• ...and so much more!
  • Bill of Rights

Cogito, ergo porto.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Apr 26, 2008
    Where's the bacon?
    ...It would be great if just one state could get a law like this passed. We need somewhere to start.

Utah has such a law, for about the last ten years, if memory serves.

No incidents.

What? You've never heard about that? Huh. Wonder why not? </sarcasm>

Media bias. Gotta love it. If it bleeds it leads, but if it doesn't bleed, it gets buried in about page 4 of section D.

If my facts above are in error, I would welcome the correction.

Blessings,
    Bill

Bill of Rights

Cogito, ergo porto.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Apr 26, 2008
    Where's the bacon?
    Also interesting that they mention the 1966 shooting at UT-Austin. What curiously is not mentioned is the fact that some faculty members who had rifles in their offices shot back at the gunman, keeping him pinned down and lowering the death toll.

Curiouser and curiouser.

Blessings,
    Bill

Bigum1969

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    SW Indiana
    Great points BOR.

You are correct about Utah. And I didn't know about faculty firing back with rifles in the 1966 shooting. Now, if I were writing a story about these proposed bills in Texas, I'm sure I would've done some research. But it doesn't happen in the mainstream media unless it fits their agenda.

minuteman32

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 23, 2008
    Central IN
    Utah has such a law, for about the last ten years, if memory serves.

No incidents.

What? You've never heard about that? Huh. Wonder why not? </sarcasm>

Media bias. Gotta love it. If it bleeds it leads, but if it doesn't bleed, it gets buried in about page 4 of section D.

If my facts above are in error, I would welcome the correction.

Blessings,
    Bill

This is correct. In UT, one may carry on college (even pre-K through 12 schools) with a license to carry. UT is so strongly pro carry that a couple of years ago, the states AG told the two largest school systems that they needed to revise their "no weapons" policy. The schools (state schools, that is) cannot prohibit an individual w/ a LTC from carrying on their property nor in their buildings. And, the only shooting that I recall in UT was in the Trolly Square mall, which had a "no weapons" policy!

Bill of Rights

Cogito, ergo porto.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Apr 26, 2008
    Where's the bacon?
    This is correct. In UT, one may carry on college (even pre-K through 12 schools) with a license to carry. UT is so strongly pro carry that a couple of years ago, the states AG told the two largest school systems that they needed to revise their "no weapons" policy. The schools (state schools, that is) cannot prohibit an individual w/ a LTC from carrying on their property nor in their buildings. And, the only shooting that I recall in UT was in the Trolly Square mall, which had a "no weapons" policy!
    Thanks, Dan! I wrote "no incidents" in reference to school shootings specifically, but I'd completely forgotten that Trolley Square was in SLC.

Reps earned and enroute!

Blessings,
    Bill

Armed & Christian

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Feb 19, 2009
    MSG2 S.E. INDY
    The Bible college I attended had a policy against "unauthorized firearms and other weapons." When I approached the Faculty Senate to request a definition for "unauthorized," and presented a case to allow carry on campus, the result was that a number of students and staff were given the go-ahead.

Unfortunately, some of the students and staff equate Christianity with being a doormat, and they got pretty bent about the revision. As a result, the revised policy is not openly proclaimed, but there are quite a few there who carry concealed.

Dr Falken

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 28, 2008
    Bloomington
    Thanks for the post. I'm vacationaing in Texas this summer, and was planning to carry on the journey, until I was advised that we would be at a "gun free"campus. Perhaps the law will change by then. I was going to see if they had a place I could secure my gun for the duration of the visit.

jeremy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 18, 2008
    Fiddler's Green
    Uhhh... I am working on memory that is over a decade old here. But when I lived in Texas in the 90's the had a traveling law for firearms carry. I can't quite remember how it worked, other than that we at hood used it as the reason we carried at UT/Austin. I'll see if I can find a little more on it.

Top Bottom