• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • THE BIG SITT

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 14, 2012
    Greenwood
    I am trying to come up with a list of supplies needed to get into reloading. Here is the list of things I have so far:

Lee Anniversary Reloading Kit
    Lee 223 Die Set
    Lee 223 Gage/Holder

Am I missing anything, other than the consumables? I realize this is entry level, but no sense in spending big bucks if it isn't something I know I will stick with (just ask my wife about her golf clubs:rolleyes:).

THE BIG SITT

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 14, 2012
    Greenwood
    That's what I was forgetting. I question though, is there a reason the information in the manuals can't just be found on the internet? I know, I'm a young whippersnapper and all, but is the need for a manual still prevalent?

Stschil

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 24, 2010
    At the edge of sanit
    With .223 you will eventually need a primer pocket swager or reamer because of the crimped primers on FC cases and others. Also, a case trimmer as well.

ol' poke

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jan 14, 2010
    You may be right on the Internet having all of the info online. The manuals will have instructions on how the process works as well as the load data, and the load data will vary between manuals. I use hard copies and the internet as well.

I'm not familiar with that kit, so if it has the press and scale, you're good.

Have you considered a reloading class? Or an experienced mentor?

And as with everything firearms-related, Safety First!

red_zr24x4

UA#190
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 14, 2009
    Walkerton
    The lee scales suck,so do their powder drops with the disks.
    Just starting out you can get by with them, but you'll want to upgrad them soon.
    As for multiple reloading book their nice to have, there's a lot of good information in them.

Irishshooter

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 4, 2011
    Avon
    You will also want to get a bullet puller. I always have a few rounds that get overcrimped or the bullet seated to far when I am setting up a new caliber. A bullet puller will let you get the bullet and brass back to load again.

briand212

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 1, 2009
    Putnam County IN
    First
    Welcome to the world of Reloading.!!!!

you will find over time it is a virus that will cause you to buy reloading gear and gadgets and work benches and more gadgets so you will need and ever expanding work bench :)

I started years ago with the lee anniversary kit.. it is a good kit for the price, I still use my original press from the kit for single stage work .

read .. read.. and ask questions remember .. Safety always come first !!
    .. if you are able to attend a class will get you up and running fast.

+1 on the bullet puller and primer pocket tool ..

you will need to decide on how you want to clean your brass.. a tumbler and media is most common.
    if you are on a tight budget you can actually was them with a baby bottle brush and set them on some type of rack to dry. (very slow. kinda sucks but it does work)

Wolverine6G

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 2, 2012
    before you take the plunge. Id recommend getting into one of Profires basic reloading classes they are done several times a month. You dont need any equipment and they walk you through the whole process. You even leave there with 25 rounds of 40cal that you loaded.

Here is their number 317-757-8132 They are located on the west side of Indianapolis on Rockville rd

Whip_McCord

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 14, 2010
    NWI
    That's what I was forgetting. I question though, is there a reason the information in the manuals can't just be found on the internet? I know, I'm a young whippersnapper and all, but is the need for a manual still prevalent?

While there is a lot of load data online (some of which may be incorrect), the importance of the loading manuals is the actual reloading info in them. You can get load data PDFs from the powder makers and the are helpful (and preferred over other online data), but the info in the beginning of the loading manuals helps you understand what happens when a cartridge is fired and also reloaded. The Lyman manual also has good info concerning both interior and exterior ballistics. These manuals are invaluable. You need at least two. I have been reloading for over 33 years. I have over a dozen manuals. Good luck in your reloading endeavor.

THE BIG SITT

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 14, 2012
    Greenwood
    before you take the plunge. Id recommend getting into one of Profires basic reloading classes they are done several times a month. You dont need any equipment and they walk you through the whole process. You even leave there with 25 rounds of 40cal that you loaded.

Here is their number 317-757-8132 They are located on the west side of Indianapolis on Rockville rd

The gentleman who did a couple of FFL transfers for me graciously offered to have me over one day and show me the basics. I plan on taking him up on that before I do something stupid.

THE BIG SITT

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 14, 2012
    Greenwood
    Alright, here is everything I have on the list now. It is copy pasted from a Word document so sorry if the formatting is off.

• Lee Anniversary Kit
      • $126.99
      • B00162RM3E
    • Lee 223 Gage/Holder
      • $5.19
      • B000LC2348
    • Lee 223 4 Die Set
      • $45.99
      • B00HDL9P0K
    • Lee #4 Shellholder
      • $3.19
      • B000N8ODC0
    • RCBS Stuck Case Remover
      • $18.99
      • B000O7D5O2
    • Lyman Case Lube Kit
      • $19.99
      • B000KK93P8
    • Frankford Arsenal Electronic Dial Calipers
      • $22.59
      • B0018E9FVC
    • Frankford Arsenal Master Tumbler Kit
      • $78.99
      • B000TTILBC

The second bullet is the Amazon item number. The total for all the parts is $321.92. Not tooooo bad I supposed.

strongcrow

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Indy Central
    So now all you have to do is get bullets (not too hard), powder ( pretty hard) and primers, which the price and availability of gets better day by day. So, good luck, and i'd visit Profile fort "teachin" if I were you...

maverick5990

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 25, 2013
    Plainfield
    You still didn't put an impact bullet puller on your list and you will need one! ++++++on taking the basic reloading class at Profire. It will be the best $50 you will spend.

Top Bottom