• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 24Carat

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 20, 2010
    Newburgh
    Loss of a Shepherd has always been so very debilitating for me. My first and foremost request of my God is that our GSD's could live as long as we do.

88GT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 29, 2010
    Familyfriendlyville
    I still prefer to have the dog prior to the birth of the child. Puppies mature and age very rapidly, and unless one likes to raise twins...
    Why put the family through it... :D

Put the family through what? It wouldn't have been any easier for me to deal with a damn dog before the second child was born than after.

Bondhead88

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 26, 2010
    Currently In Toronto
    All dogs are kid friendly if raised properly
    Way not true. Some dogs are naturally more agressive, some dogs are just not friendly to children.

For instance Dalmations are not recommended for people with children as they tend to be threatened by them.

While I personally do not like GSD's I am not against owning anytype of dog in the right situation.

When we go back to Peru this summer we will be getting a Rotti almost right away. We even have a name picked out it's Sampson.

jeremy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 18, 2008
    Fiddler's Green
    Way not true. Some dogs are naturally more agressive, some dogs are just not friendly to children.

For instance Dalmations are not recommended for people with children as they tend to be threatened by them.

While I personally do not like GSD's I am not against owning anytype of dog in the right situation.

When we go back to Peru this summer we will be getting a Rotti almost right away. We even have a name picked out it's Sampson.
    A Dog will be what you allow it to be for the most part, there are a rare few exceptions.

Dalmatians not recommended for people with children, never heard that and personally know of several families that have had them for generations... :dunno:

Magolin

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 24, 2012
    " I'm pretty sure he's passed away now (I was there several years ago and the dog was older then), but the big male that was *his* through and through just chilled on a table while Bruce taught classes. You could tell that dog just thought the world of Bruce."

That was Gunnar. He passed away last year and Bruce thought the world of him as well.

7320048420_cc270a5b29_m.jpg

Yes! He was an amazing dog!

mtgasten

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Aug 23, 2011
    Greenfield
    My parents did the same thing when we moved into the country. Dad got a female pup and had her trained somewhere close to Indy. That dog never left my side from when I was 3 years old to 10 years old. She finally ended up getting killed when she put her life on the line when a pack of wild dogs came on our property while I was out playing. She killed two of them but in the fight she got tore up so bad we had to put her down. I would of trusted my life with that dog rather than any human.

I'm actually looking to get one now that my wife and I are moving into the country and getting the dog trained. If you here of any good places keep me updated!

i've heard of a place in indy called uptons, anybody know anything about them?

Pitmaster

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 21, 2008
    South Bend, IN

That reputation is not quite true. It started with 101 Dalmatians and people would rush out and buy them for their young kids. Kids can't control them very well. The problem with Dalmatians and children is that Dalmatians tend to be highly active dogs and will get rough with kids. It is important that the Dalmatian be socialized well, monitored while around children until the dog has matured some, and the dog knows an adult is in charge. We have had 3 Dalmatians with no problems. We don't have kids but I have had many friends and families kids over with no problems. At one BBQ we had two Dalmatians about 6 and 9 months. Young kids were walking around with plates of BBQ and they didn't "nudge" the plates or go after the kids.

I wouldn't hesitate saying that with a family with an experienced adult around would do well.

Pitmaster

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 21, 2008
    South Bend, IN
    A couple of other comments. Many GSD have been poorly bred. Do your research on the breeder. Ask what they breed for before telling them what you want the dog for. If they answer temperament first. That is a great sign of a quality breeder. Good GSDs can cost a little more, but you will save money in the long run on vet bills if they develop hip dysplasia or other problems.

I can highly recommend Midwest K9 Training in Lakeville, IN. At least talk to them and see if you like their philosophy.

Electronic collars are great training tools.

TaunTaun

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 21, 2011
    So I talked with the bank the other day and I'm collecting additional financial info for the underwriters so that they can approve/decline our home loan application. And the VA has been contacted about getting a certificate of eligibility for a VA loan. The house we want is still on the market.

As soon as the loan is approved, we'll make an offer on the house after some contract discussions for stuff we want fixed.

After that, it'll be time to wrap up stuff at our current place, and get moved to the new place after some repairs.

Then we'll be looking down to the light at the end of the tunnel for a GSD.

I want a dog so bad right now...especially after reading some of the other GSD threads.

trigger_happy57

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 12, 2010
    indy
    check out guardian german shepard rescue its north east indiana and they also have training available my aunt and uncle have two from there they are great with kids and family as long as they are familiar with them. they wont let anybody in the yard thats not suppossed to be there what so ever. they are great dogs and very protective and very great dogs the training is worth it depending on the level you want but RESEARCH is key like everybody says

trigger_happy57

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 12, 2010
    indy
    they also said to check with your insurance companies bc some of them wont cover you if you have certain breeds and my aunt even said that includes gsd with some companies

Top Bottom