• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Mongo59

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jul 30, 2018
    Purgatory
    I was reacting to the fact he's interested in shooting sporting, a multiple-shot game where a shell-catcher isn't going to help and an auto is going to throw his empties in the bushes.

You are correct, however, that used O/Us sell well. His budget goes up to 5k, so my comment is along the lines that it will be easier to unload a used A400 for $1,000, than any break-open gun at $2k or higher, when haggling comes into play. (There are still a lot of old phartes who think they should be able to get a used Citori for $800, lol).
    I passed on a Fausti last week for $400, does that make me an old phartes?

tackdriver

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 20, 2010
    Yup! - Welcome to shooting clays! I like all kinds of shooting, but Sporting Clays has got to be the most fun I get to have with a gun!

Lot's of really good advice above. A few things you mentioned stuck out, so I thought I'd share a few things that were passed on to me.

The "fit" of a shotgun is FAR more important than it is with pistol/rifle. With a shotgun, YOU are the rear sight (so to speak), so having the barrel line up with your body and eye is critical. The gun comes to you more than you to it. I'm not saying that you need a tailor made gun just to shoot clays. Most production shotguns have ways to configure them to get pretty close. I took just 3/8" off my stock, and it made a world of difference. You've got a budget for a solid set up, so think Shotgun + Fitting for your purchase, and I think you'll be happy.

It's been said that Sporting Clays is like playing golf with a shotgun. If you're a golfer, imagine having a set of clubs built for someone 9" taller or shorter. A decent set that fits is way better than an expensive one that fits someone else. Without it, everything else about your game gets wonky, and you spend your time chasing the wrong problems.

There used to be a Pro giving lessons at IGC that also did fittings/adjustments. Don't know if he is still around, but it's a place to start.

Second - Choke. I've seen a few friends having a real hard time at Sporting Clays, only to find out that they were using FULL chokes. Swapped it for an IC and they started splashing them. What to use is part of the game, but if you've only got one, go shorter than you may think.

Last thought - A nice O/U is great, and maybe your best choice, but an Semi-Auto is worth serious consideration (even though it's not as sexy). The action eats a lot of the recoil, so they are softer on your shoulder. No big deal for hunting, but 100 rounds of 12 ga (and more if your like me and can't leave after one round of clays), and it can make a big difference. Just a thought.

Any way you go, I hope you wind up with a great shotgun, and have a lot of fun!!

Born2vette

Norm, Team woodworker
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Jul 25, 2020
    Westfield
    I took a lesson from Kyle Norman at IGC, they can give you his contact info or PM me. Had fun and he had me hitting more than half of the novice clays on their sporting course by the end of the lesson using a rental autoloader.

I had fun but did not want to invest $2k in a shotgun, looked at lots of options and settled on a Beretta A300 Ultima (less than $800). Nice, light weight autoloader, easy on my old shoulder, I shoot well with it and lots of fun at IGC when I get out there (Planning on this week with the nice weather as I am a fair weather shooter). Versatile shotgun, easy to sell if I find I no longer want or can shoot. Hoping to join a sporting clay league if they have one this spring/summer.

Good luck in your quest.

geoexchange

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    I've been coaching youth shotgun teams (trap, skeet, sporting clays) for 25+ years and hold instructor/coach certificates in both trap and skeet. The absolute worst mistake I see is when someone spends good money on a gun that a). doesn't fit the shooter or b). is not good quality. My best advice is to keep using loaners/rentals/borrowed guns until you find the one that fits you and will be reliable and hold it's value. Some of the earlier advice is really good - stick with major brand names like Browning/Berretta/etc. for mid-priced selections. If you want to go cheaper and absolutely have to buy a gun right now, look at an older Remington 1100/11-87; but I'm not a fan of semi-auto simply because of the maintenance that's required - and I'm lazy! CZ, Tri-Star, etc. may be good guns for hunting and occasional shooting sports, but in my years experience I see them "traded up" for better guns - almost always at a loss, or worse I see a youth athlete save up a bunch of money for one of these - and then they are upset when they break and you can't get parts or can't find anyone to work on them. Your absolute best advice is to ASK the people that do this a lot - not the guy that did it once or twice or the guy with a thrower in the back yard. Go to a shoot and just look around. More than likely they will be handing you their own guns to let you try and direct you to the best solution. I've seen no problems with the Browning 725's or Cynergy with mechanical triggers, and the older B guns are perfectly fine. I compete regularly and the only brands the serious shooters (typically) use are Browning, Berretta, Cesar Guerrini, Kolar, Krieghoff, Perazzi. The two "B" guns can be had used for the price of a new CZ/Tri-Star/etc. High volume shooting will definitely weed out the bad from the good...

A good all-around gun at a decent price is a used 30"+ Browning or Beretta. They can be rebuilt/repaired at reasonable prices, parts are cheap, and will hold their value or even increase in value. Don't worry too much about POI/POA - a lot of people shoot all three disciplines with the same gun. A "dedicated trap gun" to me is a single barrel gun. POI can be changed with adjustable ribs, etc. as you get more into the sport, but for now stick with the basics. I shoot more trap, so I do have an adjustable rib 34" "dedicated" ("K" gun) for trap, but shoot a very plain, inexpensive Browning O/U 32" for bird hunting, skeet and sporting clays.

Please note that I'm NOT a "gun snob". I just don't want to see people spend money on something that won't last, won't fit, or worse causes them to become discouraged and/or lose money.
    'It's not about the gun - it's about the shooter" is true, but I can tell you that with experience and competition you will want the best equipment you can buy.

thunderchicken

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 26, 2010
    Indianapolis
    Many people really just don't grasp how much is actually involved in shooting a shotgun well. Many just think you point and shoot but that couldn't be farther from the truth.
    A great resource that will give you fantastic information is The Stock Fitters Bible by Roland Oswald.
    Geoexcchange is spot on

thunderchicken

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 26, 2010
    Indianapolis
    I've been coaching youth shotgun teams (trap, skeet, sporting clays) for 25+ years and hold instructor/coach certificates in both trap and skeet. The absolute worst mistake I see is when someone spends good money on a gun that a). doesn't fit the shooter or b). is not good quality. My best advice is to keep using loaners/rentals/borrowed guns until you find the one that fits you and will be reliable and hold it's value. Some of the earlier advice is really good - stick with major brand names like Browning/Berretta/etc. for mid-priced selections. If you want to go cheaper and absolutely have to buy a gun right now, look at an older Remington 1100/11-87; but I'm not a fan of semi-auto simply because of the maintenance that's required - and I'm lazy! CZ, Tri-Star, etc. may be good guns for hunting and occasional shooting sports, but in my years experience I see them "traded up" for better guns - almost always at a loss, or worse I see a youth athlete save up a bunch of money for one of these - and then they are upset when they break and you can't get parts or can't find anyone to work on them. Your absolute best advice is to ASK the people that do this a lot - not the guy that did it once or twice or the guy with a thrower in the back yard. Go to a shoot and just look around. More than likely they will be handing you their own guns to let you try and direct you to the best solution. I've seen no problems with the Browning 725's or Cynergy with mechanical triggers, and the older B guns are perfectly fine. I compete regularly and the only brands the serious shooters (typically) use are Browning, Berretta, Cesar Guerrini, Kolar, Krieghoff, Perazzi. The two "B" guns can be had used for the price of a new CZ/Tri-Star/etc. High volume shooting will definitely weed out the bad from the good...

A good all-around gun at a decent price is a used 30"+ Browning or Beretta. They can be rebuilt/repaired at reasonable prices, parts are cheap, and will hold their value or even increase in value. Don't worry too much about POI/POA - a lot of people shoot all three disciplines with the same gun. A "dedicated trap gun" to me is a single barrel gun. POI can be changed with adjustable ribs, etc. as you get more into the sport, but for now stick with the basics. I shoot more trap, so I do have an adjustable rib 34" "dedicated" ("K" gun) for trap, but shoot a very plain, inexpensive Browning O/U 32" for bird hunting, skeet and sporting clays.

Please note that I'm NOT a "gun snob". I just don't want to see people spend money on something that won't last, won't fit, or worse causes them to become discouraged and/or lose money.
    'It's not about the gun - it's about the shooter" is true, but I can tell you that with experience and competition you will want the best equipment you can buy.
    This is spot on information
    Shooting a "K" gun doesn't make you a "gun snob" it means you appreciate quality. Besides life is too short to shoot ugly guns. Lol
    By the way welcome to the forum

ParkerBoy

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 10, 2015
    50 Lakes
    Page 3 and finally someone mentions "FIT". Thank you tackdriver and geoexchange. The #1 most important thing in instinctive shooting is the fit of your shotgun. I've always shot SXS shotguns and find that the dimensions on them vary much more than the measurements on OU or pump/semi auto guns. So much so, that the sellers of SXS guns usually list stock dimensions when they sell them. Find someone who can help you fit a gun and then take the dimensions of that stock and find what you can with those dimensions.

thunderchicken

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 26, 2010
    Indianapolis
    Page 3 and finally someone mentions "FIT". Thank you tackdriver and geoexchange. The #1 most important thing in instinctive shooting is the fit of your shotgun. I've always shot SXS shotguns and find that the dimensions on them vary much more than the measurements on OU or pump/semi auto guns. So much so, that the sellers of SXS guns usually list stock dimensions when they sell them. Find someone who can help you fit a gun and then take the dimensions of that stock and find what you can with those dimensions.
    Well actually on page 1 (post 16), I mentioned the importance of fit so it didn't actually take 3 pages. But, absolutely true fit is the single most important thing to shooting a shotgun well.
    For a newbie, it's not really necessary to go have an actual stock fitter measure and taylor fit a stock. The cost involved with a custom stock is significant. Once the length of pull that the shooter is most comfortable with is determined, an adjustable comb and butt plate will give all the adjustment needed. But, it does take someone with a keen eye and understanding to make the right adjustments. And for crying out loud once it is fit to you, leave it alone. If you miss a few targets it probably isn't because you need to adjust the stock.
    A lot of classic SxS shotguns have a lot of drop at comb and heel. They were designed to be shot differently than most modern shotguns. Many people struggle to shoot a SxS well. I grew up shooting one so I'm decent with it. A couple guys at the club, kinda dig it when I bring out the SxS to shoot trap.

Welcome to the forum

Yup!

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 7, 2011

Thank you for the detailed reply. Much appreciated.

98cirrus

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 4, 2009
    Goshen
    Thunderchicken and Twangbanger and the gang just about have all the bases covered. I agree about the Turkish guns. We have a few at the club I frequent, and the guys complain about them. The owner of the club discreetly steers the "high round count" guys away from the Turkish guns. I'd like to suggest the new latest generation of Winchester 101 CLAYS 32". I have had about 60 trips around the sporting clays ranges over the last year or so with positive results. I added a 6 ounce lead weight under the recoil pad, and 4 ounces of lead strips under the forend, about a month ago. That is working out well. These are made in Belgium. (It wouldn't surprise me if they make them in the same plant with the Brownings. Some INGO patron out there might know for sure.) The receiver has been altered/updated so the barrels sit lower in the receiver. The barrels are back bored too, and they come with 3 or 4 high quality extended choke tubes. Incidentally I use I/C and I/C almost exclusively. The kicker is the wood work is very very nice. I heard a rumor that it is French walnut. These sell for a little less than the guns recommended earlier. Some people may not like that they are scroll engraved rather than hand engraved, but it is tastefully done. Once in a while someone asks me if the gun recoils a lot? There was apparently some gun writer way back when, who liked to complain about recoil on the 101's. This is not the case with this new model. Actually come to think of it, I have an old 101 I use as a loaner and never noticed an inordinante amount of recoil on that gun. In summary, I don't hear of too many guys who go out and spend 3-5 k on a gun after their first or second round of clays. This would be a pretty nice starter gun for just about anyone, for 1800 to 2200$.

John Trap

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 6, 2022
    Chicagoland
    I don't know that I'd buy anything right away. If it's possible, I would go to the range, and get to know some of the shooters, and ask them about their guns. Most shooters will let you try their shotgun out, and the experience will give you an idea of what you might like. I don't know where you're located at, but the clubs that I shoot at in northwest indiana, are always looking for new shooters. And a great way to strike up a conversation, is to ask someone about what they're shooting.
    If you are left eye dominate, and shoot right handed (or vice-versa) they make sight "blinders" that attach to the front of the rib, that will block the vision of the dominate eye.

Good luck!

chef1231

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Apr 23, 2014
    NWI
    I have a F-16 and really like it. I first bought a CZ for like a grand just to see how I was going to like the over under. Once I did, I sold it to another member here and bought the F-16 Blaser

cg21

Master
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    May 5, 2012
    Wow good info in here thinking I need to find a club near me to practice so I can actually hit those little grey missiles in September

chef1231

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Apr 23, 2014
    NWI
    Wow good info in here thinking I need to find a club near me to practice so I can actually hit those little grey missiles in September
    Not sure where you are at but Deer Creek in Three Oaks Michigan is great.. 3 different 12 station tracks from easy, med, and hard. Or if you are me hard, harder, and WTF

TheJoker

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 9, 2010
    Shelby County
    I too have had my eye on giving Sporting Clays a try. I really appreciate finding this thread with a bunch of good info.

For my first novice move, I already bought a shotgun. I have really wanted an older Browning Auto 5 for years. But, I realized that having a fixed choke was probably not the best choice. Last month, I bought a Browning Silver Hunter in 12ga 2 3/4 or 3 inch chamber. I hope it is a choice I can live with. It seems to be a beautiful gun, 28" barrel with full, mod and improved cylinder choke set.

I can't wait to give it a try!

thunderchicken

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 26, 2010
    Indianapolis
    I too have had my eye on giving Sporting Clays a try. I really appreciate finding this thread with a bunch of good info.

For my first novice move, I already bought a shotgun. I have really wanted an older Browning Auto 5 for years. But, I realized that having a fixed choke was probably not the best choice. Last month, I bought a Browning Silver Hunter in 12ga 2 3/4 or 3 inch chamber. I hope it is a choice I can live with. It seems to be a beautiful gun, 28" barrel with full, mod and improved cylinder choke set.

I can't wait to give it a try!
    The Silver Hunter will serve the purpose so long as it fits you and you do your part.
    Depending on what you mean by "older" Auto-5, many from at least the late '80s- '90s came with interchangeable chokes.

Top Bottom