• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Hellion_1

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Jan 22, 2009
    Putnam County
    I am planning a trip to Colorado to do some shooting out to 800+ yards. I will be using a .308. I acquired two 20" X 40" hanging AR500 steel targets that are 3/8" thick. From all of the reading I have done, 3/8" AR500 is usually the preferred material for this. Plus I wanted audible feedback on impact at long distance. I have never shot at steel before with a rifle.

Since my own range limits me to 100 yards, I figured I would try that first. I spread the shots out so I could identify them easier. Much to my surprise, it does not seem to be hard/thick enough for target purposes inside 200 yards. I don't even think 1/2" would have performed much better. Pictures below...

On a side note, I found that soft tipped Winchester 308 simply devastated the target by blowing a hole right through it. This was exactly opposite of what I expected. Who needs armor piercing ammo if soft tipped hunting loads have this much penetration on 3/8" AR500 steel.

1. Is this normal?
    2. Am I to assume I can only use these targets at 300+ yards with .308?
    3. Why did the soft point over-penetrate rather than shatter/expand on impact?

It was very eye-opening. :eek: If you get in a rifle fight, there is not a whole lot you can hide behind.

On to the pics:

308%20steel%20shots.jpg

308%20steel%20back.jpg

db1959

Resident Dumbass I
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 4, 2011
    In a garage
    How was the steel mounted? This is judt a thought but if the steal wasnt hung so it didnt swing maybe rounds would penetrate/damage it. Just a though. Or it wasnt real AR500.

Hellion_1

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Jan 22, 2009
    Putnam County
    42769Vette: I cannot remember the name of the company. The guy goes to a lot of the smaller gun shows out West (Greencastle, Brazil, Lafayette, etc.) He has cut/made all of the steel targets for the Proteq range ( proteq.us ). We have some of his AR400 handgun targets. We have not had any issues with them at all. I will try to get the name here in a bit.

db1959: Steel plate was hanging so it would swing.

Last edited:

42769vette

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Oct 6, 2008
    south of richmond in
    id defintally check with him. it sounds like you bought the exact plate you should have for your application. i wonder if some of his batches got mixed up. ive never done it but im farily certain i could shoot my targets with a 308 leaning against a tree with no swinging and they would not do this.

id defintally try and find out the dealers name

Hellion_1

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Jan 22, 2009
    Putnam County
    The name of the business is "The Iron Works".

I have his name, we are going to contact him tomorrow, as we just got the plates last night and tested them out this evening..

top hat 45

Sharpshooter
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jun 4, 2008
    northern shelby co.
    i agree its not ar 500. i have 12 of bobcat steels ar 500 targets and they have taken without even denting every thing we can throw at it, 308's , 25/06, hard tipped 223s etc from 50 yds and beyond.

singlesix

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 13, 2008
    Indianapolis, In
    QUE and I had the fun of blasting Bobcat Steel's AR-500 Target at 100 yards with .308 and .223, no dents or dinks to report. Heck we even shot at the same time and no affect on the target .. the target stand it fall over ..:rockwoot:

Hellion_1

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Jan 22, 2009
    Putnam County
    The guy took them back no questions asked and is going to have them tested. The plate they were cut from was sold to him as AR500. Will keep you informed.

ZbornacSVT: My cousin has contacted you via email in regards to getting a price for a 20" X 40" sillouette from you.

42769vette

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Oct 6, 2008
    south of richmond in
    The guy took them back no questions asked and is going to have them tested. The plate they were cut from was sold to him as AR500. Will keep you informed.

ZbornacSVT: My cousin has contacted you via email in regards to getting a price for a 20" X 40" sillouette from you.

i knos nextnothing about this but i think if i was cutting on a 4x8 sheet of steel (or whatever they come in) and was told "this is ar500" i would know pretty quickly that it was cutting ot easy and not actual ar500.

im glad he took it back but there is still a pretty stiff safty concern here.

ZbornacSVT

Owner at Bobcat Armament
    Site Supporter
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Feb 15, 2009
    Shelbyville

Thanks for sending Dayle our way!

i knos nextnothing about this but i think if i was cutting on a 4x8 sheet of steel (or whatever they come in) and was told "this is ar500" i would know pretty quickly that it was cutting ot easy and not actual ar500.

im glad he took it back but there is still a pretty stiff safty concern here.

It all cuts the same with proper equipment.

hip shot

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 21, 2010
    No way in heck that is AR500.

we totally agree there is no way that that AR 500 steel. We have bought three targets from bobcats steel that we have pounded the heck out of with everything from 45 70 to 308. From 100 yards out to 430 yards. And have never left a mark on the target. And that includes 308 military ball ammo that was very hot.

You need to take that back and by some targets from bobcats steel.:ar15: :ar15:

Top Bottom