Tactical Decision Game - You Started It!

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • JimFloyd

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 14, 2008
    Indianapolis
    Copyright 2009 by James M. Floyd, Jr. All rights reserved.

Tactical Decision Games (TDG) are utilized by the military and public safety agencies as a low tech, yet effective, means of experiencing and discussing the practical application of decision making skills to situations.

Below is a TDG I created to stimulate your thinking. To participate, please read the TDG, and then make your decision, based only on the (intentionally limited) information provided, within 10 seconds. Then post a reply stating your decision and your rationale.

The goal of a TDG is not to seek "the only" or "the correct" answer but instead is intended to create a social learning environment, so please do not hesitate to participate.

Here is the scenario:

You Started It!

TIME: 7:47 p.m.

PLACE: A local club

WEATHER: Clear, 71 degrees Fahrenheit.

LIGHTING: Outdoor lighting

SITUATION: You are a legally armed citizen who is trying to enjoy an evening out on the town after experiencing a “bad day.” While leaving an establishment you become agitated with a man who accidentally bumped into you. You initiate a verbal argument and then you escalate the encounter into a physical altercation between you and the man. As you are using physical force against the man he appears to be reaching for a knife.

What is your selected course of action? Make a decision within the next 10 seconds.

techres

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Mar 14, 2008
    Run. No joke. If the guy chases and we get to my car before I can leave, then draw and engage.

Drawing right there in the midst of the argument will just make us both mutual combatants and set me up for legal trouble if I have to shoot the guy.

Now, let me say, that this was a hard one as I usually do not find strangers "worth" my time to argue with over this kind of thing, especially now when I carry. I usually find "finger salutes" in driving conditions funny as the person doing it is too much of a moron to think that I might have more firepower in my vehicle than he could possibly imagine....

haldir

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 10, 2008
    Goshen
    I have never gotten into an argument with a stranger much less a physical altercation. I am one of those extremely non-confrontational people, much to the disappoint of the wife at times, as she can have a temper.

dburkhead

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Immediately seek out a competent exorcist because obviously an evil spirit has taken over my body and is controlling it.

Hammer

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 24, 2009
    On the lake
    Depending on his position, sucker punch him or kick him before he gets to the knife (either way, knock him out). But the gun stays put.

Joe Williams

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 26, 2008
    If you've got any brain cells left, you run. Shoot him, you go to jail. Don't shoot him, you get stabbed, and with good cause.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 5, 2009
    Northern Indiana
    I'd have to say I'd haul ass. If the situation has already escalated into a physical altercation, chances are he'll be right behind you. Regardless IMO, you have just benefitted yourself two things, time and separation. By time I mean that you just afforded him the chance to disengage from the fight by not following. By separation you now have a better chance at reacting to what he is doing (or about to do).

If you're lucky, he has not followed you and you can find your way out of there. Hopefully not by means of DWI... Worse case scenario, he follows you and things escalate to a point that Johnny law will be involved...

indyjoe

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    May 20, 2008
    Indy - South
    Like TechRes, I doubt I would ever get to this situation. However, the only right answer is disengage. Run. You have shown that you no longer wish to be in a confrontation. If a lethal attack proceeds after that, you can now defend yourself.

Top Bottom