• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • hippykiller

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Johnson Co.
    If there where another AWB and it where to mirror Clinton's, what effects would this have on the NFA community? Would I still be able to get a lower registered as an sbr, would I still be able to buy an sbr upper for a reasonable price..? Would I still be able to buy a suppresor?

I guess what I am trying to figure out is what I need to hurry up and do to make sure that I will still be able to build an sbr 6-8 months from now.

VUPDblue

Silencers Have NEVER Been Illegal !
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   1
    Mar 20, 2008
    Franklin Township
    I wouldn't worry about it. The NFA as mostly flown under the political radar, and will probably continue to do so because virtually all politicos think that NFA items are illegal.

fullauto 45

Master
    Rating - 100%
    31   0   1
    Dec 27, 2008
    SE Indy
    Last time the AWB went into effect, prices jumped about 1/3 higher then the day before. People ran scared. But with the way everything is going right now, I don't see then jumping much. Just high cap mags and any mag over 10 rounds again. If Joe A$$hole (Biden) has anything to do with it, and he is the one who wrote it last time.

koveras225

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 6, 2008
    Noble County
    Like VUPDBlue said, don't worry about it... The only politicians that know you can buy things like suppressors are most likely the same ones who don't want them banned. The rest just think they're illegal (have you ever heard the Brady bunch go on about NFA items before... I haven't)

But this does remind me of something that popped into my head a few days back...

I was looking around for stuff relating to the AWB and such, and I've been watching Congress like a hawk for another one to show up. But I got to thinking about what would happen, and how to lessen the blow, if another AWB was about to get passed... If such a thing were to happen, is there some reason why we couldn't just tack in an amendment that would just make anything it would cover an NFA item?

Not that I would want to have to pay any sort of tax for an AR-15 or a 10+ round magazine (high cap indeed... don't fall for that one, they were designed that way - standard cap), but it's a step up from them being banned (crossing my fingers and hoping congress is smart enough to NOT pass another AWB)...

I'm not sure how the procedure to add an amendment to a bill goes... but why stop there... tack one on to kill 922(o) too. It'll either stop an AWB dead in it's tracks, or we'll end up with a bunch of new toys. :D

Sorry if that is a little off topic... :dunno:

hippykiller

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Johnson Co.
    Like VUPDBlue said, don't worry about it... The only politicians that know you can buy things like suppressors are most likely the same ones who don't want them banned. The rest just think they're illegal (have you ever heard the Brady bunch go on about NFA items before... I haven't)

But this does remind me of something that popped into my head a few days back...

I was looking around for stuff relating to the AWB and such, and I've been watching Congress like a hawk for another one to show up. But I got to thinking about what would happen, and how to lessen the blow, if another AWB was about to get passed... If such a thing were to happen, is there some reason why we couldn't just tack in an amendment that would just make anything it would cover an NFA item?

Not that I would want to have to pay any sort of tax for an AR-15 or a 10+ round magazine (high cap indeed... don't fall for that one, they were designed that way - standard cap), but it's a step up from them being banned (crossing my fingers and hoping congress is smart enough to NOT pass another AWB)...

I'm not sure how the procedure to add an amendment to a bill goes... but why stop there... tack one on to kill 922(o) too. It'll either stop an AWB dead in it's tracks, or we'll end up with a bunch of new toys. :D

Sorry if that is a little off topic... :dunno:

Well as far as the anti-gun group not going after NFA, I had assumed that was just because while they are relatively easy to purchase by a dedicated law abiding citizen they are much harder to get by someone who simply wants to go and shot someones house up.

And oh good god, $214 for a 30rnd mag.... SHUTTER.... At least Im comfortably stocked up on those.

koveras225

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 6, 2008
    Noble County
    And oh good god, $214 for a 30rnd mag.... SHUTTER.... At least Im comfortably stocked up on those.
    LOL! I was actually thinking more along the AOW lines... $5 :-P

Not like it's the greatest idea ever... but if it ever came to a point where you could either not get them at all (possibly never again), or could get them but would have to jump through a few hoops... I'd go with the latter.

It was just something that popped into my head one day... and this reminded me of it...

rkba_net

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 26, 2008
    If the new AWB is worded like the old one SBS's and SBR's must abide by it... ie NOT have 2 military features etc etc...

curraheeguns

Master
    Rating - 100%
    77   0   0
    Nov 8, 2008
    NW Hendricks County
    My biggest worry is that the $200 has been around since 1934.

I could see it jumping waaaaay up if congress realized that it hasn't gone up since 1934 and that it was put at $200 then to be a discouragement to buy NFA weapons.

$200 in 1934 money is $3000k+ in 2009 money with the latest inflation figures.

I have three form 1's in at the BATFE right now and plan on at least another 2-3 Form 1's and I plan on getting a 9mm, 45acp and .22LR can before the end of 2009.

I really feel that SBR's and cans are like the MG's were in the 1970's and 1980's. Cheap and easy to get, and we all know where the MG market has gone...........like my friends Form 4 MG42 that is getting ready to sell for $40k!!!!!!

Splagt

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Apr 10, 2008
    Central Indiana
    AWB and NFA

The previous poster has a good point. NFA probably won't go away, but it may cost more to play...

The reason NFA is probably not threatened is because it represents the wet dream of every anti-gun bureaucrat. Strict application requirements, local LEO approval, and total control of the ownership of the weapon now and in the future. They wish all Title 1 firearms could be brought into this fold.
    The machine gun hobby has become a rich man's game. The values placed on even entry level weapons have precluded most working stiffs from ever owning one. An increase in the transfer fee would be an inconvenience, but not a roadblock to ownership to the lucky individuals who already have one.
    Maybe the lesson here is get one while you can...

SirRealism

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 17, 2008
    I owned no guns during the 1st AWB, and I'm curious. If they were to enact the same basic legislation as before, would any rifle I bought prior to the ban then be considered pre-ban, and therefore legal for me to own... to shoot... and to sell?

Lawguns

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    If you want to know what might come to pass I would say follow this link and read the proposed AWB of 2007 introduced by the Not so great Senator McCarthy.
    http://www.govtrack.us/congress/bill.xpd?bill=h110-1022

There are some differences from the first ban, Such as requiring the transfer of an Assault Weapon through a Dealer.
    There have been other ideas that require the registration on Magazines and Ammo. Going back to the old days when dealers had to report ammo sales on a form and limiting how much ammo a person can posses in their home or on their person.

Top Bottom