• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    Noticed in the paper that the race horse breeders were whining about a decrease in thier state subsidy. The sport of kings clearly has very good lobbiests in the Simon tower.

ljadayton

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 29, 2008
    SW Indy
    Yeah. I have been on some horse farms and just can't imagine how these folks can talk about financial hardship. Simply crazy

Have you seen the price on these horses? Yes, they make a lot of money but it IS expensive to properly care for them also. Price hay, grain, supplements, vet expenses, salary for grooms, exercise riders, trainers, jockeys, etc., price of fuel to pony the ponies (ha) to the track, entry fees, mortgage on property, taxes, insurance (on the property AND on the horses) etc. It's not cheap. Most of these people are in debt up to their eyeballs over these horses.

Love the 1911

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 20, 2010
    Have you seen the price on these horses? Yes, they make a lot of money but it IS expensive to properly care for them also. Price hay, grain, supplements, vet expenses, salary for grooms, exercise riders, trainers, jockeys, etc., price of fuel to pony the ponies (ha) to the track, entry fees, mortgage on property, taxes, insurance (on the property AND on the horses) etc. It's not cheap. Most of these people are in debt up to their eyeballs over these horses.

I've thought about trying to raise and train horses when we move out to some land that we recently purchased. However, I realize this would only be a hobby, not a job/investment. As a hobby, I realize that another hobby would need to give up some time and money to make this work and I'm not ready to make that commitment.

I can understand the point of their argument though. I am a sports fan, not a horse fan (if there is such a thing), and our taxes go to support professional athletes that do nothing more than entertain us. So why stop with supporting only human athletes? I would be more than happy to pull all funding from all of them. It's not like my tax bill gets me a free ticket to a Colts game, and I sure can't afford to go on my own (again, priorities and hobbies). Aren't entitlements great?

ljadayton

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 29, 2008
    SW Indy
    I've thought about trying to raise and train horses when we move out to some land that we recently purchased. However, I realize this would only be a hobby, not a job/investment. As a hobby, I realize that another hobby would need to give up some time and money to make this work and I'm not ready to make that commitment.

I can understand the point of their argument though. I am a sports fan, not a horse fan (if there is such a thing), and our taxes go to support professional athletes that do nothing more than entertain us. So why stop with supporting only human athletes? I would be more than happy to pull all funding from all of them. It's not like my tax bill gets me a free ticket to a Colts game, and I sure can't afford to go on my own (again, priorities and hobbies). Aren't entitlements great?

We had horses when I was in high school and they're great. But it is extremely hard to actually make money at raising horses. Breaking even is more realistic but who worries about breaking even with a hobby? I'd say go for it and have fun. If I was going to do it I'd buy registered purebred stock. Babies are more marketable when they're registered

irishfan

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 30, 2009
    in your head
    We had horses when I was in high school and they're great. But it is extremely hard to actually make money at raising horses. Breaking even is more realistic but who worries about breaking even with a hobby? I'd say go for it and have fun. If I was going to do it I'd buy registered purebred stock. Babies are more marketable when they're registered

I think that is a good reason why you see the same owners and trainers at the Kentucky Derby every year. Also, they make a lot of their money in stud fees after their superstar wins the big race.

ljadayton

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 29, 2008
    SW Indy
    I think that is a good reason why you see the same owners and trainers at the Kentucky Derby every year. Also, they make a lot of their money in stud fees after their superstar wins the big race.

This is true. Fact is that if someone is looking at good crosses, bloodline wise, instead of who the big star is, they can find nice studs a LOT cheaper. After all, having a great racehorse as a sire doesn't guarantee the foal will be worth anything on the track. Secretariat is a perfect example

irishfan

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 30, 2009
    in your head
    This is true. Fact is that if someone is looking at good crosses, bloodline wise, instead of who the big star is, they can find nice studs a LOT cheaper. After all, having a great racehorse as a sire doesn't guarantee the foal will be worth anything on the track. Secretariat is a perfect example

:lmfao:

In all seriousness it does get ridiculous. Having someone pay several hundred thousand for a stud fee is just crazy.

ljadayton

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 29, 2008
    SW Indy
    :lmfao:

In all seriousness it does get ridiculous. Having someone pay several hundred thousand for a stud fee is just crazy.

Mr Prospector's stud fee, right before he died, was well over that, with NO guarantee of a live foal. But a live foal would be worth a pretty penny.

Ashkelon

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 11, 2009
    changes by the minute
    This is ridiculous. I have four horses now and they are simply eating machines. Yes, believe me I know when I bale our alfalfa fields how much these horses require or when its 10 degrees and I gotta put out a round bale or paying the farrier etc etc etc. Horses are a hobby to be engaged in. --- Hence the sport of kings moniker.

Those that are raising and breeding thoroughbreds etc are merely sucking at the teat of public subsidy in order to get the fat cable tv watching public something to bet on.

Their industry has been publicly subsidized in Indiana. No different than EBT cards and free lunches. They just drive 100 grand semis instead of beat up cadillacs.

Love the 1911

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 20, 2010
    This is ridiculous. I have four horses now and they are simply eating machines. Yes, believe me I know when I bale our alfalfa fields how much these horses require or when its 10 degrees and I gotta put out a round bale or paying the farrier etc etc etc. Horses are a hobby to be engaged in. --- Hence the sport of kings moniker.

Those that are raising and breeding thoroughbreds etc are merely sucking at the teat of public subsidy in order to get the fat cable tv watching public something to bet on.

Their industry has been publicly subsidized in Indiana. No different than EBT cards and free lunches. They just drive 100 grand semis instead of beat up cadillacs.

Wow. Stereotype anyone?

:laugh:

jsharmon7

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    119   0   0
    Nov 24, 2008
    Freedonia

I take offense to that!

I don't watch cable tv. :)

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    Know how to make a little bit of money in horses?

Start with a LOT of money...

I know where there's a 17y.o. gelded Appaloosa ~ 15h, well well well broken if someone wants to [STRIKE]steal[/STRIKE], er, have him...

:n00b:

Top Bottom