• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • partyboy6686

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    95   0   0
    Oct 9, 2011
    Indianapolis
    So while at work today I had 2 teenage black males come in and ask where they could be able to purchase ammo at on the eastside of Indianapolis? Had to be somewhere off of East Washington St since they were riding the IndyGo Bus. They told me they attempted to buy ammo at Pop Guns and was denied because they weren't old enough to purchase ammo. I work practically across the street from Pop Guns. My work does not sell guns or gun related items. I told them I was no help to them and have a nice day. I then heard one of my coworkers ask the 2 teenagers what kind of ammo was they looking for. They said told him .380 then walked out of my work. I then pulled my coworker aside and educated him that he should have just asked them to leave and not asked them what type of ammo they wanted since it is Illegal for them to purchase ammo. What would INGO members do in this type of situation?

Last edited:

M67

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 15, 2011
    Southernish Indiana
    18 is still teenagers

First question I'd think would have been how old/ID card

Then what type of ammo they needed

Turn away or proceed to purchase would have been next

Bfish

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Feb 24, 2013
    Unless you claim you have a 9mm Carbine or something of the like places will sell it to you. A guy I went to college with had a 9mm rifle and did this frequently at wally world. I don't know the law of this but it got him the ammo he wanted.

Sylvain

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 30, 2010
    Normandy
    18 for rifle
    21 for pistol

So what's the 22lr going to be used in? :dunno:

Is there a difference if you buy from a private individual or from a FFL?
    I think you have to be 21 to buy a handgun from a FFL but you can buy it at 18 from a private sale.
    Is it the same for ammo? :dunno:

BogWalker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 5, 2013
    Is there a difference if you buy from a private individual or from a FFL?
    I think you have to be 21 to buy a handgun from a FFL but you can buy it at 18 from a private sale.
    Is it the same for ammo? :dunno:
    I don't believe so. I think the law applies no matter who is selling to who.

mrortega

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Jul 9, 2008
    Just west of Evansville
    Okay, it's 18 for rifle ammo and 21 for pistol ammo. You don't mention anything about their age except they were "teenagers" and they were turned down by another shop. And what's with mentioning that they were black? What does that have to do with anything?!? You should have asked them for some ID and if they were 18 (teenage) and said it was going to be used in a rifle you could have sold some to them. Granted that you had done the above checks you still could have refused to sell if you believed that they were going to use it in a pistol. BTW, what would you have done if it had been two "clean white teens?"

Lebowski

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jun 6, 2013
    Between corn and soybean fields.
    Ask what sort of ammo they need, check to see if available, yes sir/no sir, we have this. Go to the register, ask for ID. Sell to them if of age, or not sell to them if not of age.

But I don't work in a gun shop, so maybe there are other complications and factors I'm not seeing here...

partyboy6686

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    95   0   0
    Oct 9, 2011
    Indianapolis
    Okay, it's 18 for rifle ammo and 21 for pistol ammo. You don't mention anything about their age except they were "teenagers" and they were turned down by another shop. And what's with mentioning that they were black? What does that have to do with anything?!? You should have asked them for some ID and if they were 18 (teenage) and said it was going to be used in a rifle you could have sold some to them. Granted that you had done the above checks you still could have refused to sell if you believed that they were going to use it in a pistol. BTW, what would you have done if it had been two "clean white teens?"

Race has nothing to do with it. My work is accross the street from Pop Guns. My work does not sell guns or gun related items. So I had no reason to ask them for ID to verify age since my work doesn't sell anything that would require you to be 18+ to buy.

ATM

will argue for sammiches.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Jul 29, 2008
    Crawfordsville
    The age restriction of handgun ammo sales to under 21 applies only to FFLs. 18 USC 922 (b)(1)

Anybody else can sell it to or purchase it for 18 and up. 18 USC 922 (x)(1)(B)

Last edited:

45fan

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 20, 2011
    East central IN
    Yeah, I don't think that the rifle ammo argument would work so well for .380. Unless High-Point is making a carbine in that caliber now...

jtwilson3

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 23, 2013
    Yeah I actually went to 9Guns in Anderson and these two 18 year olds were trying to buy 9mm for a handgun. THe guy at the counter looked at them and smiled and said "Well I can't sell you that for your handgun but if you told me you had a highpoint 9mm or something like that you could buy it...". I didn't know what to think of that. it seems to be just skirting the law to sell something...

Bunnykid68

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Mar 2, 2010
    Cave of Caerbannog
    Yeah I actually went to 9Guns in Anderson and these two 18 year olds were trying to buy 9mm for a handgun. THe guy at the counter looked at them and smiled and said "Well I can't sell you that for your handgun but if you told me you had a highpoint 9mm or something like that you could buy it...". I didn't know what to think of that. it seems to be just skirting the law to sell something...

Maybe so, but it is really a ridiculous law to begin with considering 18 year olds can carry handguns in this state

Top Bottom