• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • mercop

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 21, 2008
    PA
    I break edged weapon training into two areas, spontaneous edged weapon attack defense and using a knife to defend yourself. There are three parts to an attack, accessing, deployed and attacking. Knowing the preparatory movements required to draw a weapon are important. That can allow you to foul the draw and make it possible for you to never have to defend against the blade. Most robberies and things of that nature will have you facing a deployed weapon meaning the guy will only threaten and menace you with it. The knife being a contact distance weapon requires you to be within contact distance using your open hands or other tool to reach your attacker. If the knife is only deployed you have little to work with and will likely only result in you getting cut. Attacking is the BG actually trying to cut or stab you. In response to this-
    Move off center
    Try not to get cut
    Get cut as little as possible
    Control the weapon hand and do violence upon them until they are no longer a threat

Research shows that the last few wounds are the ones that prove fatal. This means that you need to do whatever it takes to end it as fast as possible. I believe that your initial response to a edged weapon attack is likely to be open handed. If at conversation distance you are lucky enough to draw a knife or pistol it will do little to stop the mechanism of the attack. Even worse because of ritualized combat you will be more likely to focus on your tool use and stay to the front instead of adhering to the first rule and moving off the center line.

esrice

Certified Regular Guy
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Indy
    What is the difference between "spontaneous edged weapon attack defense" and "using a knife do defend youself"?

Can you give examples of each?

mercop

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 21, 2008
    PA
    Spontaneous attack defense use open hand principle based responses in reaction to furtive movements that allow you to bridge to an advantageous position or transition to a mechanical force option if you can gain the time and distance. During a verbal argument a guy pulls a knife and tries to stab you.

Defending yourself with a knife is just that, using a knife to defend against other open hand, stick, knife and in some situations even pistol attacks,multiple opponents and disparity of force situations (example, small woman vs large man).

Tinman

I'm just enjoying the show!
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    One of the basic thoughts taught to me years ago (and one that drives a lot of my training) is that you need to train all of your response to work whether the bad guy has a visible weapon or not.

There are so many interviews with folks that state they didn't even know the guy had a tool until they were already cut, hit, shot, whatever. That's where I always end up when evaluating techniques that are specific to if the adversary has this tool I do this, but if he has something else I have to do that.

What so many students seem to miss is that you need one technique that works in the instant the blade is flying towards my face, as well as when I see him reaching in the pocket to pull it out. I don't necessarily have to respond with the same technique, but what I've got should be robust enough to handle it in case I don't have anything else in the toolbox right now.

Again, great stuff and great to have you here George.

Tinman....

mercop

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 21, 2008
    PA
    Good points Tinman. In spite of what you posted too many people use the visual que of seeing the weapon to defend themselves instead of defending against the furtive movement. The also get a false sense of security by defending against big training knifes. My favorite it the Blue Rings box cutter trainer. A great example how even if they do have the knife out in the open you may not see it.

Top Bottom