The best time to fill 20# propane tanks?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    I'm on my last propane tank of five. I use it for daily shop heat as I go. Haven't measured, but I'm thinking the grill/coffee roaster tank is mostly full also?

I'm wondering if I should risk letting tanks stay empty until the price of propane moderates with the warmer temps?

:scratch:

snapping turtle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 5, 2009
    Madison county
    Been using propane at the homestead for 25 years. You are good to let them be empty. Propane is a moist fuel when burned. In the past late summer and early fall were the big in demand times because farms dried grain with it so that is when price was increased.

We get fills on the big tank from our local co op. I take care of filling the smalls at a few places but we used to use a local gas station. When they re built the station propane refill was removed.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    Good points folks!

I'm leaning towards going ahead and filling a couple tanks, then waiting until June/July for the rest?

MRockwell

Just Me
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Oct 4, 2010
    Noblesfield
    Went to Tractor Supply a few weeks ago to fill some tanks, a 40lb and two 20 lb.

Seems they have a new procedure in place for filling by weight, and not venting the tanks while filling. Usually my 40lb holds 9 gallon, ad 20lb holds 4.5 gallon. With them filling by weight, I got 15.6 gallon(compared to 18 gallon I would usually get). Looks like I am going to find a different place to fill my tanks.

Price was $3.89/gal. I was going through some receipts from a year ago, and the price then was $3.99/gal.

dudley0

Nobody Important
    Rating - 100%
    99   0   0
    Mar 19, 2010
    Grant County
    I just got a dual fuel genny. Tested it out and all seems fine. I was storing a few tanks of propane for the mini heater, grill and burner but now I think I want to store some more for the life expectancy.

I know you get more bang for your buck in gasoline, but for mid range outages I am leaning this way. I still have about 30 gallons of stabilized gas to use as well.

The place I was getting my tanks filled from closed down. The guy decided to retire. How rude!

***Ironhead***

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 19, 2008
    Morgan county
    What size of tanks are you talking about? Reason I ask if you’re talking 20lb-40lb tanks, fill them when they are empty. There isn’t enough savings to justify playing the price game.
    Got my summer fill today and was pleasantly surprised propane was the lowest it has been for a couple of years. Of course this was a 1000 and 500 gallon tanks.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    Tractor Supply was out of propane last Friday. Happily, the the store manager referred me to a local oxygen supply company that filled my tanks at +/- ten bucks higher price.

Nice guys, but pricy. Said they recertify outdated tanks for $25. Not real helpful when I can exchange a tank for a certified one that has some :rolleyes: gas in it at a better price than that.

https://fox59.com/news/indiana-gove...ansportation-of-propane-in-the-hoosier-state/

Last edited:
    Top Bottom