• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Sig

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 18, 2011
    Riddle me this
    How is it that South Carolina CCW holders are given "reciprocity" in states such as Indiana, yet South Carolina does not provide the same reciprocity?

Why does Indiana recognize South Carolina but South Carolina does not recognize Indiana? Seems counter to reciprocity. This lack of reciprocity extends far beyond just Indiana but I do not have the time right now to show more similar examples.

Background
    Just moved here from another state and gave up my CCW from that state, where reciprocity with South Carolina was recognized. It strikes me as odd that South Carolina seems to recognize only a handful of other states and only if a resident. South Carolina specifically does not recognize other states non-resident CCW's.

South Carolina recognizes Resident permits from Alaska, Arizona, Arkansas, Florida, Kansas, Kentucky, Louisiana, Michigan, Missouri, North Carolina, Oklahoma, Ohio, Tennessee, Texas, Virginia, West Virginia

Tripp11

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 3, 2010
    Fishers, IN
    As others have already stated, SC has a classroom phase and a live fire range phase to their training requirement. Thus, the fine folks from SC believe that since they have such a training requirement that they won't accept any other states who do not have any training requirement.

I travel to SC 4-5 times per year, and I'm just as irritated as others about it. The only work around I've found is to own property in SC where you pay property tax. This would enable you to apply for a SC permit, take their silly training class, and be issued a permit.

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    As others have already stated, SC has a classroom phase and a live fire range phase to their training requirement. Thus, the fine folks from SC believe that since they have such a training requirement that they won't accept any other states who do not have any training requirement.

I travel to SC 4-5 times per year, and I'm just as irritated as others about it. The only work around I've found is to own property in SC where you pay property tax. This would enable you to apply for a SC permit, take their silly training class, and be issued a permit.

another work-around could either be the FL, UT, or PA non-resident carry permits/licenses.

-j-

CountryBoy19

Grandmaster
    Rating - 91.7%
    11   1   0
    Nov 10, 2008
    Bedford, IN
    Why do we honor theirs and they don't honor ours? It's really simple.

Indiana honors ALL permits/licenses/etc from ANY state.

SC likely doesn't honor IN because of the lack of a training requirement.

opus1776

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 28, 2008
    another work-around could either be the FL, UT, or PA non-resident carry permits/licenses.

-j-

Nope. Not going to work. SC only recognizes RESIDENT permits/licenses. :(

======================================
    "Nothing tastes as good as skinny feels" K. Moss

You can NEVER be too rich or too thin.

Life is not a journey, but a series of unplanned detours...

Perfection: is not a goal---it's a demanded expectation.

Hoosierdood

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 2, 2010
    North of you
    Indiana does not necessarily have reciprocity as you may view it. Indiana honors ALL permits from all states, territories and foreign countries. Some states require a formal agreement (like SC), and that agreement is based on the reciprocal state having similar training and licensing requirements. As others have mentioned, Indiana has no training requirement. Also, Indiana will issue a license to 18 year olds, where most other states require you to be 21.

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008

JCAJR30

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 10, 2010
    Union County
    Keep an eye on "H.R.822: National Right-to-Carry Reciprocity Act of 2011" Hopefully we'll be able to carry across any state line that honors LTCH soon.

Bill of Rights

Cogito, ergo porto.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Apr 26, 2008
    Where's the bacon?
    Why do we recognize those places that do not recognize our LTCH? Simple. We respect (mostly) the right. They do not. Two wrongs do not make a "right". (and it's not reciprocity, which is a mutual agreement... it's recognition, which is unilateral. The 26 other states that recognize our LTCH have simply added a unilateral recognition of that item.)

As for why our LTCH is not recognized in the other 23 states, I recently examined this in depth here. Give it a read-through and if you still have questions, I'll do my best to answer them. :)

Blessings,
    Bill

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    How is it that South Carolina CCW holders are given "reciprocity" in states such as Indiana, yet South Carolina does not provide the same reciprocity?

South Carolina licenses are recognized. Reciprocity is used overbroadly in every day discussions in the gun culture.

RECIPROCITY | Definition of RECIPROCITY (Black's Law Dictionary)

We recognize South Carolina because Indiana recognizes the carry licenses of all states and foreign countries.

IC 35-47-2-21

Recognition of retail dealers' licenses and licenses to carry handguns issued by other states

Sec. 21. (a) Retail dealers' licenses issued by other states or foreign countries will not be recognized in Indiana except for sales at wholesale.
    (b) Licenses to carry handguns, issued by other states or foreign countries, will be recognized according to the terms thereof but only while the holders are not residents of Indiana.

As added by P.L.311-1983, SEC.32

Top Bottom