• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • MbMinx

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 10, 2012
    Indianapolis Area
    I have a very dear friend. He's the minister who married my husband and I. Since my father passed away we've been talking quite a bit about my Dad, and about the guns I've inherited.

My Friend has never fired a gun. He says he would like to, just once. He asked if I would take him to the range with me sometimes when I go. I'd love to...except that my friend is legally blind.

Not sure how that would work out.

Can anyone think of a way to safely make this happen? I'd love for him to have the experience, but I have no idea how to safely take someone shooting who can't even see well enough to cross the street. He understands that it's probably not possible - I'm not going to let him drive my car, either. But It just got me thinking about doing something nice for someone who means a lot to me...

Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    May 6, 2012
    Mishawaka
    As long as he handles the guns safely and keeps them pointed down range while shooting, I don't see the harm in it. Maybe take him on a day when it's not so busy :dunno:

Darral27

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Aug 13, 2011
    Elwood
    I would not think it would be much different than taking a young kid shooting. Make sure you maintain control and be sure the weapon is pointing where it should be. Legally blind always makes me think the person has some sight. If not they would just be blind. How much can this person see?

snorko

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    364   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    Evansville, IN
    My favorite professor in college was 100% blind...and competed in biathalon.

What I would do. find a range where you can have a bay to yourself. Spend some time getting him physically oriented to the area, ie "here is the shooting bench, that is down range", etc. Drill that muzzle points downrange and all that. Actually an indoor range may be better as you have the booth walls to force orientation.

As for shooting, you say he is legally blind so I assume he can see somewhat. I once took someone to the range with visual impairment. They could see light and dark but nothing clearly. I taped some highly reflective material to the target, about a 6" square. I used a pistol with a laser and they could see the reflection of the laser off the tape at 20' or so.

eldirector

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 29, 2009
    Brownsburg, IN
    Long guns? Don't worry too much about it. Set up on some sand bags or such, take a few shots yourself to be sure it is aimed close, and then help him keep the muzzle pointed down-range.

My FIL can see the front sight, and the target.... well enough. I just call out his hits for him. Just takes some gentle oversight (no pun intended..... really).

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    Legally blind=corrected vision is not better than 20/200 vision.

Call the range. See what the range policy is on this. If the range allows it, tell the range officer when you arrive.

I have taken those with limited vision shooting. I teach them the same as the sighted.

Even if you are sighted, you should be training with your vision reduced is some manner.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Legally blind=corrected vision is not better than 20/200 vision.

Call the range. See what the range policy is on this. If the range allows it, tell the range officer when you arrive.

I have taken those with limited vision shooting. I teach them the same as the sighted.

Even if you are sighted, you should be training with your vision reduced is some manner.

^^^^^^^^^^^^THIS^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

or find some private property that is a safe area ie. good back stops and heavily wooded and teach him there. No issues with other people. Just a thought.

ArcadiaGP

Wanderer
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 15, 2009
    Indianapolis
    Yeah, definitely don't see an issue here. Either go somewhere private and outside of town... or heck, fake it going in... he can wear sunglasses, you can just act like you're showing him how to aim, and he can take some shots downrange :P

LarryC

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 18, 2012
    Frankfort
    I would, if possible take him to some friends private property. If he has the ability to see the gun sights I would place a cheap flashlight where he could see it and with you keeping the gun in control (muzzle pointing safely) let him bang away at it. If he can't see a flashlight or the sights, obtain something that will make a continuous noise or a 'beeping" sound. (They do make these for "blind" golfers). Should be able to find a cheap toy, radio or other noise making device. Give him a handgun (I would use a 22) and let him shoot again with you insuring he is aiming in a safe direction. You might be surprised how accurate he can hit with sound after you tell him where his first shots went.

ultra...good

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 30, 2012
    Take your friend out to LA and shoot at an LAPD range. Apparently out there one can be legally blind and they will give you a badge and let you shoot at whatever you want.

lovemywoods

Geek in Paradise!
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    50   0   0
    Mar 26, 2008
    Brown County
    I would like to offer my home range for your friend's use if you are interested. We're located an hour south of Indianapolis in Brown County.

I'm sure that your friend could help me design a course of fire that would work for him based on his visual abilities.

I have a pistol range with berms on three sides. Many steel targets as well as paper are available.

I like the beeping idea that was offered and want to think about that one.

See some of my range reports or any of the NFA Day AARs to get an idea of the range layout. (Note: There won't be all the tables, tarps, canopies, and NFA goodness at the range...:D)

For example:

https://www.indianagunowners.com/fo...y_a_a_r_s_after_action_reports_post_here.html

IMG_0082.jpg

You may PM me if you want to continue the conversation privately.

Giddaltti

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 22, 2012
    Carmel, IN.
    I have good vision with glasses and I still need more practice. The best shot in the house is my daughter who has one good eye and the other is very limited. Its a lot of fun being a spotter and working as one. Take the opportunity and make it happen!

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    Been there, done that. I took my boss, who is legally blind to range to fire HIS Glock and teach his kids to shoot.

XDLover

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 2, 2012
    Delaware County
    I don't see any real issue with it, as long as you are safe.
    Now I'm sure there will be others there that might have issue or make jokes but thats life.

Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    I would like to offer my home range for your friend's use if you are interested. We're located an hour south of Indianapolis in Brown County.

I'm sure that your friend could help me design a course of fire that would work for him based on his visual abilities.

I have a pistol range with berms on three sides. Many steel targets as well as paper are available.

I like the beeping idea that was offered and want to think about that one.

See some of my range reports or any of the NFA Day AARs to get an idea of the range layout. (Note: There won't be all the tables, tarps, canopies, and NFA goodness at the range...:D)

For example:

https://www.indianagunowners.com/fo...y_a_a_r_s_after_action_reports_post_here.html

IMG_0082.jpg

You may PM me if you want to continue the conversation privately.

MbMinx,

Take this man up on his offer. I've not had the pleasure myself, but Lovemywoods range is legendary around these parts, as is his hospitality.
    I've read numerous reviews about the NFA days and other goings on at this range, and NEVER a discouraging word.

Your friend will do fine, with your help, and the bond between you will only grow. It will be just one more topic of conversation that will be available and of interest to you both.
    I volunteer to teach the "First-Shots" program at my local range sponsored by the NSSF (National Shooting Sports Foundation" one Saturday a month, and I've done this for the past two years, going on three.
    We have taught people from age 7 to age 84. We've taught kids that were so small they needed to have the targets lowered so they don't shoot the ceiling. We've had to change firearms for someone, because they just couldn't handle the one present.

It was stated up post, but it bears repeating, a well thought out range and safety procedures are your biggest help. Everything I've read about Lovemywoods and his range tells me most of your job is already done, just waiting on you and your friend to arrive.

Seriously, even if you can't take advantage of LMW offer, I think you're over-thinking this.
    If you own a firearm, you should have a fundamental knowledge of it's operation and safety requirements. The fact that you are on this forum asking these types of questions points to you being a responsible person.

What ever you do, Kudo's to you, for considering the desires of your friends, and for being a responsible gun owner concerned about safety.

If you can't go south, I'm an hour north in Lafayette. I don't have access to anything NEAR Lovemywoods, but I'd be happy to accommodate you and your friend.

Harry2110

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 11, 2011
    Indianapolis
    Want to talk as I'm blind as well and can outshoot a lot of people.

Some questions. You can pm if needed
    Ok how legally blind?
    Type of impairment?
    Level of impairment

See if you can get ahold of 469vette that runs the optics dealer here and get a high power scope on loan or demo. I would recommend 25x+ for 50yds?
    Also with training he can actually become almost a decent benchrest competitor. When I shoot pistol at 25yd or 10yd I rely solely on a mental image of my target thru my spotting scope and adjust via muscle memory.

Also
    The beep method is used in archery and biathlon competition. I wish I was still in high school as I could have gotten a beeper as well from the school. Actually one summer shooting was an idea for a rec activity and I'm wondering if they still would be interested in doing it.

I have ROP with a extremely high myopia(-18) . My left eye is 20/600 corrected and my right 20/200-300 depending on the day corrected right now.

Last edited:

CitiusFortius

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 13, 2012
    NWI
    Maybe take him on a day when it's not so busy :dunno:

2 things,

1 - Call ahead. Tell the range master what's going on. My guess would be that an employee would also like to be there. And if the range knows ahead of time they may be able to make certain accommodations.

2 - Use a long gun. Rifle, shotgun ect. It's hard to direct someone where to point a handgun, but you could direct the barrel or better yet, put the rifle on a shooting rest and have him shoot from the bench.

Good luck to you.

Top Bottom