• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • DocSkunk

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jun 1, 2012
    Kendallville
    Im staining the stock on my PSL. I have took it all apart and sanded off the old stain and clear coat. It is nice and smooth. I started to stain the first coat. After 16 hours of drying its very ruff to the touch. The can said not the sand it between coats so i applied the second coat to darken it more. I know its still going to be ruff. My question is should i sand it lightly with some fine sandpaper before applying the clear coat? Or abide by the can and not sand it and hope the gloss smooths it out. I have not done something like this before. So any advice will help. Ill post my picture of this adventure soon as im done.

1911ly

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 11, 2011
    South Bend
    If you sand it now you can bring out a bit more of the wood grain look. You can stain over it again if it gets to light for your liking. You can use 0000 steel wool if the wood is pretty smooth.

Woobie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 19, 2014
    Losantville
    I generally will sand after staining. The moisture tends to make things fuzzy or uneven. I don't try to remove the first coat, just bring it back smooth. Then apply a second coat and, once dry, ensure it is even and not splotchy. Then you can move to your oil or preferred finish. I like using Tru-oil by rubbing in a coat, letting it dry, then sanding with 0000 steel wool. Repeat this until you get a nice build up.

Psode27

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 23, 2011
    Rochester
    I used a mix of RIT dye, lots of steel wool, and Deft polyurethane spray for some AK stocks a while back and they turned out nice. I think I'd listen to the above advice though. The stuff Squirt recommended looks pretty slick!

Post pics when finished!

DocSkunk

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jun 1, 2012
    Kendallville
    well i ran into abit of a issue. i think. you tell me. Granted each coat of stain and gloss takes 24 hours to dry for some reason. I dont glob it on. The gloss recommend 220 grit sand paper, i happen to have that on hand and i used the cheese cloth. using the sand paper (lightly) it let some pinkish looking streaks in it and the stain came off this is after one coat of gloss. i used the cheese cloth and it had a red tint to it. I applied the second and final coat of gloss and i cant see those pink streaks anymore i was afraid to sand it to much thinking i was messing it up. I can tell you this being my first time, might be my last. ill post a pic when i wake up later today.

Spryguy

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 9, 2016
    Kankakee
    Did you raise the grain before staining it? You raise the grain of the wood after sanding and before staining. You sand it up to the finest sand paper you want then take a damp towel and wipe it down. You just want to dampen the wood not soak it. You will see a bunch of tiny wood fibers raise up. Let it dry then take that same fine sand paper and lightly sand it again. It is now ready for staining. Just did this with some AK wood and used rite dye to stain it. Finished it with some ting oil. Still have a few more costs of tung oil I want to apply but it turned out great.

Spryguy

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 9, 2016
    Kankakee
    Forgot to mention to use steel wool to polish the wood before staining to really make the grain come alive. You'd be surprised at the difference raising the grain and polishing with 0000 steel wool makes.

Top Bottom