• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Benny

Grandmaster
    Rating - 66.7%
    2   1   0
    May 20, 2008
    Drinking your milkshake
    In regards to the theft/not theft issue, say I'm at the park with my kid and I set my iphone/ipad down on the bench I'm sitting on to go push him on the swing for a few minutes. When I come back, my phone/pad is gone. Was it stolen or was it found?

Max Volume

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 26, 2008
    da region Highland
    So then, when an armored car looses money a person can be charged for not returning it? What makes an Ipad different if the owner can be identified? :dunno: One of many examples a simple search turns up:

Armored Car And $100,000: Money MISSING After Cash Bag Falls Out

"It's not free money," he said. "It's different than walking down the street and finding a $5 bill laying there. This is clearly marked, identifiable money that belongs to somebody else laying in the middle of a busy intersection with bank bags lying all over the place.
    "It's no different than ... if you found somebody's wallet and it was full of money, and clearly you can open the wallet and see it belongs to somebody. That's not your money."

z96Cobra

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 9, 2012
    Southeast Indiana
    There was no theft here, she didn't steal it. The original owner admitted she left it on the plane so it was not stolen. Returning certainly would be the right thing to do, but making that woman out to be a thief isn't right either. If you loose something, the finder of that item is not a criminal. The looser of the item should have been trying to contact the finder and offering a reward for the return of the ipad, not calling making her out to be a thief in front of the whole world.

She is a THIEF. Most states have laws for lost/mislaid property. This would fall under "mislaid" because the owner simply forgot to pick it up as he left the plane. Taking something that is mislaid is theft in most (probably all) states.

Benny

Grandmaster
    Rating - 66.7%
    2   1   0
    May 20, 2008
    Drinking your milkshake
    There was no theft here, she didn't steal it. The original owner admitted she left it on the plane so it was not stolen. Returning certainly would be the right thing to do, but making that woman out to be a thief isn't right either. If you loose something, the finder of that item is not a criminal. The looser of the item should have been trying to contact the finder and offering a reward for the return of the ipad, not calling making her out to be a thief in front of the whole world.

That's what I thought...and why I put stolen in quotation marks in the title :)

Either of you gentlemen care to answer my question?

In regards to the theft/not theft issue, say I'm at the park with my kid and I set my iphone/ipad down on the bench I'm sitting on to go push him on the swing for a few minutes. When I come back, my phone/pad is gone. Was it stolen or was it found?

jkfletcher

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jul 12, 2011
    A geographical oddity
    Either of you gentlemen care to answer my question?

I see your point. Using your scenario, I was thinking that if you had set it down, walked away, and someone that didn't know you by sight, that maybe they would think it lost and maybe pick it up believing it to be left behind. In theory, they'd try to figure out a way to return it. If they didn't, like in the story, I guess it's a line between "I stole it" and "I found it." Now if they sat there and watched you set it down, so the KNEW it belonged to you, and picked it up and took off as soon as you stepped away, I'd call that theft. But the more I try to defend my statement, the more I start thinking about other scenarios(stealing cars out of parking lots without knowing who it belonged to, for example) I guess the more I see what your point it. I suppose I would say it was stolen as well if it was me because I'd be mad about it. Still, in the scenario from the story, I'm not sure I could call it right out theft with the information provided. Person left it behind, another person picked it up/found it. Rude and immoral of them to not try and get it back to the owner for sure.

jkfletcher

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jul 12, 2011
    A geographical oddity
    So then, when an armored car looses money a person can be charged for not returning it? What makes an Ipad different if the owner can be identified? :dunno: One of many examples a simple search turns up:

Armored Car And $100,000: Money MISSING After Cash Bag Falls Out

"It's not free money," he said. "It's different than walking down the street and finding a $5 bill laying there. This is clearly marked, identifiable money that belongs to somebody else laying in the middle of a busy intersection with bank bags lying all over the place.
    "It's no different than ... if you found somebody's wallet and it was full of money, and clearly you can open the wallet and see it belongs to somebody. That's not your money."

She is a THIEF. Most states have laws for lost/mislaid property. This would fall under "mislaid" because the owner simply forgot to pick it up as he left the plane. Taking something that is mislaid is theft in most (probably all) states.

Dang it, I should have read the rest of the thread before replaying to Benny. I also apparently missed the part about the name and contact info being engraved when I first read the story. So yes, I'll admit to my mistake and go with calling it stolen :ugh:

drysdaleg

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 9, 2012
    :laugh:
    I'm sure this upstanding member of society will return the ipad to it's rightful owner. He has nothing to worry about.

ipad-thief-2_1363271276826_386693_ver1.0_320_240.jpg

Ok, maybe not. :n00b:

jtdet01

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 16, 2012
    I took my step-son to a Pro Basketball game (Pistons). During the break, we went to the mens room. Son says, "Hey, look a ball, I found a ball". I say, "No, leave it there, it's not yours. The owner will come back for it." (It was a small souvenir ball.) While leaving the mens room, we hear the deep voice of a grown, adult man, "Hey, look a ball." Man left with the ball.

Benny

Grandmaster
    Rating - 66.7%
    2   1   0
    May 20, 2008
    Drinking your milkshake
    Dang it, I should have read the rest of the thread before replaying to Benny. I also apparently missed the part about the name and contact info being engraved when I first read the story. So yes, I'll admit to my mistake and go with calling it stolen :ugh:

Yeah, the name and contact info is definitely the icing on the cake.

Top Bottom