• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • RangeJunkie

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Aug 15, 2011
    Geist
    So I got a letter a while back about SC trying to do a similar classification system as USPSA.

I don't know many of the details, do any of you?

Seems like the "classifications" would come down to hundreths of a second, that's about the only way I could see it being done. Is there any other feasible way?

All I can imagine is a bunch of high classification SC shooters and lower classification USPSA shooters.

"I'm a GM in Steel Challenge, but only a _ in USPSA".

Should be interesting!

cyprant

Master
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Dec 13, 2011
    North Georgia
    From Steel Challenge Web Site:

Classifications use only 6 stages (SC-104 and SC-108are included in the ranking, but not used for classification). This is done since those excluded stages require a larger range layout and SCSA wishes to make it possible for our members to obtain classification at as many different clubs as reasonably possible.

Rankings are generated using your SCSA member number. If a score is missing, please check the match results to verify your member number is included and correct. If the number is inaccurate, you need to contact match staff to have the results corrected and re-uploaded.

A time of 30.00 seconds is used for each string inany stage that the competitor has not shot (A total of 120 seconds for abest 4 of 5strings stage; 90 seconds for a best 3 of 4 strings stage).

Rankings are based on scores from all 8 stages in all divisions except Rimfire and Shotgun.

Rankings and classifications are only reported for SCSA members who have at least one of the official stages used for standings on file.

The classification system is new, and subject to refinement/change as SCSA gains additional data and experience.

Class - 6 Stage Class Aggregate
    Steel Grand Master <= 65 seconds
    Steel Master <= 75 seconds
    Steel A <= 85 seconds
    Steel B<= 115 seconds
    Steel C<= 200 seconds
    Steel D <= 500 seconds

There are only 15 Steel GMs.

Bosshoss

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Dec 11, 2009
    MADISON
    There used to be a "time in flight" formula for each stage that had to be added to your times as the SC had sensors on the stop plate to stop the time. Most all clubs use a standard timer so the "TIF" had to be added to your times to get a real score. I don't know if they still are doing this or not.
    It made a differance on some of the stages with longer shots to the stop plate.

chizzle

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Dec 8, 2008
    Indianapolis
    Since these classifications don't make any adjustments for different classes, I wonder how long it will be until their inundated with questions like:

"Why are only Open shooters making Master and Grand Master?"
    "The fastest Production shooter in the world is only an A class...?"

I know they had to start somewhere with this system, but it sure seems like it is stirring the pot more than resolving an issue.

kevinsr98

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   1
    Feb 12, 2011
    Since these classifications don't make any adjustments for different classes, I wonder how long it will be until their inundated with questions like:

"Why are only Open shooters making Master and Grand Master?"
    "The fastest Production shooter in the world is only an A class...?"

I know they had to start somewhere with this system, but it sure seems like it is stirring the pot more than resolving an issue.

I saw that too. I like the idea of a classification system for SC. But the way they have done it makes no sense.

Every class of firearm will be based on the times of the best Open shooters. Not based on the best in the class your shooting. Production, Limited, etc...

If they would make it similar to how USPSA does it, I would be interested in joining up...

chizzle

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Dec 8, 2008
    Indianapolis
    I saw that too. I like the idea of a classification system for SC. But the way they have done it makes no sense.

Every class of firearm will be based on the times of the best Open shooters. Not based on the best in the class your shooting. Production, Limited, etc...

If they would make it similar to how USPSA does it, I would be interested in joining up...

The way they have it set up now, I think you'll have a lot of clubs that just say "no thanks" and don't submit scores. It's more work for the volunteers that run the match, and typically adds cost too.

Last edited:

G7.

SteelShooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    WYOMING; SOMEDAY...
    They way they have it set up now, I think you'll have a lot of clubs that just say "no thanks" and don't submit scores. It's more work for the volunteers that run the match, and typically adds cost too.

ACC currently is in the "no thanks" mode.
    Unless I get a volunteer that wants to tackle it . . . :popcorn:

What are the two non-classifying stages?? I'm guessing Outer Limits and Speed Option. I agree that until classifications are broken down by divisions (what gun you shoot) this boils down to the old question, "If I get this gun, will I shoot better???"

What I plan on doing is finally starting a spreadsheet that shows my average time for each official stage, then my aggregate, so I can see where I would be classed. Seeing as I mess around with everything from a SW617 to 500 Wyoming Express, ONE CLASS for that aggregate makes little sense. Now if I ONLY shot Production division, it could work for me.

mongo404

Master
    Rating - 100%
    45   0   0
    Sep 18, 2009
    Frankfort
    I have a feeling that it wil be made to where you will have to turn in scores and pay classifer fees or you wont be allowed to call you match a Steel Challenge match..

rvb

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 14, 2009
    IN (a refugee from MD)
    [sigh]

I liked that SC was one of the last sports that didnt pander to making every body a winner.

The only piece of the uspsa classification I like is the metric for how well you are doing nationally.... but that's built into SC. Pick a common stage... what's your time? What's the record for that stage? You don't need to submit your score to anybody to get a feel for how your skill level compares.

Just more participation trophies.......

-rvb

Top Bottom