• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • msquared

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Dec 14, 2008
    I am strongly thinking of trading my Kel Tec P3AT for a Kahr P380.

The P3AT just hurts to shoot. Seems like the slight increase in size would make the P380 more manageable with minimal concealment difference...

I know the PM9 is barely bigger but seems that would just make things worse. Maybe I should just put on 100lbs so I can conceal a "real" gun easier? :D

Opinions? Pros? Cons? (and please refrain from mouse gun hatred)

gunman41mag

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 1, 2011
    SOUTH of YOU

The P3AT just hurts to shoot. Seems like the slight increase in size would make the P380 more manageable with minimal concealment difference...

I know the PM9 is barely bigger but seems that would just make things worse. Maybe I should just put on 100lbs so I can conceal a "real" gun easier? :D

Don't waste anytime thinking about it DO IT:yesway: Get rid of the KEL-TEC:twocents:

JohnP82

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Apr 2, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    The P3AT surely is not the most fun gun to shoot! Go with what feels best to you and what you are most comfortable with. I have had my keltec for years and love it. No malfunctions and accurate. The Kahr would probably feel a little better to shoot, but still would not be a range gun for all day shooting probably. Good luck with your decision.

anthony010

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jan 3, 2009
    Westfield
    My brother in law did the same thing (traded p3at for a p380) I handled the p380 it has a little heft to it. It feels great in the hand I probably would have looked into getting the kahr myself but, I bought a kimber ultra carry. I say go for it.

.452browning

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    do you have a grip extension on your P3AT mags? i am 6' 240lbs. with grapefruit sized hands and when i added them to my P3AT it helped quite a bit with controlling the bugger. but overall my opinion is you should do what is best and most comfortable to you. handle and shoot a P380 before you make the swap if possible.:twocents:

The Gavman

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 20, 2011
    I would love to have the p380 but I would be afraid to carry it because it is a pretty gun, the p3at which I own is like a one night stand, Its relatively ugly so you won't necessarily get attached to it and if your keys or what ever else scratches it in your pocket then nbd it still serves its purpose.

redpitbull44

Expert
    Rating - 50%
    1   1   0
    Sep 30, 2010
    I have been shooting/carrying a P3AT for a few years now. I don't know what you mean by "hurts to shoot".

EdC

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Aug 12, 2008
    Speedway, IN
    I like my P3AT. I've got small hands, and shoot it no problem with the standard magazine. Great for deep concealment in light clothing, or a backup pocket pistol in a winter coat. It's not a range gun, but it doesn't hurt my hand with Corbon ammo. Now, I've tried Buffalo Bore in it, and THAT HURT!

IMHO, $500 for a P380 is a lot of dough for a pocket pistol. Not saying it's not worth it, just that the P3AT fills a niche for me that I would not consider replacing with a gun that costs almost twice as much and is a little bigger, and therefore a little more difficult to conceal.

If this was going to be my one and only carry piece, then I'd consider the P380, because it would be the gun I would be taking to range to practice, practice, and practice with. Pocket pistol or not, it would have to take more of a beating than I've been made to understand the P3AT can take.

fastwally

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jan 4, 2010
    Peru

In a self defense situation you won't even know the gun had a recoil. It's a pocket gun for self defense not range time.:dunno: That being said, it's a good excuse to get a new gun. :D

Gator762

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 26, 2011
    I have a older P3AT and I have around 400 round threw mine and its been dropped many of times,in the mud,sandand even in the river. It has never misfires or hurt my hands. It will shoot softball size group at 7 yards as fast as you can pull the trigger. I never leave home without it.

msquared

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Dec 14, 2008
    In a self defense situation you won't even know the gun had a recoil. It's a pocket gun for self defense not range time.:dunno: That being said, it's a good excuse to get a new gun. :D

Im going for the good excuse to buy a new gun.

Ive carried the Kel tec for years. I shoot about 50 rounds a year through it to make sure it works and "practice" with it. Not sure how much practice one needs with a pistol with a laser and short range shooting. Never had a malfunction.

In thinking this though, I was trying new ammo. Mag-tech and it seemed much more "snappy" than the white box or even the corbon which I carry (and shoot yearly) in it.

Any way I cut it a pistol I can shoot better and still carry is always a good thing. Right?

fastwally

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jan 4, 2010
    Peru
    Im going for the good excuse to buy a new gun.

Ive carried the Kel tec for years. I shoot about 50 rounds a year through it to make sure it works and "practice" with it. Not sure how much practice one needs with a pistol with a laser and short range shooting. Never had a malfunction.

In thinking this though, I was trying new ammo. Mag-tech and it seemed much more "snappy" than the white box or even the corbon which I carry (and shoot yearly) in it.

Any way I cut it a pistol I can shoot better and still carry is always a good thing. Right?

Right! :rolleyes: :)

Top Bottom