• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jim b

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Nov 12, 2008
    I would like to get some opinions on the 9mm Smith & Wesson SW99. I saw some used police trade in guns for sale for just under $300 with 2 16 rnd mags. It seems like a good deal but i don't know much about these. A friend of mine has a 9mm Walther P99 and i really like it. What is the difference between the Walthers and the Smiths? Are there different models or configurations of these? Any info or personal experience with these would be appreciated.

shooter521

Certified Glock Nut
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    May 13, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN US
    What is the difference between the Walthers and the Smiths?

IIRC, the SW99s were built in the US using frames from Walther and slides from S&W, while the P99s are entirely German-built. The differences between the SW99 and the 1st Generation P99 are mostly cosmetic (side/frame contours, texturing, etc). They operate exactly the same way and accept the same magazines.

Are there different models or configurations of these?

The SW99 was never popular enough to warrant different action types like a DAO or "Quick Action," as can be found with the P99. I believe there was a SW99 Compact that was produced in small numbers before the line was discontinued.

sur+rifle

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 10, 2010
    Warrick, IN
    I would like to get some opinions on the 9mm Smith & Wesson SW99. I saw some used police trade in guns for sale for just under $300 with 2 16 rnd mags. It seems like a good deal but i don't know much about these. A friend of mine has a 9mm Walther P99 and i really like it. What is the difference between the Walthers and the Smiths? Are there different models or configurations of these? Any info or personal experience with these would be appreciated.

I have one as well as a P99. They are both great firearms. Trigger reset is fantastic. The fit an finish on the P99 is better. And the trigger was somewhat smoother on the P99 to start off but after several hundred rounds they are comparable. Many of the SW99 for law enforcement also come with night sights which is a $75 option. 16 round mags have been running about $50 dollars a piece.

Where are you finding them for less than $300? I would love to pick up another.

Ops Marine

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 12, 2010
    I read here that the SW99 was never popular enough for variants. This is untrue. It has the QA, the 990, and the 99OL (Law Enforcement DAO) in its repetoire. I happen to have had the consumer version SW99 years ago, and now have the 99OL DAO "Intervention." It's a great weapon. I haven't had the opportunity to fire the Walther, but I hear great things about it.

woooo.jpg

Last edited:

VERT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    Never fired the SW99 but have handled a few. I do own a 1st generation Walther P99. I agree that the fit and finish of the P99 is better. But if I were to find a good used SW99 for under $300 I would definately buy one. You can sometimes find used SW99 mags on cdnninvestments.com for a resonable price.

Ops Marine

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 12, 2010
    I'd like to get my hands on the Walther...I really think it's worth its salt. It may be in one of my upcoming purchases within the next calendar year.

Serial Crusher

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 27, 2009
    Northwest Indiana
    Many of the SW99 for law enforcement also come with night sights which is a $75 option.

Are there any that come without night sights? All of the SW99s I have seen have adjustable night sights and are less than $500 new. I see them for $450-$490 fairly often. They seem like a really under-appreciated pistol to me. I like the idea of a double action striker fired pistol with a decocker, but I'm not wild about Taurus, which seems to be the only other company that offers this. I've never fired a P99 or SW99, but they seem very comfortable and natural to point as well.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 5, 2010
    Hollow log
    Are there any that come without night sights? All of the SW99s I have seen have adjustable night sights and are less than $500 new. I see them for $450-$490 fairly often. They seem like a really under-appreciated pistol to me. I like the idea of a double action striker fired pistol with a decocker, but I'm not wild about Taurus, which seems to be the only other company that offers this. I've never fired a P99 or SW99, but they seem very comfortable and natural to point as well.

This habitual trampler speaks TRUTH.

The SW99 is one of the most under appreciated pistols on the market... no different than any other S&W automatic; reliable, boring, and vastly ignored.

Additionally, police trade in pistols typically exhibit little more than holster wear. If you have the chance to buy one for UNDER $300, JUMP ON IT.

Ops Marine

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 12, 2010
    Mine didn't come with night sights, but I think if you do find one for under $300, not jumping on it would be an absolute criminal act.

shooter521

Certified Glock Nut
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    May 13, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN US
    It has the QA, the 990, and the 99OL (Law Enforcement DAO) in its repetoire.

Well, I just learned my something new for today. :yesway:

Are there any that come without night sights? All of the SW99s I have seen have adjustable night sights and are less than $500 new. I see them for $450-$490 fairly often.

The ones we've currently got in at Bradis have fixed (drift adjustment only) night sights and are running $349.95. Haven't seen any come through with non-tritium sights.

Spoonz54

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 8, 2010
    Where can I look in WI for a used SW99? I currently have 1 i found at Gander Mountain that someone traded in but i wanted a second one. I'm not sure where to start looking or if i can purchase one out of state and have it shipped. Not sure on the laws with how that works.

Top Bottom