• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Jack Ryan

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 2, 2008
    Does any one have a 17hmr they've used a suppressor on?

Looking for details, effect, brands and models.

If you've got one, shot one, been standing there beside it while it was shot, I want to hear from you.

If you've read about it, saw it on the internet, took a physics class once and calculated it out..., have a cousin who's neighbor shot on once, I don't really care what you think or have to say. Don't waste everyone's time posting BS.

buckfever34

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 16, 2009
    Jackson County, IN
    I have some experience with them. In my personal opinion, it is not a really good round to suppress because it is a whizz-bangin round exited the muzzle in excess of 2500 fps. Since it is goin so fast, it is impossible to get a quiet, sub-sonic load with it.

You will still get a pretty significant downrange "crack." Having said that, it does make it significantly quieter at the shooter.

My honest opinion is that there are much better options to to suppress. For example, I would rather get a .223 can that I could use on an AR, bolt .223, and even use it on a .22 win mag if you want something comparable to the .17hmr.

Hope this has been some help...

barber613

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Feb 22, 2009
    Kokomo
    I had a dealer tell me that a .22 suppressor will on a .17hmr about as good as the .17hmr suppressor. I have not tried it.

Jack Ryan

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 2, 2008
    If you've heard the 17hmr and a 22 short go supersonic would you say they are comparable? Even when a 22 short goes supersonic it still cracks but it's less than the 22 lr. I'm thinking the lower mass, lower frontal area of the 17 should be less of a crack compared to other rounds traveling similar super sonic speeds.

The 17 hmr suppressed seems to be very popular in countries where suppression technology is just considered being neighborly. Many are apparently using suppressors designed for 223 on them. I'd like to know if any one has used one intended for 22lr on a 17hmr and if the crack was more intense or less or if one should just go with the capacity for 223 and use it for all three.

I've already googled the heck out of the topic so I'm really interested now in what someone who's shot one thinks of it, better yet ownes one and has played around with it a little.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    I'd like to know if any one has used one intended for 22lr on a 17hmr and if the crack was more intense or less or if one should just go with the capacity for 223 and use it for all three.

I've recently discussed this issue with some who are in the know. I'm told that a lot of 22 rimfire suppressors are not rated to handle the pressure of the .17 HMR, so you have to shop accordingly. Those I discussed this with might reply if, with all due respect, you are not on their ignore list.

Jack Ryan

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 2, 2008
    Well it goes like it goes. If I'm on theirs it's pretty likely they are on mine so what ever happens happens.

I dont' need the opinion bad enough to upset a rolling apple cart so if that's the case I'm all for continueing to ignore each other.

Last edited:
    Top Bottom