So.. what are you reloading at the moment??

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 2in1evtime

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98.4%
    63   1   0
    Oct 30, 2011
    retired-midwest
    Just finished up 1000 rounds of 40 S&W 180 grain fmj over 5.1 W231, starting on some 165 gr for 40 tonight. All these loads ere done on dillon 550. I ran across a bunch of pulled bullets and got them cheap, some have small pull marks but haven't affected accuracy fo me what so ever. When bullets are a quarter of the price i have no issues trying them out!

Levergun1

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 1, 2021
    Kingman
    Just finished up 1000 rounds of 40 S&W 180 grain fmj over 5.1 W231, starting on some 165 gr for 40 tonight. All these loads ere done on dillon 550. I ran across a bunch of pulled bullets and got them cheap, some have small pull marks but haven't affected accuracy fo me what so ever. When bullets are a quarter of the price i have no issues trying them out!
    I love my Dillon 550. Have loaded tens of thousands of rounds on it, in thirty years.

Levergun1

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 1, 2021
    Kingman
    I loaded my .308 with H322. Had a pretty old can of it (round, cardboard can) and when I poured it into the powder hopper I was a little concerned by the color of the powder. Had a light, greenish-grey color.
    Opened a newer can and it looked the same. You can tell that I don't normally load with H322. Lol

Finished up my can of 748 on the 30-06 ammo.

2in1evtime

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98.4%
    63   1   0
    Oct 30, 2011
    retired-midwest
    I loaded my .308 with H322. Had a pretty old can of it (round, cardboard can) and when I poured it into the powder hopper I was a little concerned by the color of the powder. Had a light, greenish-grey color.
    Opened a newer can and it looked the same. You can tell that I don't normally load with H322. Lol

Finished up my can of 748 on the 30-06 ammo.
    h322 even new has that greenish color to it, first time i ever used it i questioned it also.

2in1evtime

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98.4%
    63   1   0
    Oct 30, 2011
    retired-midwest
    I love my Dillon 550. Have loaded tens of thousands of rounds on it, in thirty years.
    I have 2 550's one set up for small primer loading and the other is set up for large primer loading, then at present the 1050 auto is set up for 9mm only, i have the parts for 40 and 45 for it also but my family goes thru a lot of 9mm

nucular

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 17, 2012
    Brownsburg
    Loaded up 50 9mm with Rocky Mountain Reloading 124gr Multi-Purpose Rounds. If all goes as they did in smaller batches, will be time to load up more, many more.
    I hadn't heard of rmr but their FMJs are not much more than the Berry's I have been loading. I'll have to give them a shot.

DadSmith

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2018
    Ripley County
    I hadn't heard of rmr but their FMJs are not much more than the Berry's I have been loading. I'll have to give them a shot.

I've been using rmr for several years but haven't placed an order lately because they were so far behind on orders. I think they are caught up now but I'm stocked up on Hoosier Bullets and Summit City Bullets. I really like the coated hard cast bullets better. Much cleaner and just as accurate.

ScouT6a

Master
    Rating - 92.9%
    13   1   0
    Mar 11, 2013
    Loaded up some .303 British, this morning, in preparation for an upcoming, out of state, deer hunt.

Sierra 180 grain spire points over a modest charge of IMR 4831 and CCI 200 LRPs. Running out at 2275 fps

ScouT6a

Master
    Rating - 92.9%
    13   1   0
    Mar 11, 2013
    Loaded up what little .450 Bushmaster brass I had setting around and then switched over to .45 Colt.

Loaded some 250 grain Hornady XTP and 240 grain truncated cone, hard cast, both over Unique powder.

tackdriver

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 20, 2010
    Accurate #7? That sounds like a lot of grains.
    AA #7 takes up a lot of volume in the case. I think the COAL plays a huge part in pressure when using #7 in 9mm. When I started reloading, the LGS recommended #7 (wise for many reasons at the time), and I still really like the stuff. I've looked at Sooo many recipies for it, and they are wildly different - from 8.4g is too much, to 9.6g compressed still isn't considered +P. I'm a little OCD and over-engineer at times, and this drove me crazy!

When I started to really pay attention, the variables broke down to the COAL AND the length and base of the bullet. Long bullet seated deep vs short bullet barely in the case. With AA #7, there's not much empty space to start with, so I think this makes a big difference.

That said, most of my loads using AA #7 are 124's at 8.5-6g and 115's at 8.6-8g

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    Back on the bench again now that winter is looming after being busy with other "stuff". Still loading my 9 mm Blue Bullets 125 gr TC, 3.9 gr TG, 1.150 OAL.

This winter's goal is to load up as much as I have primers for.

nucular

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 17, 2012
    Brownsburg
    I finally go
    AA #7 takes up a lot of volume in the case. I think the COAL plays a huge part in pressure when using #7 in 9mm. When I started reloading, the LGS recommended #7 (wise for many reasons at the time), and I still really like the stuff. I've looked at Sooo many recipies for it, and they are wildly different - from 8.4g is too much, to 9.6g compressed still isn't considered +P. I'm a little OCD and over-engineer at times, and this drove me crazy!

When I started to really pay attention, the variables broke down to the COAL AND the length and base of the bullet. Long bullet seated deep vs short bullet barely in the case. With AA #7, there's not much empty space to start with, so I think this makes a big difference.

That said, most of my loads using AA #7 are 124's at 8.5-6g and 115's at 8.6-8g
    I finally got a chance to chrono my recent rounds. Berry's 124gn rn with 7.2ish grains of AA #7 and they chronod out below 1000fps so I'm going to try bumping it up .2 or .3. At least you know you can't get a double charge.

tackdriver

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 20, 2010
    That's interesting. Accurate lists a Max load of 7.4 @ 1090fps. The only reason I find that interesting is because they list a much hotter charge for the 124 grain plates that I run compared to the Lee guide.
    For the Speer 124g GDHP, I have info from both Speer and Accurate (Western Powder)
    Speer lists the COAL at 1.120"
    Accurate lists the COAL at 1.105"

In my mind (and I'm NO expert), this is a very big difference in a 9mm and powder that fills the case.
    For safety, its ALL about the pressure spike. Seat the bullet deeper/decrease the case capacity, you get a sharper spike. Decrease the powder to manage the spike, also decrease your velocity down range.

Side note: The Speer 124g GDHP's lists it at 0.560" long. The Speer 124g FMJ lists at 0.605" long. That's .045" difference. The Speer manual lists both bullets on the same page with same powder charges. The COAL is only .015" different, so the case capacity is .030" less using the FMJ. For myself, I concluded that if 9.0 AA#7 was safe for the FMJ, it was safe for the GDHP. I've still got my fingers, but YMMV!

Disclaimer: Don't listen to me. Start low and work up.

Top Bottom