and missed that the whole time. When I did the copy/paste all the words jumbled together and I had to go back through and respace them all.

+1 for the spell check :)

Last edited:
    Top Bottom