• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • JimFloyd

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 14, 2008
    Indianapolis
    Copyright 2009 by James M. Floyd, Jr. All rights reserved.

Tactical Decision Games (TDG) are utilized by the military and public safety agencies as a low tech, yet effective, means of experiencing and discussing the practical application of decision making skills to situations.

Below is a TDG I created to stimulate your thinking. To participate, please read the TDG, and then make your decision, based only on the (intentionally limited) information provided, within 10 seconds. Then post a reply stating your decision and your rationale.

The goal of a TDG is not to seek "the only" or "the correct" answer but instead is intended to create a social learning environment, so please do not hesitate to participate.

Here is the scenario:

Valuables on the Run

TIME: 8:16 p.m.

PLACE: Your residence

WEATHER: Clear, 82 degrees Fahrenheit

LIGHTING: Dark outside, some interior lights on

SITUATION: You are a legally armed citizen who has just returned to your residence. As you walk up to the front door you find it is ajar and the lights are on (you had left them off). All of a sudden a male suspect comes running out of your residence carrying several of your valuables.

[FONT=&quot]What is your selected course of action? Make a decision within the next 10 seconds.[/FONT]

mikea46996

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 28, 2009
    Winamac
    Unless I my life is in danger I would not draw my weapon as I don't feel like having three hots and a cot. I would try to get a good visual of the BG as he is fleeing and yell for him to stop. "Stop I've called 911!!"

If he does not stop it would not be legal to use deadly force as my life has not been placed in danger.

That's why I have insurance I guess. Would give a description to the LEOs and hope for the best.

If I was in the house it would have been a different story.

dburkhead

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    This one seems such a no-brainer:

Step aside and let him run. As a "legally armed citizen" in Indiana I am not authorized the use of deadly force against someone leaving my dwelling or curtilage. I will try to remember anything that might help the police identify the man.

Call the police on my cell and wait until they arrive before entering the house (might be someone else in there). UNLESS I expect my wife and daughter to have been home. In that case I draw and enter immediately. Details of how I check as I go through the house searching for wife and daughter are probably too involved for this, but the layout of my house is such that I can "clear" one room at a time without having to worry about anyone at my back.

Note: even if my wife and daughter were expected to be home, I'd still have to let the guy run. If they are inside, possibly hurt, taking care of them takes precedence over trying to catch the BG. Seconds might count. And if, Kolordny forbid, I'm too late, well, killing the BG won't change that and I can't know beforehand. First priority is to stay alive so I can take care of my family--and then to take care of them.

But, as far as property loss is concerned. That's why I have insurance.

indyjoe

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    May 20, 2008
    Indy - South
    Coming back in usually mean Amy is behind me. So I am body checking him into the bricks as he meets the drop from the porch. Then I am drawing on him as I retreat back into the yard. I do not know if he is armed, but I am staying between Amy and him with a weapon. I have the option of letting him leave peaceably or threatening to end him. I tell Amy to call 911.

If he does not present a weapon, I have no justification in shooting him. However, I'm betting that he would not know that I was bluffing if I told him to freeze or die. I would want to know how many more are with him, if any.

jforrest

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 19, 2009
    Porter County
    At the sight of my door being ajar I would have already drawn my Glock, depending on how far he is from me I would either get him on the ground or yell, "stop or I'll shoot". If he turns and runs I'll fire a shot in a safe direction hopefully to make him stop. Then wait till the cops get there with him at gunpoint.

Joe Williams

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 26, 2008
    Draw and order him to stop, if he doesn't step aside, let him go. Shooting him isn't worth the aftermath.

Top Bottom