• awittmer

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 27, 2010
    Batesville
    I received an assignment in my Criminal Justice class,
    It is a three page paper titled, "my solution to crime in America."
    Now, as unrealistic as the paper sounds, i am supposed to come up with five ideas (solutions) to stop crime....

Crime Defined as , "an action or an instance of negligence that is deemed injurious to the public welfare or morals or to the interests of the state and that is legally prohibited."

Just wanted my fellow Hoosier's and INGO member's input!
    It would be greatly appreciated!

Last edited:

E5RANGER375

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Feb 22, 2010
    BOATS n' HO's, Indy East
    start executing all murderers, child molesters, rapist (im sure im forgetting some but you get the idea). surgically cut a "T" for thief on thieves foreheads. also hold politicians, judges, prosecutors, police, firemen, etc, to the same judicial standards or I should say > enforce them. no special treatment for congresscritters, or state critters either. and make prisons a living hell for inmates instead of better than club med!

these are just opinions, but what it boils down too, is holding people accountable and making them truly FEAR being incarcerated.
    good luck with your paper.

Marc

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 16, 2008
    District 6
    all crminals be made example, and i dont meen just a slap on the hand from the judicial system

some one will chime in with better ideas but i stand beside uncle ted when he said a dead offender is better than a repeating offender

Fletch

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 19, 2008
    Oklahoma
    1: *redacted to comply with INGO rules*
    2: Freer markets with lower barriers to entry so that those at the bottom can build wealth more easily. Example: one should not need a diploma to cut hair.
    3: End the war on drugs
    4: Fully affirm the 2nd Amendment and property rights of all
    5: Shift criminal justice in the direction of restoring victims rather than merely punishing the guilty

eldirector

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 29, 2009
    Brownsburg, IN
    An armed society is a polite society?
    Castle Doctrine?
    Repeal the prohibition on recreational "drug" use? (IE: redefine "crime" in many cases, reduce the need to commit "real" crimes for access to drugs, and remove the power and funding for many gangs)

What are your ideas so far? I'm sure we can point you to some good information sources to help bolster your argument (once we know what that argument is).

Gotta love these open-ended questions! To assure a good grade, what solutions would your instructor most agree with?

hotfarmboy1

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Nov 7, 2008
    Madison County
    start executing all murderers, child molesters, rapist (im sure im forgetting some but you get the idea). surgically cut a "T" for thief on thieves foreheads. also hold politicians, judges, prosecutors, police, firemen, etc, to the same judicial standards or I should say ***, enforce them. no special treatment for congresscritters, or state critters either. and make prisons a living hell for inmates instead of better than club med!

these are just opinions, but what it boils down too, is holding people accountable and making them truly FEAR being incarcerated.
    good luck with your paper.

This^^

If the idiots doing the crimes were actually afraid of the punishment I think the crime rate would definitely go down. But as of right now they aren't afraid cause the punishments are way to lax. Especially the luxuries they get in jails. Come on, what happened to giving just basic food, 4 concrete walls, a heavy locked barred door, a cot, and a toilet. If they went back to that I'm sure there would be less criminals out there.

Bill of Rights

Cogito, ergo porto.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Apr 26, 2008
    Where's the bacon?
    Now, as unrealistic as the paper sounds, i am supposed to come up with five ideas (solutions) to stop crime....

Start teaching personal responsibility for and enforcing consequences of actions. Some of both will be present for all acts, and some will be beneficial and pleasant, others will not. Teach people young that if they want to prevent themselves from being victims, they need to depend upon themselves for that protection. Teach people that while they are under no legal obligation to help others, to do so is a very nice feeling. Perhaps we would benefit from a "Good Samaritan"-type law removing liability from those who respond to crime emergencies just as liability is removed for those who respond in good faith to medical emergencies. (We actually have this in Indiana.) Teach people at young ages and consistently thereafter that if they decide to attempt a mugging and get shot in the process, they have no one to blame but themselves. Stop punishing victimless crimes. If the only person you're hurting is yourself, what business is it of anyone else?

While I don't agree with the extreme nature of some of Ranger's suggestions, in general I think that he's on the right track insofar as making the consequences of acts something the criminals will fear as opposed to something they'll consider an acceptable trade-off for the benefit(s) they expect to receive.

Hope this helps and good luck!

Blessings,
    Bill

Bendrx

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 3, 2009
    East Indy.
    This may sound like I'm joking, but if I had the cash I would do it (Okay, I'd probably buy a truck if I had the cash, but if I had a truck and the cash...). I live in the ghetto, the MCSD crime map shows quite a bit of activity around me, but it's by no means the worst in the city either. I would like to hand out free guns with a box of ammo. I would require anyone accepting the pistol to to get a LTCH, to prove that one they're allowed to poses one, and so that they may or may not at thier discretion have it on thier person at any given moment. Secondly I would require that they take some sort of firearms safety class prior to taking possesion of the firearm. Once they get thier LTCH, I would meet them at where ever they chose to take the class and then lend them a loaner. Once the course was completed and they didn't do anything stupid to get kicked out/failed then they could go to whatever gun shop I worked out the deal with and pick up thier pre-paid firearm after doing the 4473.

This may not be a great idea for your purposes as it's not practical. But here is what I believe the results would be. A very slight increase in crime (Possible, but maybe not even noticable from a LEO point of view), followed by a sharp decrease in my area. I do believe that if I gave out 50 pistols (Also, I'm talking about just cheapish .380s or 9mm, nothing fancy or big and "Look at me, Iz haz Gunz!") that 3 or 4 would very likely end up some how crime related. Either stolen or somebody passed the checks and then did something foolish. But after that there would be more guns in the good guys/gals hands than the bad and that would increase the risk for those lazy folks who can't bear the struggles not doing stupid poo. If anyones wants to supply 4K worth of guns and ammo to my neighbors just let me know! I actually think I would struggle to give them all out, I would require them to go through the trouble and cost of the LTCH and the class. It would have to be a door to door offer, as the folks least likely to "sign" up are the ones that I'd really want to arm. The folks signing up for the handout I'd honestly rather not be armed. But I'll take the bad with the good.

target64

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Apr 22, 2009
    West Side
    1) Eliminate "Plea Barganing",diversion programs,alternative sentencing, house arrest and such.
    2) Eliminate youth facilities. If you do an adult crime, you do adult time.
    3) Utilize tent cities and chain gangs. The inmates shall work to pay for their food, care and housing. Remove all recreational/comfort items. Eliminate contact/conjugal visits. Make a prison a prison, not the holiday inn express.
    4) Mandatory minimum sentencing, for Violent crimes, sex crimes, drug dealers, all start with a twenty five year sentence.
    5) If during the commision of any crime a life is taken, then all criminals involved shall forfiet their life/lives.
    :twocents:

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    1. Stop making everything illegal. Start repealing criminal statutes which are mala prohibita.

[ame="http://www.amazon.com/Three-Felonies-Day-Target-Innocent/dp/1594032556"]Amazon.com: Three Felonies a Day: How the Feds Target the Innocent (9781594032554): Harvey A. Silverglate: Books[/ame]

2. Stop the mindless, endless, racist War on Drugs.

3. Abolish the Welfare State.

4. End the attack on families and make fatherhood a virtue.

[ame="http://www.amazon.com/Winning-Race-Beyond-Crisis-America/dp/1592401880"]Amazon.com: Winning the Race: Beyond the Crisis in Black America (9781592401888): John McWhorter: Books[/ame]

[ame="http://www.amazon.com/Losing-Race-Self-Sabotage-Black-America/dp/0684836696"]Amazon.com: Losing the Race: Self-Sabotage in Black America (9780684836690): John H. Mcwhorter: Books[/ame]

5. Reintroduce the concept of shame to society as a whole.

vwarren

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Feb 2, 2011
    greenfield
    The problems with crime all start at the home. The only way to fix these problems is to shut off the t.v. and do something constructive as a family. like church,hunting,fishing,camping,sports,board games,build something etc.
    We need more MEN to set a example of what MEN should be.

cburnworth

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 13, 2010
    major drug dealers get fed product till they die. rapists get the member severed & fed to them. child rapists get member severed & then raped themselves. but the biggest solution to crime is the death penalty with immediate execution. I think I just heard a report of a guy that had been on death row for 27 years & was finally executed.

Armed Eastsider

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 13, 2010
    Same as most people are saying. You murder somebody, you are executed the day you are found guilty. Not 10-20 years of appeals, not time off for good behavior, not a lighter sentence for any reason.

Start executing all murderers, all rapists, all armed robbers, all child molesters, and all career criminals. It might sound extreme, but WHY not? We have absolutely no use for these people. They made the decision to do the crime, stop wasting all this money housing them, providing them with cable TV and exercise equipment.

Oh, and get rid of all the damn gun control laws. They do NOTHING but prevent honest citizens from protecting themselves. Get rid of the LTCH and let citizens carry at their own discretion. No point in forcing people to prove they dont have a felony on their record to buy a firearm, they will get them anyways.

End rant.

Redneckbuckeye

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 19, 2009
    Sheridan
    Punishment to fit the crime, no slap on the wrist.

Punishment made a public and humiliating display, start hanging capital offenders in the town square again, fear of punishment is a powerful thing.

88GT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 29, 2010
    Familyfriendlyville

Crime Defined as , "an action or an instance of negligence that is deemed injurious to the public welfare or morals or to the interests of the state and that is legally prohibited."

Well, for starters, I'd have to say that I take issue with the definition. I could give a rats' ass whether it's injurious to the public welfare or the interests of the state. In fact, I take exception to the idea that laws are created to protect the state. Government's only legitimate role is to protect the rights of the individual. Ergo, all laws must pass the litmus test of that standard. Setting aside for the moment the trouble with accepting the definition as stated, I suppose the most practical way to address my concern is through the repeal of 75-90% of all the current local, state, and federal laws according to the aforementioned standard.

Assuming that didn't wipe out 99.99% of the gun laws on the books, I'd finish the spring cleaning by clearing those out.

And third, I'd revamp the LE system to be a mop-up duty. Let the streets be run with a little street justice, and let every individual out there know that his (her) safety is his responsibility and his alone, and he'd best be prepared to deal with whatever might come his way.

Fourth, throw the book at the convicted. No parole, no easy time. I've always liked the ideas of chain gangs myself. Prison should be so bad people don't want to go back.

Redneckbuckeye

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 19, 2009
    Sheridan
    Well, for starters, I'd have to say that I take issue with the definition. I could give a rats' ass whether it's injurious to the public welfare or the interests of the state. In fact, I take exception to the idea that laws are created to protect the state. Government's only legitimate role is to protect the rights of the individual. Ergo, all laws must pass the litmus test of that standard. Setting aside for the moment the trouble with accepting the definition as stated, I suppose the most practical way to address my concern is through the repeal of 75-90% of all the current local, state, and federal laws according to the aforementioned standard.

Assuming that didn't wipe out 99.99% of the gun laws on the books, I'd finish the spring cleaning by clearing those out.

And third, I'd revamp the LE system to be a mop-up duty. Let the streets be run with a little street justice, and let every individual out there know that his (her) safety is his responsibility and his alone, and he'd best be prepared to deal with whatever might come his way.

Fourth, throw the book at the convicted. No parole, no easy time. I've always liked the ideas of chain gangs myself. Prison should be so bad people don't want to go back.

Great idea.

jblomenberg16

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    67   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    Southern Indiana
    Lots of good stuff this far, but it seems like the majority is based on stiffer punishments and or reform of how punishements are determined.

Let me offer a differet angle, if for nothing else, the sake of debate. The way to cure a disease isn't only to treat the symptoms, but to cure the cause. Likewise, many other problems can ultimately be prevented rather than treated reactively.

As an engineer, I am often tasked with fixing systemic issues with the product I work on. Part of the problem solving method we use is often refered to as the 7 step process that is very well known throughout industry. There are a few keys to this process as summarized by each step;

1) Define the problem with data and facts
    2) Develop a preliminary list of potential causes of the problem
    3) Implement an immediate countermeasure if possible based on #2
    4) Continue to develop other corrective actions for the problem and test them for effectiveness.
    5) Select a long term corrective action that corrects the problem, and put it through validation testing
    6) After successful validation of the corrective action, implement it quickly and as widely as necessary to prevent further problems. Determine if fix needs to be implemented on existing products already in the field.
    7) Implement controls to prevent the problem and those similar to it from happening again.

Now, I could probably wright a multi-page disseration on this method, but I want to focus on a couple of key points.

• As a society we like to talk about defining problems with data, but we often use an incomplete data set, and one that often helps us prove our point, is convenient to our cause or agenda, or tells us what we were hoping to hear. We have to take the blinders off, get pollitical correctness under control, and let data and hard facts drive our problem solving.
    • We are very good at taking quick action to stop the proverbial bleeding, but often it is a knee jerk reaction born out of emotion more than rational logic. We also continue to try to rely on those stop gaps to prevent the problem, when in reality they can't. Often we will pile band-aid on top of band-aid, but we forget to sew up the open wound that is bleeding uncontrollably. A lot of the laws passed to combat modern crime are nothing more than bandaids that do little to fix the actual wound.
    • When we do put in some more permanent fixes, we usually don't test them to see if they'll really work. We just go with it if the idea sounds like it will work.
    Again, I could put together a very long disseration and come up with some very clear cut examples, but that would only delay me getting to my point: As a society, we do very little, if anything, to actually put in place a control plan to prevent the problem from coming back.

In fact, if anything, we continue to remove some of the controls that have been in place for centuries (i.e. moral standards) in the interest of making sure everyone feels loved and accepted, no matter how anti-social the behavior is.

I realize what I'm going to say next is going to be borderline religious, so I've reluctendly removed the specific references to God (Commandments 1, 2 and 3) and posted short summaries of 4-10 so as not to start a firestorm of religious debate.

Honor (Respect) Your Parents and those in Positions of Authority
    Do Not Murder
    Do Not Commit Adultery (e.g. don't cheat on your spouse)
    Do Not Steal
    Do Not Lie to or Spread False Information about other People
    Don't Covet (i.e. lust for) someone else's wife or posessions

Religous or not, I think a majority of folks would say if you took those basic principles, and added to that the golden rule of "Treat others how you want to be treated" and you have a fairly simple outline of basic morals. Is there any harm in instilling those basic principles in our children as we are raising them? Would society sundenly disintegrate if people treated each other with basic respect?

It still gives people plenty of lattitude to think what they want to think about many contemporary issues, do what they want to do to help the poor, and earn for themselves an honest and comfortable living.

So, that was a little longer than the OP needed (heck, I feel like I just wrote the paper for him), but I hope my point is clear. We're never going to be able to solve crime by adding more and harsher punishments. That is just going to keep the honest folks more honest. The only way to reduce crime is to treat it at its source and work to restore the basic moral fabric of society.

Last edited:

88GT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 29, 2010
    Familyfriendlyville
    Lots of good stuff this far, but it seems like the majority is based on stiffer punishments and or reform of how punishements are determined.

Let me offer a differet angle, if for nothing else, the sake of debate. The way to cure a disease isn't only to treat the symptoms, but to cure the cause. Likewise, many other problems can ultimately be prevented rather than treated reactively.

*snipped the rest for brevity*

I thought about that and I always come back to one glaring issue: it's impossible to FORCE people to behave a certain way AND maintain the integrity of personal liberty. If we could solve that, we wouldn't even be having this conversation because crime wouldn't exist. Society's sole remedy is reactive.

Top Bottom