Speeding ticket deferral program worth it?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • waloidian

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    Bloomingtonian
    I got a 14 over speeding ticket from State police, $150. The Court says that I am approved to do their Deferral program, but its $190. Ive done this in the past for a stop sign violation and another speeding ticket, but I cant be sure that the ins company ever saw these, or if they are on my record. So basically im wondering if these are worth doing? IN says that the violation will stay on my record for 2 years, and I dont plan on changing INS companies, so I doubt the ins company will review my record. If you have gotten speeding tickets, has your ins premium gone up?

libertybear

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 26, 2010
    Morristown
    I would say it depends a lot on your sex and your age. If you are a younger driver (esp. male) then I would do a deferral to keep your insurance from going any higher than it already is. If you are more seasoned at least 25 more toward 30 and up and don't anticipate any more violations let it ride.

Your insurance will see it if its on your record they review every so often.

rmabrey

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 27, 2009
    I called my insurance agent about a year ago cause I was caught doing 40 in a 30. The ticket was $100 and deferral was $250 (IIRC). She told me to pay the ticket that they probably wouldn't find out about it unless I were in a wreck and they had to dig deeper. This was with state farm, they have yet to find out

Indybeer

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 16, 2009
    Danville
    By signing the deferral you are agreeing that you will not receive any more Infractions during the agreement period.

If your driving record remains clear after the agreement period, your ticket will then be dismissed.

If you receive another infraction, your ticket will be re-activated and you will then be liable for the original fee, and will receive points on your license. The agreement period lasts twelve months.

waloidian

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    Bloomingtonian
    thx for the info folks. this deferral happens to be the 6 month variety. Im thinking to save the $40 bucks and just pay the ticket at this point.

PatriotPride

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 18, 2010
    Valley Forge, PA
    I got a ticket last July in Valpo. My first. The officer caught me going 68 in a 45. He was cool and since I was respectful he dropped it down to 10 over. I paid the deferral since I'm 21 and I'm all but certain that my insurance would bend me over and take me to town without the courtesy of lube if they found out. I just have to make it another 2 months without another ticket and I'm good to go.

shibumiseeker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Nov 11, 2009
    near Bedford on a whole lot of land.
    heres a little secret on saving money and not getting it on your record.....DON'T SPEED!!!

I used to think that too. Then the last two speeding tickets I got (one recently, one about five years ago) I wasn't speeding. On the first one I wasn't speeding at all, as verified by my GPS unit as well as speedo. On my last one I was going maybe 3-4mph over the speed limit but radar picked up the vehicle behind me and the cop wrote me for 15 over.

I'll accept that the last one I was speeding even if not the amount ticketed, but the first one I was not at all. Just because you don't speed doesn't mean you won't get a ticket. My previous ticket that I was actually speeding and ticketed for that speed was almost 15 years previous.

tyler34

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 2, 2008
    bloomington
    I used to think that too. Then the last two speeding tickets I got (one recently, one about five years ago) I wasn't speeding. On the first one I wasn't speeding at all, as verified by my GPS unit as well as speedo. On my last one I was going maybe 3-4mph over the speed limit but radar picked up the vehicle behind me and the cop wrote me for 15 over.

I'll accept that the last one I was speeding even if not the amount ticketed, but the first one I was not at all. Just because you don't speed doesn't mean you won't get a ticket. My previous ticket that I was actually speeding and ticketed for that speed was almost 15 years previous.

well I'm sure we can agree that the chances tremendously decrease if you don't speed.;)

IndyBeerman

Was a real life Beerman.....
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jun 2, 2008
    Plainfield
    thx for the info folks. this deferral happens to be the 6 month variety. Im thinking to save the $40 bucks and just pay the ticket at this point.

NO!

Don't save the $40.00 pay the deferral and you'll save at least minimum 10 x's that amount because I would bet you the $40.00 your insurance company will raise your rates substantially.

Besides if you do the deferral it will not even show up on a status report when your insurance company does a records check, which they do on a yearly basis to determine if you are zapped for a rate increase.

shibumiseeker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Nov 11, 2009
    well I'm sure we can agree that the chances tremendously decrease if you don't speed.;)

That I will agree with. Having a GF who was a State Trooper I can attest that while there are no such things as quotas, there are such things as being written up for not issuing enough citations and having sarge ride along with you for a while to ensure you are issuing enough of them :xmad:

I have no issues with citations being issued for reckless behavior, but I do have issues with selective enforcement and legalized highway robbery.

longbow

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    south central IN
    First- Don't speed....
    second-take the program, you will save money from insurance, and drive slow for at least 6 months.

Some company's check mvr's 2 times per year.

longbow

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    south central IN
    You know you can issue tickets to the police............I've done it twice and it reminds them that we also have the power......

One officer was doing 85 and the other was doing over 75. One got two weeks no pay and the other got one week no pay. Both had formal letters placed in the employee file.

Do you think they learned?

shibumiseeker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Nov 11, 2009
    You know you can issue tickets to the police............I've done it twice and it reminds them that we also have the power......

One officer was doing 85 and the other was doing over 75. One got two weeks no pay and the other got one week no pay. Both had formal letters placed in the employee file.

Do you think they learned?

:popcorn: I call in complaints when I see officers speeding excessively without lights and sirens. They have to follow the law as well as I do, and that law also includes what emergency vehicles are allowed to do and not do. If they were enroute to a legitimate claim then no harm no foul; there were a number of times I asked my driver to get us to the hospital quickly but not run LAS to keep patient anxiety down. If they were just abusing the power then they need to be reminded that they are being watched by the citizenry. And as my GF can attest, the brass does take citizen complaints seriously.

I'm not sure I want to make friends by actually issuing a citation though :D

longbow

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    south central IN
    :popcorn: I call in complaints when I see officers speeding excessively without lights and sirens. They have to follow the law as well as I do, and that law also includes what emergency vehicles are allowed to do and not do. If they were enroute to a legitimate claim then no harm no foul; there were a number of times I asked my driver to get us to the hospital quickly but not run LAS to keep patient anxiety down. If they were just abusing the power then they need to be reminded that they are being watched by the citizenry. And as my GF can attest, the brass does take citizen complaints seriously.

I'm not sure I want to make friends by actually issuing a citation though :D

I use the word citation when I make the complaint. Both times, I had several converstions with the State Police HQ about what I was reporting.

They take it very seriously.......Two weeks pay taken away for 85 mph driving is a serious fine and that trooper learned alot that day.

Top Bottom