• ...and so much more!
  • wtburnette

WT(aF)
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    45   0   0
    Nov 11, 2013
    SW side of Indy
    I've seen this argument throughout this thread and the marijuana legalization thread(s), but what about people that just enjoy the physical "buzz", whether that's from having a few beers or smoking a little weed or whatever? Not talking about "escaping" anything. Just enjoying the physical feeling? Is that so wrong? Also I'm not talking about doing it at work or getting out and driving while doing so. That's clearly wrong. Talking about the person that's at home, after work or on the weekend, not going anywhere. :dunno:

IMO nothing wrong with the occasional beer/drink of your choice and an occasional toke on a blunt is along the same lines. The problem, like with anything, is that some people can't do just a little of something recreationally. Too many people have no self control whatsoever. Yes, different when talking about certain drugs that hook you very easily, but if these are street drugs why try them at all, ever? People just baffle me.

Hoosierdood

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 2, 2010
    North of you
    I've seen this argument throughout this thread and the marijuana legalization thread(s), but what about people that just enjoy the physical "buzz", whether that's from having a few beers or smoking a little weed or whatever? Not talking about "escaping" anything. Just enjoying the physical feeling? Is that so wrong? Also I'm not talking about doing it at work or getting out and driving while doing so. That's clearly wrong. Talking about the person that's at home, after work or on the weekend, not going anywhere. :dunno:
    That’s not what’s being discussed here. I don’t think the rise in overdoses stems from casual users. I think it is the result of people trying to find ways to dull their senses and escape reality.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    That’s not what’s being discussed here. I don’t think the rise in overdoses stems from casual users. I think it is the result of people trying to find ways to dull their senses and escape reality.
    Oh I know, but many don't make the distinction between the two. Several folks here have said that anything that alters your mental state is wrong, full stop. They're entitled to their opinions of course, but I just happen to disagree with that outlook.

As I said earlier, I think the rise in OD's is a direct result of the crackdown on "the opioid crisis", and I stand by that.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    I was a child of the 70's. I did all kinds of stuff. Hallucinogens were my favorites, but I wasn't trying to "escape" reality. I just liked seeing the stucco walls in the bathroom "drip" or patterns in the rug "move". :): I was probably the nerdiest drug user ever. I would often check my pulse and note my physical feelings, etc..

In fact, my final paper in a college English composition course (at Purdue) was about my first acid trip. I got an A. The professor said it was one of the most objective papers he'd ever read on the subject. I didn't make any outlandish claims about "expanding my mind", "seeing God", or "understanding the universe" or whatever. I simply described how it made me feel, and how things looked to me while under the influence.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    IMO nothing wrong with the occasional beer/drink of your choice and an occasional toke on a blunt is along the same lines. The problem, like with anything, is that some people can't do just a little of something recreationally. Too many people have no self control whatsoever. Yes, different when talking about certain drugs that hook you very easily, but if these are street drugs why try them at all, ever? People just baffle me.
    It's more than just having (or not having) self control. Addicts (whether it's alcohol, drugs, cigarettes or gambling) have brains that are just wired differently than normal people. When people say addiction is a disease, they're not really wrong. Think of it like an allergy. I can get stung by a bee and it hurts a little, but it's not a big deal. Other people can get stung by a bee and go into anaphylactic shock and die without intervention. Addiction isn't all that different.

stocknup

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 28, 2011
    Monrovia area
    Oh I know, but many don't make the distinction between the two. Several folks here have said that anything that alters your mental state is wrong, full stop. They're entitled to their opinions of course, but I just happen to disagree with that outlook.

As I said earlier, I think the rise in OD's is a direct result of the crackdown on "the opioid crisis", and I stand by that.
    I agree here . In know a few people who got "Hooked" on prescription pain meds , then the Crackdown .
    They were in panic mode , most transitioned into CBD oil with pretty good results maybe along with a bit of Alcohol .
    I`m sure a few looked into alternative options .

Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central
    Intoxication nation.

We have allowed the daily buzz to become the answer to dealing with life's routine challenges.

Maybe one day, we as a society will learn that chemical attitude adjustment is a poor idea?

In the meantime, this will get worse before it gets better. "Legal marijuana" is an indicator of where we are on this. Hang on for the ride...

Just legalize it all and be done with it! This type of issue is once again a negative repercussion of making the real thing illegal. Nobody wanted meth, it became popular because of restrictions on the drugs people wanted. Nobody wanted bathtub gin either, it was a product of convenience in the face of restrictions. There is no way on earth to stop addicts, it is an unfortunate truth that a certain percentage of us will engage in addictive behavior. I have read 10% or so. I am sorry for those of us with loved ones battling this but making it illegal has not stopped a thing and I believe made things worse, as evidenced by this fentanyl situation…

ancjr

1 Kings 18:17-18 KJV
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 20, 2021
    Washington County
    I see people walking along the roads that look like they've been walking for a couple of years. Long matted hair and beards, tattered clothes... I called the police when there was one near here that was in the middle of the road and the dispatch informed me that being a pedestrian is legal in the US. So, I learned something. :rolleyes:

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    I see people walking along the roads that look like they've been walking for a couple of years. Long matted hair and beards, tattered clothes... I called the police when there was one near here that was in the middle of the road and the dispatch informed me that being a pedestrian is legal in the US. So, I learned something. :rolleyes:
    Unless he was actively committing a crime, they were right. I saw a kid skateboarding down the middle of a busy road against traffic when I was on my way to the grocery store tonight. I thought it was stupid. I'm pretty sure that if I called the cops about it, they would have laughed at me.

ancjr

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 20, 2021
    Washington County
    Unless he was actively committing a crime, they were right. I saw a kid skateboarding down the middle of a busy road against traffic when I was on my way to the grocery store tonight. I thought it was stupid. I'm pretty sure that if I called the cops about it, they would have laughed at me.

Back in the good old days, before there was a component actively seeking to dismantle the country and cheering its ruin at every opportunity, there were laws against vagrancy and trespassing that were taken seriously.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    Back in the good old days, before there was a component actively seeking to dismantle the country and cheering its ruin at every opportunity, there were laws against vagrancy and trespassing that were taken seriously.
    Was he trespassing though? He was walking down a public road according to you. And do you know that he was a vagrant? The definition of vagrant used to be "having no money and no means of support" or something like that. With welfare, many of these people now have a "means of support".

ancjr

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 20, 2021
    Washington County
    Was he trespassing though? He was walking down a public road according to you. And do you know that he was a vagrant? The definition of vagrant used to be "having no money and no means of support" or something like that. With welfare, many of these people now have a "means of support".

I know why they're here. And I know the government subsidizes it.

BigRed

Banned More Than You
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 29, 2017
    1,000 yards out
    I hate to say it, but I don't think it'll get better any time soon. The Left is doing their best to destroy this country and with runaway inflation, supply chain issues, the continuing boogeyman of COVID and the culture wars, so certain people will turn to drugs to cope and inevitably need your services... :(

Along with a completely open southern border.

rudyman

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 7, 2009
    dekalb co.
    CHINA CHINA CHINA. It's a payback for the opium wars. They remember. It also weakens us as a nation at a personal level. It breaks the family unit and the social fabric of the community. Overload the medical system.Had a discussion with a Ft. Wayne fire captain about junkie calls and the time spent and resources used. Asked if they had legit calls come in while dealing with overdosed people. He said way to often..

wtburnette

WT(aF)
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    45   0   0
    Nov 11, 2013
    SW side of Indy
    It's more than just having (or not having) self control. Addicts (whether it's alcohol, drugs, cigarettes or gambling) have brains that are just wired differently than normal people. When people say addiction is a disease, they're not really wrong. Think of it like an allergy. I can get stung by a bee and it hurts a little, but it's not a big deal. Other people can get stung by a bee and go into anaphylactic shock and die without intervention. Addiction isn't all that different.

My theory on this is that there are certain people who are addicts and there are certain people who say they are addicts to cover the fact that they have no self control and don't want it. I understand certain drugs are very addicting and I'm not talking about that. I'm talking about the people using it as an excuse. I know there are people like that as I've met some. I don't know how many are in each group, but I feel like the term addict is too broad and covers people that could have self control, but don't want to have self control.

Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Danville
    Anyone else seeing more people really effed up or overdosing lately? I'm starting to wonder if theres some bad (like worse than normal) dope going around I've dealt with 3 ODs in less than a week and im seeing more people walking around town that look like extras from the walking dead I keep narcan handy in my vehicle and office and went through my whole stash and had to call the peer support group in town to get a whole sack of extras. One of the ODs was the worst (and honestly mad me laugh the most as bad as that sounds) I've ever dealt with. The guy made me really fight to keep him alive then decided to rise from the dead and speak jibberish to the emts. I'm getting really burnt out and have been on edge all week.
    Last fall I was preparing to give CPR to a guy on our school campus when paramedics arrived with Narcan and revived him. We've seen more and more meth and heroine addicts crossing back and forth across our campus over the last couple years. We had one get in the entry way one time while he was halucinating. Our school resource officer subdued and arrested him. (He never got past the main office security doors into the building.)

I've also had a friend lose a son to an overdose. He had cleaned up but fell off the wagon and went right to the dosage where he left off when a full time addict. Their bodies can't handle that. They build tolerance, quit, then go back to the dose they had worked their way up to. Then they die. It is a horrible and sad thing.

But I've seen more and more of it. I've expected this with the de-criminalization and lighter penalties for drug users combined with all the government payments going out to people, so I'm not shocked.

CHCRandy

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 16, 2013
    Hendricks County
    Something I have always found intriguing.....is when you start thinking how many people are addicts, and think it is ok to be, since the Doctor is prescribing them. I never have understood that. The little old lady in church ranting about potheads, then later says she takes valium and percocet to cope with life.....and has to have them. One of my favorites is Form 4473, unlawful addict must be different then a lawful addict......never have understood that.

wtburnette

WT(aF)
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    45   0   0
    Nov 11, 2013
    SW side of Indy
    Something I have always found intriguing.....is when you start thinking how many people are addicts, and think it is ok to be, since the Doctor is prescribing them. I never have understood that. The little old lady in church ranting about potheads, then later says she takes valium and percocet to cope with life.....and has to have them. One of my favorites is Form 4473, unlawful addict must be different then a lawful addict......never have understood that.

I have more of a problem with people who rail against allowing pot, but will drink. Aside from the ignorant federal laws on the matter, smoking pot and drinking are quite similar. If you use either lightly, or recreationally, there's no issue. There's only an issue when you do it so heavily that you don't want to do anything else, or do it while driving or working.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    We have SO many examples normalizing daily intoxication of some sort, just to cope with life.

We NEED to have many more examples of peers showing us that life is very cool in itself.

Relish it, sober... ;)

Top Bottom