• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • daspurlock

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Feb 8, 2011
    just read a thread on a revolver opinions.wanting to know your opinion on different brands and was curious why no one listed Taurus?I recently just purchased my first revolver and it was a Taurus models 689 in 357. Seems to be a pretty good gun and shoots very good. So I would like to find out why these guns didn't make the list?

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    If you're talking about the thread with the guy asking for advise on a .357, someone did mention Taurus/Rossi about mid-wy through pg #2.

Taurus is a "good enough" gun, and a reasonable budget choice. They are reliable, and reasonably well made. They are good enough to do the majority of things one wants to do with them.

They just don't have the fit and finish, trigger feel, or cache of S&W, Colt, or Ruger.

Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    Taurus received a lot of bad reputation some years back, mostly in regards to their semi-auto's.

That said, I EDC a Taurus 605 Titanium .357 w/ 2" barrel.
    I also own several other Taurus firearms, and I have had a problem with exactly 1 of them.
    It's a TCP380, and it has extraction issues.

I own a total of 5 Taurus revolvers, some old(er), some brand new.
    Taurus revolvers are great utilitarian firearms. They are not competition grade and don't have the spit-n-polish of a Colt or Smith& Wesson.

Nothing wrong with Taurus revolvers, in my opinion.
    My Raging Bull .454 Casull has taken a half dozen or so deer.

JBTate

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 16, 2009
    S.E. Indiana
    I've had a 2" 605 SS .357 since the mid 90's and it's still tight as can be. Granted most rounds through it have been 38's, but it's been a very good companion and never failed to go bang when asked.

ru44mag

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 6, 2013
    Back in the 80's when I started buying handguns, the old cop that reloaded and sold any new gun you wanted for $15 over his cost so you would buy his reloads would say "The guys that shoot the Rugers and the Taurus' aren't having any trouble, but the guys shooting the S&Ws have trouble." I believed him. Maybe I was ignorant. But over the years, and all the handguns I have collected, I have 3 Taurus revolvers and 3 Rugers. No S&Ws. Back then I saved a lot of money. S&W will hold it's value way better. I have to say I can't complain about my Taurus revolvers. I like my Rugers better, but have never, ever had a problem with a Taurus revolver. Carry a 605 most days. They always go bang. I like 'em.

OiRadio47

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 21, 2010
    Mishawaka
    I bought a 357 Taurus a few years ago, and it malfunctioned right out of the box! Luckily my LGS bought it back and let me buy the S&W I should have got in the first place.

Every gun maker produces a lemon every now and then, but I will never buy a Taurus again. Will never shoot one either. Lucky that gun didn't blow up in my hand.

Bapak2ja

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 17, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    My experience with Taurus semi-autos demonstrates they are reliable weapons. For the price of one Glock I purchased two Tauri. They work every time, eat everything, hit the target accurately. Put 500-1,000 though them. No problems of any kind.

traderdan

Master
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 20, 2009
    Martinsville
    I have little confidence in the durability of the small framed .357 revolvers...I have had a couple that seemed "stressed" (for lack of a better term),and did not fire on every cylinder.

MattyLite

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 3, 2013
    I have an older Taurus 85 UL and it has been a great gun for me. It shoots great and has a very smooth trigger. I do not see myself getting rid of this gun. However, the newer Taurus 85 seem to lack consistency in their triggers. I grabbed several at a LGS and all felt somewhat different.

Last edited:

mrjarrell

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 18, 2009
    Hamilton County
    My first handgun was Taurus .357 and I've still got it over 25 years later. Never had a single issue with it. Also have a Taurus MilPro .45 and it's my EDC. I trust mine and they've functioned just fine.

AlwaysVigilant

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 21, 2013
    Michigan, by way of Indianapolis
    Fit an finish isn't near what you get with the classic makers like S&W, Colt, Ruger, but they are reliable. I noticed the triggers aren't as smooth and tend to be much heavier feeling as well.

I have owned and fired many, many examples of each manufacturer mentioned.

throttletony

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jul 11, 2011
    nearby
    I have an 8 3/8" .44 Mag Taurus. It is a well made good shiiting HandGun. Nuff said.

I guess I misunderstood what the OP was asking :draw:

Overall Taurus newer production seems reliable. In a revolver, it *should be* even more so. My exp. with Taurus is that I've shot 1 (one) unreliable semi-auto from the early 90s, and multiple (9 or 10) very reliable revolvers and autos made after 2005.
    My buddy's Taurus (.40 slim, don't know model #) has kept up with my Glocks round for round and never flinched.

Top Bottom