So I threaded the barrel on my 92 today...

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jrainw

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 20, 2008
    Morgan county
    and it is much quieter than I thought it would be. The only catch is that it won't cycle the slide now. I've been told that,
    a. It will never work without a recoil booster
    and
    b. That if I get a lighter recoil spring it will run fine
    Has anyone here run a Trident9 on a 92 or M9? What did you do to make it run?
    If it had the browning "tilt barrel" type action I would just go by the booster. With the Beretta the barrel comes straight back so I have heard it will work without it.

Worthless without pics..
    picture.php

picture.php

Threaded on a 70 year old Monarch 10EE I got at an auction. Single point threading is so cool.

kevinj110

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jul 5, 2009
    home
    I had the same problem on the Sig. Ran fine after a spring change. I know different gun but same idea. I just can't see a recoil booster doing anything.
    Anyways great looking setup. I will pester you about it the next time I see you at Bear Hardware.

combat45acp

Master
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Oct 27, 2010
    DeMotte
    I just sold a AAC Evo to a guy and he put it on the Taurus clone and it ran fine. He had his extended and threaded, make sure the can isn't hitting when you rack the slide back.

hotrodtba

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Jun 4, 2008
    Ossian
    Most of the time, Beretta 92's will run without a booster. I would try some different recoil springs and see what happens. The Trident9 is on the larger end of the 9MM suppressor size spectrum. Most cans that are 1.25" OD are lighter and thus run better. The Trident9 is 1.375" OD, and fairly long.

jrainw

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 20, 2008
    Morgan county
    Thanks for the comments, I will try to find a spring and report back. From what I've read the stock spring is 16# and I need a 10#.

ryknoll3

Master
    Rating - 75%
    3   1   0
    Sep 7, 2009
    I just sold a AAC Evo to a guy and he put it on the Taurus clone and it ran fine. He had his extended and threaded, make sure the can isn't hitting when you rack the slide back.

+1. I'm pretty sure you have to extend the 92/M9 barrel, as there's not enough sticking out in front of the slide to thread on properly. It would seem you either bottom out on the slide, or more likely, you didn't thread your barrel far enough and you're only engaging a portion of the threads in the can. I would worry about the can coming loose and also fouling the CRAP out of the threads in the can that aren't engaged on the barrel.

VUPDblue

Silencers Have NEVER Been Illegal !
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   1
    Mar 20, 2008
    Franklin Township
    I dropped my 92A1 off at my machinest today to have the factory bbl threaded (not extended) per AAC's machine drawings.

This. Per AAC's specs, the thread depth needs to be .400" to the shoulder. There is enough of the factory barrel there to do this. I had my 92 clone threaded this way to accept my AAC Phantom and it runs like a top.

mms

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Oct 9, 2009
    Greenwood
    do you know the max thread depth available on a factory barrel?

you say there is enough for .400 what the max that you can go

I'm just curious

ill be having mine threaded soon

VUPDblue

Rating - 100%
    25   0   1
    Mar 20, 2008
    Franklin Township
    I don't know exactly what's available but it can't be more than .450" or thereabouts. With my can mounted against the shoulder, there is just barely enough of a gap that the slide doesn't contact the can when fully in battery.

curraheeguns

Master
    Rating - 100%
    77   0   0
    Nov 8, 2008
    NW Hendricks County
    This. Per AAC's specs, the thread depth needs to be .400" to the shoulder.

Actually I went with the 1/2x28 AAC Evo 9 specs of .33 overall with a .06 thread relief as shown on page 5.

http://www.silencertalk.com/AAC-thread-guide.pdf

I am chalking this one up as a learning process, but if it is to short for the TM booster I will just shorten the threads on the booster. If it still doesn't work I will buy a new barrel and kick myself in the arse!!! meh!!

Regarless it will work with the Poseidon which is unboosted.

VUPDblue

Rating - 100%
    25   0   1
    Mar 20, 2008
    Franklin Township
    My gunsmith said extending the barrel could be done in the form of an adapter. Basically he'd thread the barrel and then thread-on an adapter to increase the length.

mms

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Oct 9, 2009
    Greenwood
    makes sence probably similar to the thread adaptor on my p22 it has a part that fits under the slide, then the front part which is 1/2 x 28

combat45acp

Master
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Oct 27, 2010
    DeMotte
    how does extending work and i assume it pricey?
    Price wasn't too bad I think $75, but I don't recall for sure. Basically it was a thread adapter, and you could barely tell there was one on there. Tornado Tech did the work and it looked top notch. I know if you want to run the Silencerco Osprey you either need the barrel extended or get the longer piston because it hangs low.

Top Bottom