• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • roscott

Master
    Rating - 97.5%
    39   1   0
    Mar 1, 2009
    You hear it all the time: “I want to go hog hunting!” But all too often I talk to people who seemingly assume they’ll never make their dream a reality. In en effort to convince you to jump into your first hog hunt, I’m going to do my best to lay out the options for getting into hog hunting, the gear you need (and likely already have), and everything in between.
    A93BF01F-62D4-46B5-8564-0A38EA275D16.jpeg
    Why I’m Qualified to Write this Article: I am by no means a hog hunting expert, but have been fortunate enough to be exposed to various styles of hog hunting. My key qualification is that I did not have any particular advantages getting into hog hunting, and now I get to enjoy hunting hogs multiple times each year, despite living in hog-free Indiana. I’m certain that many of you fall in the former category, and would prefer to be in the latter category. I will be happy if my input can help others get into hogs.
    24850F79-19FE-4D24-9D5F-373928DE22F2.jpeg
    Testing the Waters: Hunting with an Outfitter During the Day. Using an outfitter is definitely the easiest way to get into hog hunting. Find somewhere with good reviews, book some dates, and simply show up. This is quick and easy, but can have some drawbacks. There are likely to be strict limitations on how and where you hunt, with many outfitters requiring that you use their blinds or stands to hunt over bait. While this can be a successful method, it can feel somewhat controlled, and there are plenty of internet stories about outfitters stocking pigs or even requiring you to hunt inside a hog confinement… essentially high fence hunting. Further, some outfitters charge by the hog or by the pound, which may decrease the excitement of taking multiple pigs or very large pigs. I don’t fault the outfitters for these restrictions; after all, they are trying to make a living off unpredictable wild animals. But it may still leave you feeling like you didn’t get the “real” experience.
    563D932C-3CB6-4ADA-AAB7-4ABE23CA7FC3.jpeg
    Testing the Waters: Hunting with an Outfitter at Night. There are also plenty of outfitters offering thermal night hunts in fields. This is extremely exciting, and trying to take down multiple hogs from a sounder 20-30 pigs strong is absolutely wild. Using an outfitter for this style of hunt may certainly be the best option, unless you are prepared to drop thousands of dollars on a thermal scope. These hunts often cost $400-500 per person for a single night, but taking half a dozen pigs is not unusual, especially if you are comfortable shooting moving targets.
    Another factor to consider: these style hunts are very tactical in nature, versus being hunting in nature. You’ll end the night with a pretty good understanding of how to use high tech thermal gear to maneuver on a group of pigs in the open and work as a team to eliminate as many as possible. However, you will not learn much about pigs, or their habits and habitat. Non-hunters may find this attractive, although as a hunter, while this kind of adventure is incredibly fun, I would never want to be relegated to only this style of hunt.
    D277C077-0DC4-4D74-BE9A-CC4364EF6802.jpeg
    Into the Deep End: Hog Leases. If I knew someone was serious about hog hunting for years to come, I would strongly encourage them to get a hunt lease. It allows the most diverse and natural forms of hog hunting, assuming you get on a good lease. In my personal experience, I hunted on a buddy’s lease that was excellent hog hunting. I then got a lease of my own, which had almost zero hogs, and was pretty disappointing. After a lot of research, calls and legwork, I finally stumbled onto the current hunt club I’m in, which is incredible. Several of my buddies have since joined the club, and we travel down south multiple times a year and bring back loads of pork.
    You’ll pay $1-3/per acre for a lease each year, although that number can be much higher depending on hunting quality, species present, location and amenities. You’ll also find that many of these leases or clubs are looking for quality people to SHARE the ground, so if you behave like a donkey, you may find yourself uninvited.
    Having an investment into a lease or club can allow you to study the hog behavior, ambush or stalk the hogs, and hunt year round day or night. The right arrangement can be pretty awesome. Take a look at Georgia Outdoor Network for lease opening postings, and go into it with a friendly attitude and you may come away with your own hunting heaven.
    22338276-6FDF-43A5-B93A-F1D629E3E631.jpeg
    Gear: Run What You Have. Simply put, if you’re into guns you likely already own the necessary equipment to hunt hogs. Yes, it is an addiction for which you may eventually spend thousands of dollars buying gear, but you can start hunting now! I prefer a lightweight suppressible semiautomatic with day and night optics, but if I only had a lever action, bolt action, or shotgun, I would gladly run south to hunt hogs. When we began hunting hogs we used flashlights taped to our rifles, and we killed plenty. Later we bought some entry grade night vision, then handheld thermals, then eventually thermal rifle scopes, but we ate a lot of cheap pork in the process! You can also find plenty of pigs during the day if you learn where to look and are willing to hike through the swamps.

Last edited:

L C H

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 8, 2022
    Bedford
    Hog hunting is one if my favorite activities. Used to do it here when we had a few around. Last few years, I've made trips down to Alabama and Oklahoma to hunt the public lands down there.

I've looked at a few leases, but haven't found the right arrangement yet.

I assembled a 450 Bushmaster primarily for hog hunting, really is the perfect hog rifle IMO for jump shooting in thick brush.

Here's my boar from last February in Oklahoma. I'm heading back again this year.
    20220221_175752~2.jpg

bgcatty

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Sep 9, 2011
    Carmel
    There are a lot of options down in Tennessee. I’ve done several hunts at lodges down there and all were stalk and hunt. I’ve used both rifle and handgun for successfully taking hogs. Stalking and walking through the woods is much more fun and challenging than sitting in a blind over bait. Might as well go to the supermarket and buy your bacon and pork chops. Check out Tennessee hunting lodges with Google and do your research to get started close to Indiana. Good Luck!

two70

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Feb 5, 2016
    Johnson
    There are a lot of options down in Tennessee. I’ve done several hunts at lodges down there and all were stalk and hunt. I’ve used both rifle and handgun for successfully taking hogs. Stalking and walking through the woods is much more fun and challenging than sitting in a blind over bait. Might as well go to the supermarket and buy your bacon and pork chops. Check out Tennessee hunting lodges with Google and do your research to get started close to Indiana. Good Luck!
    Perhaps when hunting fenced hogs with relatively low hunting pressure. In heavily pressured areas, spot and stalk is often a lot more effective than hunting over bait, especially if you're limited to daylight hours. Hogs are not that hard to stalk. Their eyesight is relatively poor and while their hearing is decent, they typically make more than enough noise to cover the sound of a stalk when active. They can be hard to spot before they bolt but even if they spot you first they will often give one a decent shot before getting out of range, provided the cover is not extremely thick.

roscott

Master
    Rating - 97.5%
    39   1   0
    Mar 1, 2009
    Super cool to see everyone’s experiences!

LCH and Two70, can you share a little bit more about your public land experiences? That’s one area I have very little experience in, other than public land out west. I feel like all the reading I did insisted that public land hog hunting is pretty poor!

How is the hog density in those areas? I know this is a super rough metric, but how many hogs do you feel you see per day on public?

two70

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Feb 5, 2016
    Johnson
    All of my hunts have been in Texas and for most of them hogs were an incidental, bonus species that could be hunted, not the primary one. There are basically two ways to do it, either with a walk in hunting permit which comes with a substantial booklet listing all of the properties and species available to hunt, the rules and restrictions and basic maps of the hunting areas or via limited entry drawing.

I've not yet done the walk in hunt but I have researched it a fair amount. IIRC, the permit costs about $50 and is good for a year. Hogs are probably the most commonly available big game animal that can be hunted via walk in permit. Not all area or hunts are created equally but many of the properties have good populations of hogs. There are some pretty soggy properties in the eastern part of the state that have large numbers of hogs but likely require some type of small water craft to access some of the better areas or in case even to hunt any areas effectively. Other areas have more limited numbers of hogs with easier access. Some areas have pretty funky weapon restrictions.

As for the drawn hunts, research is still required but these are generally going to be higher success and definitely lower competition hunts. There is a feral hog category with typically between 6-8 properties listed each year and they are typically the same properties year after year, though it does change a bit from time to time. You can apply for as many of them as you want with up to 3 other people and the cost is $3 per property, per person. The hunt information page will give you the harvest percentage on the hunt from the previous year, basic rules, and the available hunt dates. Typically the success rates are 75% or higher for these hunts. On my lone hog specific hunt, I saw well over 100 hogs in 5 days. My hunting partner, hunting in the same compartment, saw closer to 30 in those 5 days though.

Hogs are also included as a secondary species on many hunts in other categories as well. These tend to be more hit or miss and may require you to buy the more expensive non-resident big game license ($315 vs. $58) to hunt. I've done 8 hunts over the past 18 years and only one of those 8 non-hog specific hunts failed to include unlimited hogs in the bag limit. That said, I only saw hogs at 3 of the those 8, though I did see hog sign at a few others. Of those 3, I saw one hog twice on one hunt(I was after bigger game so he got a pass), 10-20 hogs at another with no shot opportunity, and 2 on my latest hunt where the hog in the photo above was the only one that gave me a shot.

Typically baiting is allowed on all or most of the hog specific hunts and many of the other hunts where hogs are a secondary species. I've had the most success spotting and stalking though, which some areas do not allow. Most hunts occur over 3 days (afternoon of the first day, all of day the 2nd, and morning of the 3rd) though some go as long as 4. The shorter hunts have an $80 permit fee if drawn and the longer hunt is $130. The difficulty of drawing a hunt depends on the area but in general the hog specific hunts are not too difficult to draw and you accrue bonus points every year that you're not drawn. The hunt info page also provides info on the number of applicants that applied for a particular hunt the previous year along with the number of spots available to help you decide where to apply.

BIGE7.62

Sharpshooter
    Site Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 98.5%
    65   1   0
    Jul 29, 2010
    The Hills of Brown
    Yes and I wanna do it with a pistol.
    Both myself and my eyes are now old so I need to get this red-dot stuff down .
    10 mm by the way

L C H

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 8, 2022
    Bedford
    I've been on public land in Alabama and Oklahoma where you can't look any direction without seeing hog sign. What makes it tougher than private is no night hunting for the most part, no baiting, and usually short seasons for hunting hogs. You know they are there, but they can range out over great distances and sometimes spend most of the daylight bedded in thick cover.

A lot of states also have funky license and weapon restrictions for hogs.

two70

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Feb 5, 2016
    Johnson
    Here is the link for the Texas public land drawn hunt information.

And here's the walk in permit info.

You can search either for hunt location or species and find maps and info on the properties and hunts. You can also download PDF versions of the entire walk in or drawn hunt booklets if you prefer to browse that way. All of the drawn hunt deadlines are past but there are walk in hunting opportunities available through March.

MRP2003

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 50%
    1   1   0
    Aug 16, 2011
    Greenwood
    Great information. I’ve done a few hog hunts in TN at 2 different lodges. Both were different type of hunts. Great time. Highly recommend doing one

Attachments

• C2B60F4B-98A8-490B-92ED-5AD1B1442EDB.jpeg
      C2B60F4B-98A8-490B-92ED-5AD1B1442EDB.jpeg
      758.1 KB · Views: 12
    • 7CB7037C-766B-4D1A-9850-AF038853F99F.jpeg
      7CB7037C-766B-4D1A-9850-AF038853F99F.jpeg
      526.1 KB · Views: 10
    • B1536DC6-47E5-40EC-8216-F188E548D469.jpeg
      B1536DC6-47E5-40EC-8216-F188E548D469.jpeg
      1.3 MB · Views: 12
    • 4388167A-0D75-4406-824F-AA40DB69444A.jpeg
      4388167A-0D75-4406-824F-AA40DB69444A.jpeg
      59.9 KB · Views: 12

cerebus85

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 83.3%
    5   1   0
    Mar 5, 2012
    can anyone give some professional outfitter recommendations? I plan on taking a new hunter on a hog hunt as a pre-game before deer.

Top Bottom