• Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Is a tactical/Defense double barrel shotgun marketable?

• Total voters

Mrmonte

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jan 1, 2009
    Indy South Side
    Ive always wanted a coach gun but as far as HD goes.... My HD shotgun has no need or any sight system more than a bead. My hallway is small enough that im confident that I can just point and shoot. Sights would just slow me down or be dead weight. My house is also climate controled so a plastic stock is no benefit either. The finish on my shotgun will not matter when I need it most.

Would a tactical ninja style double be fun at the range? Sure, why not!
    Practical? probably not for my HD firearm. :dunno:

Disposable Heart

Grandmaster
    Rating - 99.6%
    246   1   1
    Apr 18, 2008
    Greenfield, IN
    I think there are a couple of misnomers here:
    Cocking a shotgun wont scare off ALL criminals. Some will think, "hey, I could kill them and get their gun". Also, shotguns arent bloody Claymores on sticks. They still have to be aimed. It isnt going to spread the shot as much as one thinks at the average home defense distance.

All in all, even a single barrel break open is adequate IMHO for HD. If you cannot afford any better, a good ol fashioned HR Topper or similar in (IMHO) 20g or higher is perfect. Easy to use, quick to learn and inexpensive. I am not a huge fan of .410. The gel tests I have seen shown mediocre performance and humans are a bit tougher than Gello! A double barrel only adds to the firepower.

I think it comes down to money. If you dont have alot of loot or inherited a single/double barrel, they are perfect. But, for a true HD gun, rephrase, a NEW purchase HD gun, I honestly think the money would be better spent on a pump action. In other words, if you have one already, its okay for HD. But if you have the loot to buy some tacticaled double, that is money that could be better spent on something with more magazine capacity.

Mrmonte

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jan 1, 2009
    Indy South Side
    I think there are a couple of misnomers here:
    Cocking a shotgun wont scare off ALL criminals. Some will think, "hey, I could kill them and get their gun". Also, shotguns arent bloody Claymores on sticks. They still have to be aimed. It isnt going to spread the shot as much as one thinks at the average home defense distance.
    quote]

I agree, when I said to point and shoot I was refering to from the shoulder, aiming down the barrel(s). I do not recomend shooting from the hip as seen on tv. I figured INGOers are smart enough to know how to hold a firearm:dunno:

Top Bottom