• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • drgnrobo

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 9, 2009
    ft. wayne
    like it says pros and cons of this pistol ,it may be my first polymer pistol buy ,have shot in 9mm seems favorably nice just wanting some input:popcorn:

Bubbajms

Master
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Sep 3, 2008
    Delphi, IN
    Intended use? Carry/Home/Range/Duty/Other?

XDs are nice, though they (and any other firearm, really) will have pros and cons depending on intended use.

Bubbajms

Master
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Sep 3, 2008
    Delphi, IN
    If I'm assuming we're talking about a standard XD, then I don't know that you'd get a whole lot. It's a little shorter, but the overall height is the same (comparing an XD Service Model in .40) so I guess it depends on how it's digging in.

The part that appeals to me is the 12 round capacity.

Maybe see if a buddy has one with a holster you could try? That's probably the only way you'll know, short of buying one, if it'll fit you or not..

striker1

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 22, 2009
    Michiana
    A good choice, I think, if it fits you and your intended use. I owned an XD-40 Service for awhile but found that I preferred my P229s. The 229 in .40 (or .357Sig) is smooth. I found the XD-40 a bit snappier, although not a problem.

The XD line is great. I am looking for a good used XD-45 Tactical at the moment.

Travis45

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 13, 2009
    Albany
    I recently had an XD in .40. Its a good choice for a carry gun. I actually carried it more than my 21SF since it concealed easier.

U.S. Patriot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 87.5%
    7   1   0
    Jan 30, 2009
    Columbus
    I own an Xd .40 service model, and love it. I have fired around 500-600 rounds through it. All types of target, and sd ammo with no issues. For winter carry I use an Uncle Mikes kydex holster. For summer I use a Desantis ISB, and it conceals very nicely. It's a very well balanced gun, and very accurate. I do not notice the snap, that some people say it has. I honestly see any cons to it.

NWI40cal

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 20, 2008
    Hammond
    I've carried one daily for the last 1.5 years. Sometimes it's a little uncomfortable in my serpa, but all in all I love it. It's also 12+1, not just 12, yes I'm a smartass.

As for cons, people say it has a squishy trigger. It's just not a gritty glock trigger. It has a long take up, then a clean 4-5 lb break. They break in nicely by 1000 rounds, and a little nicer by about 5k. As for 10k I'll let you know, but it just keeps getting smoother.

If you're ever in the hammond neighborhood, I could meet you at the range and let you blast a few.

Look at my name. It was my first, and is my 99% of the time main carry. I have to show my XD9SC some love sometimes.

kludge

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    I have XD-40 service model.

Pros:
    Accurate
    100% reliable
    Shoots great, good trigger
    Grip angle is perfect
    Fully supported chamber (doesn't ruin your brass like a .40 Glock)
    Can use lead bullets (Glock can't/shoudn't)
    Easy field strip

Cons:
    Just a tad too big/heavy for appendix IWB, but I do it anyway.

cce1302

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 26, 2008
    Back down south
    I bought my XD40 SC in 2004 and have carried it ever since. I carry IWB in a desantis tuck this and don't even notice it except when it isn't there. It's comfortable to shoot. I don't know what "snappy" means.
    I don't know how much ammo I've put through it. A few thousand rounds probably. Eats everything. 180gr FMJ, 155 JHP, 180gr cast lead (nasty dirty stuff), Ranger-T, Lawman, hydrashoks, whatever. No malfunctions of any sort.

I liked it so much I bought a used XD40 Service for $350 about a year and a half ago.:rockwoot:
    It's got about a thousand or so rounds through it, same variety as the other one.
    They are both great guns.

lawrra

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 28, 2009
    Huntington
    If you're leaning towards an XD Service, it might be worth looking into the XDm. The XDm is just a bit longer than the service, with 4 more rounds. I carry one in a Crossbreed Super Tuck daily. I haven't shot a XD 40, only the 45 Tactical, so I can't give an accurate comparison. If you want to shoot my XDm40 let me know, I live in Huntington.

drgnrobo

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 9, 2009
    ft. wayne
    wow The pros seem to outweigh the con ,thanks guys appreciate the input guess I,m on my way to polymer phase of handgun collecting & carrying

Top Bottom