• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jblomenberg16

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    67   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    Southern Indiana
    So I've had my AR for almost a month now, and I'm alread getting the urge to trick it out. Not sure why, as it is the most expensive gun I've purchased to date, and I bought it thinking I'd keep it plane jane, and it would be my only AR (did I mention I've already decided to by another lower through the group buy?) . Its a 16" Middy HBAR, flat-top upper, and run of the mill 6-position style stock.

I've seen a lot of pics posted of AR's with the Magpul MOE and the C/TR stocks, and they just look plane cool. Rumor has it they also function really well, and are a little more stable than the "standard" 6-position stock.

My rifle functions just fine as is, so I really don't need a new stock, but man I sure want one. :D

So, somebody talk me into keeping my 6-position stock, and saving my pennies for the really cool Magpul UBR stock.

abnk

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 25, 2008
    Leave the stock for now. Buy another lower. Stocks will be around for a long time.

shooter521

Certified Glock Nut
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    May 13, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN US
    I will talk you out of the MOE stock...

Get the CTR; it's better. :) Seriously. The locking feature and built-in QD sling swivel socket are the biggest improvements the CTR offers over the regular M4 stock. The MOE stock lacks both those features. Even if the MOE does provide a tighter fit than a regular M4 stock, is that alone worth shelling out $50 for?

I ended up getting rid of my CTR stock; I'm an all-VLTOR house now. :yesway:

mconley

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Aug 17, 2008
    Hendricks Co.
    Wish I could talk you out of it but I can not... had mine for about a year, I was in the same position asking the same questions as you, never regreted it. I love it.

jblomenberg16

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    67   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    Southern Indiana
    I will talk you out of the MOE stock...

Get the CTR; it's better. :) Seriously. The locking feature and built-in QD sling swivel socket are the biggest improvements the CTR offers over the regular M4 stock. The MOE stock lacks both those features. Even if the MOE does provide a tighter fit than a regular M4 stock, is that alone worth shelling out $50 for?

I ended up getting rid of my CTR stock; I'm an all-VLTOR house now. :yesway:

Exactly... is $50 worth it just for looks? That's why I need talked out of it. I'm assuming that it doesn't lock any tighter since the locking mechanism is the same. But the CTR is better. Maybe I better just save up for the UBR. But that means a new buffer tube too, right?

shooter521

Certified Glock Nut
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    May 13, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN US
    Exactly... is $50 worth it just for looks?

IMO, the MOE isn't worth the $$ to upgrade from the M4 stock, but the CTR is.

Maybe I better just save up for the UBR. But that means a new buffer tube too, right?

Yes, the UBR uses a proprietary tube. I'm not on that bandwagon at all. It's expensive, heavy and uses proprietary parts, and most folks I've seen with them seem to run them all the way closed, essentially creating a fixed stock.

If you want to wait for something, wait for the ACS. It will have the locking feature and built-in swivel sockets of the CTR, improved cheekweld and built-in storage like the VLTOR, and a new buttpad design. It will use a standard carbine length buffer tube. Price point should be between the CTR and UBR.

IMG_7918%20A%201028%20Stick.jpg

Photo by Stickman, courtesy of Weaponevolution Forum

Top Bottom