• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Brandon

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 28, 2010
    SE Indy
    did you assemble this or did a big box retailer?
    if a big box retailer did then they have been sitting on these for a couple months *octoberish* and alot of dirt gets kicked up from cleaning and possibly causing carb/exhaust problems.

side note when i worked at lowes on post and 25th (i70 and post rd) i could easily make a cloud of dust that would blow over 70 and make visibility really low.

not an expert, but would the belts from the engine to the auger be to tight?? this is about the only other part i could see causing stress on the engine to cause it some issues?? or am i in left field with this idea?

remymartin

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 28, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    Yard Machines, you got what you paid for JUNK. If it is new, take it back and get another, you will likely have the same results. These along with all of the other Yard Machines, MTD products are pretty much disposable. If you get a year out of most of their products you are doing ok. I have seen them last much longer, but it is rare.

BTW, I am a master technician for over 10 years, and a consultant for teaching a small engine class. Flame suit on anyway. What do I know?

Scutter01

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    did you assemble this or did a big box retailer?
    if a big box retailer did then they have been sitting on these for a couple months *octoberish* and alot of dirt gets kicked up from cleaning and possibly causing carb/exhaust problems.
    I bought it very-lightly-used from someone who was moving.

Yard Machines, you got what you paid for JUNK. If it is new, take it back and get another, you will likely have the same results. These along with all of the other Yard Machines, MTD products are pretty much disposable. If you get a year out of most of their products you are doing ok. I have seen them last much longer, but it is rare.

Not helpful, but thanks. We don't all have a couple grand to spend on the top-of-the-line snow thrower for the one or two times per year that it's needed. I bought what I could afford and I bought it second-hand.

remymartin

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 28, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    I bought it very-lightly-used from someone who was moving.

Not helpful, but thanks. We don't all have a couple grand to spend on the top-of-the-line snow thrower for the one or two times per year that it's needed. I bought what I could afford and I bought it second-hand.

Personally, I run a shovel and 4wd.

public servant

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    We don't all have a couple grand to spend on the top-of-the-line snow thrower for the one or two times per year that it's needed.
    If it makes you feel any better... I paid $100 for my Ariens off Ebay. :D

ariens-st724-snow-blower-electric-start_200538896822.jpg

I did have to drive to Joliet, IL to pick it up. But it's worked like a charm for about 4 or 5 years now. If it ever craps out....I'll spend another $100 on another one.

jclark

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 24, 2009
    I bet you could build a *****in' snow blower using a small block V8.:D
    You folks really all own snow blowers?
    We just use shovels.

Brandon

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 28, 2010
    SE Indy
    I bet you could build a *****in' snow blower using a small block V8.:D
    You folks really all own snow blowers?
    We just use shovels.

when you are done with your driveway, please come do all 350 feet of mine, plus the 3 car parking area.. then when you are done, can you do the walk to the front door for me and a path for my dog so he wont freeze his stuff off?

:):

spasmo

ಠ_ಠ
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Apr 27, 2008
    We shoveled when we had a little single car drive way in Michigan. Too old to shovel now :) Although I've been shoveling because I couldn't keep the blower running and got tired of hauling it back to the garage to plug it in to start it.

jclark

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 24, 2009
    when you are done with your driveway, please come do all 350 feet of mine, plus the 3 car parking area.. then when you are done, can you do the walk to the front door for me and a path for my dog so he wont freeze his stuff off?

Two words......"4 High".
    And get yourself a dog with longer legs.:D

I think you need to graduate from snow blower to tractor and blade

remymartin

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 28, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    You need 4 things..... spark, fuel, compression, and air. If its "newer" we can likely rule out compression (cylinder wear, worn rings...). I'm sure there's plenty of air on your planet, so we can rule that out. #1 drain fuel from tank and carb, replace plug gapped correctly, remove bowl from carb and remove varnish and sediment. Fresh fuel, see what happens. If it runs, we can eliminate a spark issue, which only leaves fuel. Most carbs are adjusted to a baseline from the factory, so adjustment should not be an issue unless it has been messed with. Armed with your model#, serial#, and engine code, the manufacturers website is very helpful. It will give you base carb settings. A fuel additive such as sta-bil and a start and run every few week all year will take care of 99% of these problems ahead of time.

If you baseline the carb properly with fresh fuel, and a new plug, if you're still having problems I'd suspect a hole in the carb float. I have seen hundreds of the brass floats leak, but never a plastic one.

If you have problems after the above, a carb rebuild is in order. If you can put together a lower, this will be similar, the kits are cheap.

Top Bottom