Suggestions for Do-it-Yourself Window Alarms?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • rambone

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    'Merica
    I'm researching self-installed window alarms. I'm not interested in subscribing to an alarm company right now.

I want to buy some simple electronic devices that run on batteries, and can detect whether a window has been broken. If a window is broken, the device should emit an audible alarm, either spooking them off, or make enough noise to alert the family.

I think I've seen such things that have magnetic sensors that attach to the window you want to monitor.

Also, they need to not go off during normal use, such as if you attach one to a window on an entry door. I don't want the alarm being so sensitive that it goes off when the door is slammed open or shut.

Any suggestions and reviews would be helpful.

gmviso

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 3, 2009
    NE Indiana
    I'm not interested in subscribing to an alarm company right now.

I want to buy some simple electronic devices that run on batteries, and can detect whether a window has been broken. If a window is broken, the device should emit an audible alarm, either spooking them off, or make enough noise to alert the family.

I think I've seen such things that have magnetic sensors that attach to the window you want to monitor.

Also, they need to not go off during normal use, such as if you attach one to a window on an entry door. I don't want the alarm being so sensitive that it goes off when the door is slammed open or shut.

Any suggestions and reviews would be helpful.

I don't know if this is the right forum for this so be prepared.

Having said that, wiring up all your windows and doors will be a real pain. I would suggest finding some motion detectors. My house is professionally alarmed by ADT and 15 years ago when I had it done I thought the way to go was the doors and windows also.

They did do the doors, because the only way you can come through most doors is by opening it. However keep in mind that glass can be broken and the thief can enter without physically opening the window and disturbing the magnetic contact switch.

I have one motion detector whose sole purpose is to protect the sleeping area. In my case it montors the area which leads to the stairs to the second story.

There are many web stores that sell home security and you should be able to find what you need.

A_Tomic

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 13, 2009
    Orland, IN
    Try X-10

hey Rambone,

I think you should try X-10.

I am the do it your self type and have installed a number of they're products. I have an in house system and a small external system that will warn me up in my bedroom by turning a radio on and downstairs by turning a light. If anyone comes within 30 yards of my house I will know it before they even get here... My neighbor sets the external off every time he mows his lawn, and he is 45 yards away.

Here is a link --> X10.com - X10 Home Security, Wireless Security Camera, Home Automation, Electronics and More!

for 99 bucks you can get started.
    It will call about 5 telephone numbers if it is set off. until someone picks up the phone. Then it plays the recorded messege you put on it. I have the thing saying that there is a robery in progress at (my address) . I dont have the nerve to have it call 911, but it will call my cell, work, kids, and my folks. I dont want false alarms going to 911.
    I have never had a false alarm. and I have had 2 times that it warned me, once it was my kids and once it was me not setting it right when I left for work.

you will rep me if you buy one!!! they are really worth the money. and a real good deal... you'll see.

Take care.... stay safe!!!

I think that all INGO members that dont want to put out the bucks for the popular pay every month alarm systems should look at these. You can protect your self and family and not break the bank.

If you need help with install PM me. I dont sell them. you buy direct. I just know they work. :):)

henktermaat

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jan 3, 2009
    hey Rambone,

I think you should try X-10.

I am the do it your self type and have installed a number of they're products. I have an in house system and a small external system that will warn me up in my bedroom by turning a radio on and downstairs by turning a light. If anyone comes within 30 yards of my house I will know it before they even get here... My neighbor sets the external off every time he mows his lawn, and he is 45 yards away.

Here is a link --> X10.com - X10 Home Security, Wireless Security Camera, Home Automation, Electronics and More!

for 99 bucks you can get started.
    It will call about 5 telephone numbers if it is set off. until someone picks up the phone. Then it plays the recorded messege you put on it. I have the thing saying that there is a robery in progress at (my address) . I dont have the nerve to have it call 911, but it will call my cell, work, kids, and my folks. I dont want false alarms going to 911.
    I have never had a false alarm. and I have had 2 times that it warned me, once it was my kids and once it was me not setting it right when I left for work.

you will rep me if you buy one!!! they are really worth the money. and a real good deal... you'll see.

Take care.... stay safe!!!

I think that all INGO members that dont want to put out the bucks for the popular pay every month alarm systems should look at these. You can protect your self and family and not break the bank.

If you need help with install PM me. I dont sell them. you buy direct. I just know they work. :):)

Thanks for the review, I've always wondered about those. Would wind, cats, or squirrels set them off?

A_Tomic

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 13, 2009
    Orland, IN
    They work pretty good

Thanks for the review, I've always wondered about those. Would wind, cats, or squirrels set them off?

Well, The infrared external have been set off by dear a few times and a dang cat a couple of times. That cat is gona get a pellet in the butt one of these days. I'm kinda surprised how well they work. They don't go off if the wind blows stuff around, they are infrared and see the body heat.

The internal works great I have door sensors and a motion sensor, so I dont need all the windows covered cause if you get in the motion sensor will get you. I have the big 4 horn siren and it will take your ears off and most of the neighbors will hear it too. Then I will get a call and they better hope they aint there when I get there. :ar15:

I was thinking about starting a business installing these. They really do work good, so I would be glad to help folks if they need it.

Take Care,

Archbishop

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 11, 2009
    INDY
    I believe the original question was for a "glass break" type of device. For protecting windows you have two basic options.
    1. Is the magnetic switch that can tell when the window sash is open. Downside is if it's a large picture window BG breaks the glass steps through and never opens the sash.
    2. Is a glass break sensor that can "hear" the breaking sound of glass and then set off an alarm accordingly. It's possible pop a sash open without breaking the glass thereby not setting off the alarm.
    Best would be using both forms of alarm protection on windows. If I had to pick one I would choose the glass break sensor. Provided you have a good lock that can not simply be "popped" and you actually use the lock you'll force the BG to break the window not open the sash thereby setting off the alarm.
    Now to the point of the question as I understood it. You can get the magnetic type pretty much anywhere. a couple bucks will buy you a basic unit. I've not seen the audio glass break type sold a self contained basic el-cheapo unit. Although, it wouldn't be to hard to construct one with some some basic parts and pieces. You could probably even combine it with x10 if you wanted.
    Anyway if you're interested send me a PM and I'd be happy to help out.

ATF Consumer

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 23, 2008
    South Side Indy
    There are also the glass break sensors that use adhesive strips of foil along the edges of the glass that run on low voltage current and when the glass gets broken, the foil breaks as well which triggers the alarm when the circuit becomes open. I've seen these in commercial applications, but I'm sure that should be a pretty simple installation for a DIY.

rambone

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    'Merica
    Thanks for all the suggestions so far. Keep em coming.

To clarify my post, the particular window that worries me the most is a window that is on my entry door. It does not open, and is only inches above the door knob and dead bolt. It is definitely is the weakest point of security. If someone wanted to get in they would break the glass and open the locks by hand.

By the way, I rent, so I can't replace the door as I would like.

If these window sensors work out, I may use them on other windows as well. But my main motivation is securing the entry door.

opus1776

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 28, 2008
    Rambone,

Try to do a google search on 3M security film. You can put the security film on the window and it will be very difficult to break the glass (I believe that the film is almost stong enough to protect from a hurricane...)

henktermaat

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jan 3, 2009
    Rambone,

Try to do a google search on 3M security film. You can put the security film on the window and it will be very difficult to break the glass (I believe that the film is almost stong enough to protect from a hurricane...)

Now that's a cool idea...

2ADMNLOVER

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    May 13, 2009
    West side Indy
    To clarify my post, the particular window that worries me the most is a window that is on my entry door. It does not open, and is only inches above the door knob and dead bolt. It is definitely is the weakest point of security. If someone wanted to get in they would break the glass and open the locks by hand..

Maybe you could add something like a door stop alarm . It's just like every other stop except it has a spring loaded alarm that activates when the door opens against it .

Mr. Habib

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 4, 2009
    Somewhere else
    Thanks for all the suggestions so far. Keep em coming.

To clarify my post, the particular window that worries me the most is a window that is on my entry door. It does not open, and is only inches above the door knob and dead bolt. It is definitely is the weakest point of security. If someone wanted to get in they would break the glass and open the locks by hand.

By the way, I rent, so I can't replace the door as I would like.

If these window sensors work out, I may use them on other windows as well. But my main motivation is securing the entry door.
    Can you replace the dead bolt? If so, you could change to one that is keyed on both sides. There are some that use an inside key that looks like the standard knob, but is actually a key and is removable.

rambone

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    'Merica
    Can you replace the dead bolt? If so, you could change to one that is keyed on both sides. There are some that use an inside key that looks like the standard knob, but is actually a key and is removable.

I didn't know they made such things. That's a pretty neat idea.

Keep it up guys! :yesway:

Archbishop

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 11, 2009
    INDY
    There are also the glass break sensors that use adhesive strips of foil along the edges of the glass that run on low voltage current and when the glass gets broken, the foil breaks as well which triggers the alarm when the circuit becomes open. I've seen these in commercial applications, but I'm sure that should be a pretty simple installation for a DIY.
    Considered covering this, but it's not really used so much anymore. it's ugly and will eventually crack and break. Essentially though it's the same idea as the magnetic contacts. both act as a simple switch that opens creating the alarm condition.

jedi

Da PinkFather
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Oct 27, 2008
    NWI, North of US-30
    Thanks for the info on the x-10 system. The $99 starter kit looks like a good deal: http://www.x10.com/promotions/ds7000_ed_12dw_0708_burst2_cat.html.

:hijack:
    Just a few questions. The Voice Dialer Console say's it phones up to 4 numbers so it needs a "land line" right? One of the pages says you can use VoIP but can't find out how or even if it is possible.

Also the Door/Window Sensor how do they work? Meaning thy only "sence" when a door/window is opened and the two connectors are not touching each other right? This works well for when you open a door, per say, bu what about a window? Could they just not break all the glass and get in? Or what about those sliding window doors?

**EDIT** A little more reading shows that the sensordoes work the way I am thinking. Still what about when someone breaks the glass? Then what?

You mentioned you have a external system as well. Is it part of the x10 family of products as well? It is connected to your internal system?

A_Tomic

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 13, 2009
    Orland, IN
    Hey Jediagh,

Yes I think you need a land line, thats how mine is hooked up. If they say it will work for voice over IP you will have read up on that.

Your question about breaking a window is true. They could break a window and not set off the proximity switch, but they may also open the window so they dont get cut, then set off the alarm. That would also be true if the broke my front door window to unlock the door. But when they turn the knob and open the door they set off the alarm.

And if they did break a window and go through the window they would most likely go into my main living room/great room... that's when the motion detector sets off the alarm.

I also have a sliding back door with a door sensor located on the bottom rail, so if they break the glass to unlock the door then slide it they will set off the alarm. Actually, if they break the glass they will also set off the motion detector first, before they even slide the door.

The external system is X-10 also, I use a couple of the active eye sensors that trigger a radio and a light inside my house.

jedi

Da PinkFather
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Oct 27, 2008
    NWI, North of US-30
    Thanks A_Tomic,

Looks like others on the x-10 fourms have been able to use VoIP with the voice dialer to get it to work. Hum... Need to think this thru as it may be cheaper to just sign up for a land-line then getting a VoIP via Vonage since that would require one of my PCs always one and connect to the Net whereas a lineland is always one even when the power is out.

Hum.. more thinking needed on this but I do like the system and how you can add on to it.

Stove

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    The x10 stuff looks like it would work good. I currently have adt, but my house was hard wired when we built it, so I could use anyone. The one thing I think X10 is missing, or at least I didn't see it, is a wired in smoke detector. That is the only reason that I haven't dropped the adt service and went to something like the x10 stuff. If my wired in smoke detector goes off it calls out to 911, just don't want to burn anything in the oven!!

Archbishop

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 11, 2009
    INDY
    The x10 stuff looks like it would work good. I currently have adt, but my house was hard wired when we built it, so I could use anyone. The one thing I think X10 is missing, or at least I didn't see it, is a wired in smoke detector. That is the only reason that I haven't dropped the adt service and went to something like the x10 stuff. If my wired in smoke detector goes off it calls out to 911, just don't want to burn anything in the oven!!
    X10 will never have a smoke that meets code because it doesn't have two way communication. But if you wanted to build such a device it wouldn't be too hard with off the shelf parts. PM me if you want details.

Top Bottom