• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • IndyIN

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 98.3%
    58   1   0
    Nov 8, 2010
    Texas
    If any of you are following the Starship test flights, SN9 launched this afternoon. I love the iterative prototype process they are using.

SN9 didn't stick its landing today, but that was not the goal for this flight. Based on the Falcon rockets' success, they will be landing the grain silo anywhere they want once they fully focus on it.

indykid

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 27, 2008
    Westfield
    Unfortunately this is the second landing oops in the last month or so. Takeoffs are optional, landing is mandatory.

And they didn't get authorization for this launch which could get more expensive.

jwamplerusa

High drag, low speed...
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 21, 2018
    Boone County
    Yes the FAA are being good little professional bureaucrats and being an impediment to progress. I'm sure SpaceX didn't follow the latest changed Order guidance from the office of commercial spaceflight...

That missing 8400.8 form probably made the entire operation a safety hazard. (Add purple as needed)

Biggredchev

Just some guy
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 16, 2017
    Pretty much Michigan.
    If any of you are following the Starship test flights, SN9 launched this afternoon. I love the iterative prototype process they are using.

SN9 didn't stick its landing today, but that was not the goal for this flight. Based on the Falcon rockets' success, they will be landing the grain silo anywhere they want once they fully focus on it.

I was watching the launch on one of my monitors and programming a mold on the other. I had to leave before it landed, got busy and forgot to check up and see how the landing went. That rocket cam or whatever it was that showed the actual thrusters? move around freakin sweet while it lasted.

IndyIN

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 98.3%
    58   1   0
    Nov 8, 2010
    Texas
    I’m not sure that I’m tracking the oops part of your comment. Landing the rocket was not part of this or the past test protocol. The past two test flights were to test the flap system and gather data on horizontal stability and the transition from vertical to horizontal and back to vertical. Landing it would have been really cool, though!

I didn't see that they violated the permit height ceiling this time, but they certainly did with the last prototype. That isn't ok, and hopefully, they didn't do it again. Push boundaries, but they have to play by those safety rules.

indykid

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 27, 2008
    Westfield
    I’m not sure that I’m tracking the oops part of your comment. Landing the rocket was not part of this or the past test protocol. The past two test flights were to test the flap system and gather data on horizontal stability and the transition from vertical to horizontal and back to vertical. Landing it would have been really cool, though!

I didn't see that they violated the permit height ceiling this time, but they certainly did with the last prototype. That isn't ok, and hopefully, they didn't do it again. Push boundaries, but they have to play by those safety rules.
    So what you are saying is that when Chuck Yeager broke the sound barrier, a safe landing wasn't needed since the flight was just to break the sound barrier? :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

smokingman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 11, 2008
    Indiana
    This is an older thread,but more relevant than ever.
    The Starship is currently set to launch on 4/20/2023 for the first time.
    It is the largest and most powerful rocket ever built. I will likely be taking a trip to watch the launch(with daughter,her husband,and grandchildren in tow),it could very well be a historic moment for the future of humans in space. I watched spaceship one live,this time I would like to actually be there.

What an amazing time to be alive.

The date of launch is not set in stone,so planning ahead to be flexible enough to get there on the correct date.

jwamplerusa

High drag, low speed...
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 21, 2018
    Boone County
    This is an older thread,but more relevant than ever.
    The Starship is currently set to launch on 4/20/2023 for the first time.
    It is the largest and most powerful rocket ever built. I will likely be taking a trip to watch the launch(with daughter,her husband,and grandchildren in tow),it could very well be a historic moment for the future of humans in space. I watched spaceship one live,this time I would like to actually be there.

What an amazing time to be alive.

The date of launch is not set in stone,so planning ahead to be flexible enough to get there on the correct date.

You need to give INGO play by plays if you are there!

smokingman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 11, 2008
    Indiana
    We expect live video…
    Probably not. It may be possible via a phone though. I am not sure on the electronic rules during a launch or if cell signal will be good enough.
    I am looking into this question,but thus far have no answer. I will likely call them Monday and learn what is likely the case and allowed during a launch.

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Hondolane
    Top Bottom