• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • blazer

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 23, 2009
    South Bend
    Looked at a fr-8 the other day for $185. It is in good condition but the Parkerizing has a brown tint. Is that a fair price? I will try to get a picture of it.

steif

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    80   0   0
    Feb 8, 2009
    fr-8

Hi,
    I would think it was a fair buy, if the bore looks good it would probably be a good buy if you like the finish on it. I see them over $200 quite a bit.

There is a ongoing debate about the safety of this type of rifle with .308 commercial ammo, I only use 7.62 nato ammo in mine, but that's just me.
    by the way, 7.62 ammo and .308 isn't exactly the same, nato rounds are about 50,000psi max, and .308 is up to 62,000psi max. The older fr-7's are on mauser 93 actions and may be too weak for the hotter 308 loads, the fr8's are spanish 43 actions which are mauser 98 type and able to handle more pressure.

Whether you agree or not with this debate is up to the individual owner, I don't take a chance, but I just like shooting targets so ball ammo is fine for me.

townmarshal

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    48   0   0
    May 7, 2008
    indy
    Had one several years ago and it handled 308 mid range handloads just fine. It did quite well with bullet weight of 150gr. The one problem encountered was severe cracks in the stock in the tang area. This would show after fewer than 10 shots. After the supplier replaced the stock three times for this problem I discovered the inlet area in the stock for the recoil lug was much wider than the width of the recoil lug. This threw the full force of the recoil against the tang. Shimming the inletted area for a tight lug fit fixed that problem. All that said, I agree $185 is a good price. I sold mine @ the Indy 1500 seven years ago for more than that.

Top Bottom