• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Mosinguy

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Feb 27, 2011
    North Dakota soon...
    This is what you are describing in the Op. We had them mounted in the ceiling of my families cabinet shop back in the 50's and early 60's. We replaced them with Co2 and a sprinkler system in about 1965 as they really were just about as hazardous as letting the place burn. :rolleyes: They looked like these.

SFFDMuseumWaterGrenades_zpseb4425f9.jpg

Mine looks like the one in the top row third from the left (or right).

Buzzard

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 21, 2013
    If you are wanting to get rid of it.... Ever thought of donating it to the Firefighter's Museum on Mass. Ave? They have a great little museum and may also be a source of good info for you. It could be tax deductible...

Good idea Scuba! :yesway:

92ThoStro

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 1, 2012
    You use those during Thanksgiving in case your turkey catches on fire in the oven, just open the door and toss it in.

Hanu

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 30, 2011
    :n00b:

You have as long as you can hold your breath.

I was in computer room when the halon "dumped". Because of the dispersal system, it was like a tornado. Blew ceiling tiles out, light boxes on top of the tape drives off, tapes out of racks, and scared the love of bacon out of everyone. They made us stay and work in the area. That was a looong time ago, and as far as I know, I haven't had any ill effects. any ilajkeffec t ...any illjjklj efftsadf.a...mg.a.....

remauto1187

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 25, 2012
    Stepping Stone
    Halon is breathable and it is used in sealed and confined spaces, used primarily in computer control rooms, but it needs to be confined to reach the proper concentration, you can be in the room with it

Co2 systems have similar applications, again if they are supplying a confined space, it is a sealed area. With co2 systems an alarm will sound prior to discharge, giving you time to escape, they are not survive able. Signs are posted in these areas warning you of the danger.

Cool thing about halon, we have all seen people take a hit of helium and they sound like chipmunks, halon has the reverse effect, your voice will drop several octaves!
    Breathing Halon in is NOT the problem. The problem with Halon is that it displaces oxygen. So if you are in the room once it is filled with halon, you are done. You have as long as you can hold your breath to remove yourself from the OXYGENLESS room.
    Im pretty sure the Navy wasnt lying to all of us when they said you have as long as you can hold your breath to get your arse out of the paintlockers on the aircraft carriers Theodore Roosevelt and the Enterprise which were halon protected when i was active duty.

remauto1187

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 25, 2012
    Stepping Stone
    I was in computer room when the halon "dumped". Because of the dispersal system, it was like a tornado. Blew ceiling tiles out, light boxes on top of the tape drives off, tapes out of racks, and scared the love of bacon out of everyone. They made us stay and work in the area. That was a looong time ago, and as far as I know, I haven't had any ill effects. any ilajkeffec t ...any illjjklj efftsadf.a...mg.a.....
    Halon is only effective when the doors are closed and the room is almost airtight (the halon needs a place to push the oxygen OUT of the room or substantially away from the fire so it cannot consume it).

Hanu

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 30, 2011
    Halon is only effective when the doors are closed and the room is almost airtight (the halon needs a place to push the oxygen OUT of the room or substantially away from the fire so it cannot consume it).

Oh, the doors were closed. We were in a data center so it was locked up tight. All of the interior doors that were open were held open by electronic magnets which released when the halon dumped, so the doors between rooms all slammed closed.

Top Bottom