• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Coolhuntermike

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 1, 2013
    Goshen
    ok so i am an avid hunter and well not many of these makers make the shotguns and muzzle loaders i am accustom to i need some advice i dont own a hand gun but have been really wanting one lately. what is the best option i have been looking at .40 models. id love to hear your advice

thanks!

BJones

Master
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    46   0   0
    Aug 26, 2009
    Noblesville/Westfld
    If your use is Competition, Everyday carry or just plinking, there are a lot of choices, but your use might change the final decision of which one is best. Barrel length grip size ect.

Lots of good guns out there, and Glock and Springfield make one for every use. You cant go wrong with one of those.:twocents:

Last edited:

Coolhuntermike

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 1, 2013
    Goshen
    Well I was thinking about the .40 and buying a conversion kit to the 9 or 357 sig not really looking to buy a lot of guns thought this would. Be a less expensive way to shoot multiple calibers. Also I hear .40 is the easier ammo to get right now

throttletony

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jul 11, 2011
    nearby
    I might suggest getting a 9mm also. If it's for fun, get a .40 with a conversion, if it's for carry, stick with OEM stuff. 9 is cheaper to shoot, for me it's MORE fun also!!! Again, if it's first handgun, get a 9mm or even a .22, or both!
    For brands, I really like Glock and the springfield XDM line, I have less experience with the S&W M&P line, but I've heard only good things about them too. For me, price and accessories became important, and I chose Glock in the end. (THe glock finish is very tough, as is the whole gun itself)

throttletony

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jul 11, 2011
    nearby
    Well I was thinking about the .40 and buying a conversion kit to the 9 or 357 sig not really looking to buy a lot of guns thought this would. Be a less expensive way to shoot multiple calibers. Also I hear .40 is the easier ammo to get right now
    AS of right now, at least here in Bloomington, ALL of these calibers are hard to come by. The 9mm is cheaper to shoot ($12-17/50 rounds of 9mm vs $18-24/50 for .40)
    When things settle down in 6 months, you wouldn't regret having a 9mm.
    That's my :twocents: anyways.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    If you want to use this for EDC and self defense stay with a .40 or a .45
    Yes, more expensive but expense can not be an issue if defense is your intent.
    If to use for fun and defense then as much as my heart say's no.....get a glock with the ability to switch calibers.
    .40's bust butt.

Excalibur

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   2   0
    May 11, 2012
    NWI
    Home defense go .45

There's nothing wrong with carrying 9mm. Some good +P ammo and shot placement and lighter recoil is just as effective as a .45

Voodoo574

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 3, 2012
    South Bend/ Mishawaka
    I own the S&W M&P40. I love it now that I installed the Hi-Vis sights and Apex parts. For EDC I personally believe .40 or .45 is the way to go. But if you want to shoot competition 9mm might be best. As far as which gun is best. It is which ever gun fits you the best. I think all 3 are good guns. It just boils down to personal fit. Enjoy which ever you decide.

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    They're all fine guns. Usually, when these questions come up, folks are advised to check the models they're interested in, out for themselves. Each make feels better or worse in the hand depending on who's evaluating them. What I like may not be what you like.

Then there's varying theories about calibers. There's a good arguement about the 9mm in that followup shots are easier because of muzzle flip/recoil. Some will say standardize on a caliber to minimize ammo spending, etc. As for me, I went for the SA XDm in .40. When I was buying, for me it was a toss up between it and the M&P--I'm happy with my selection. But I also have .45 and .38 cal handguns as well--I chose the diverse caliber route because I wanted to not be held hostage by the availability of one particular caliber.

But those are just my opinions. And you'll find, just like with hunting gear, handgun opinons are as common as arm pits. :D

Coolhuntermike

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 1, 2013
    Goshen
    Thanks guys this is all good info to keep in mind.

I was wondring if anyone had any comments on my idea of conversion barrels to shoot multiple calibers do many people do this or what are your thoughts?

MorePowerWes

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 18, 2013
    Palmyra, In
    I recommend you go for a 9mm. It's cheaper than .40 and comes in a wide variety of weights and pressures. Personally, I'm a Glock guy (G17 Gen4), but the S&W M&P is pretty awesome too! Not a big XD fan. Not bad guns. Just don't like them. Oh.. There are several conversion kits for Glocks. I don't know about the others.

Bigtanker

Cuddles
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Aug 21, 2012
    Osceola
    ok so i am an avid hunter and well not many of these makers make the shotguns and muzzle loaders i am accustom to i need some advice i dont own a hand gun but have been really wanting one lately. what is the best option i have been looking at .40 models. id love to hear your advice

thanks!

The best advice I can give you is to drive a bit to Kodiak in South Bend and rent all 3. It's $10 per session for as many guns as you want. You just have to buy the ammo there. ($13.50 per box) I did this last fall and it is great shooting the Glock, S&W and the Springfield back to back to back. The guys at Kodiak are great also.

Side note: I now own an XDm.

Mark-DuCo

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 1, 2012
    Ferdinand
    It boils down to shooter preference really. Different guns just fit different people's hands better. As for as caliber, I can shoot my .40 now, if I still had my 9 it would just be a show piece. Also nothing wrong with a little more knockdown poer with very little loss in mag capacity. I love my Springfield XDm in .40.

Leo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    Wrap your hand around a S&W. I think it is the best feeling of the three. None of them are known for troubles. I just saw my 6th broken glock, (this one had a barrel lug snapped off) that is not many considering how many I have seen over the years. I have seen 2 broken Springfields, again, not many considering. I have never seen a broken S&W, of course they have not been out that long.

I do not even like polymer pistols, but I have owned some glocks, an XD, and am considering an M&P from the good folks at S&W, once the crazy pricing and back orders stablize.

Last edited:

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    All of them are reliable, have reasonable accuracy, etc. The differences are in things like trigger feel, grip angle, etc.

Grip size and angle affect how the gun naturally points for you and how it feels in your hand. Some of them have adjustable backstraps, which can modify feel, but your stuck with the angle.

Trigger feel is different between them. I don't like the feel of the S&W's jointed trigger, With an APEX kit and some trigger work, its acceptable but will never be my favorite. The 4th Gen Glocks are better than some of their earlier offerings, but also not my favorite. Springfield probably has the best trigger feel in a striker fired gun for me, at least in the XDS. The shorter reset gives it the win over Glock.

Of your choices, I'd probably go with Springfield. However this is based on personal preference. In the end you need to handle these guns, see what points naturally for you, what type of sights you prefer, which grip feels right in your hand, which type of trigger you like the feel of, etc.

jwh20

Master
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Feb 22, 2013
    Hamilton County Indi

thanks!

Personally I don't think any .40 S&W consideration would be complete without looking at the HK P30. I made the "mistake" of holding on in my hand at a shop a few months back. I had to take it home with me...

bombdiggity090

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 27, 2013
    NWI
    Springfield and Smith and Wesson both offer features that the Glock pistols do not. Springfield XD lines use a grip safety and a system that prevents the gun from being pushed out of battery from the front. They also have a nice line of compact guns that can be easily converted to full size grips for range days by using a sleeve on a full length magazine, as well as having an ambidextrious magazine release.

Smith and Wesson offers a truly ambidextrious firearm using a y shaped slide lock and easily changeable mag release. They also offer an interchangeable backstrap system which you will not find in the others apart from the gen4 glocks and springfield xdm series, not on their "budget" lines.

In reality it will come down to what fits the best in your hand and if you have the chance to do so whatever shoots the best for you.

Top Bottom