• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • XDdreams

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 12, 2011
    Indianapolis
    I'm guiding my 11 year old how to do repairs and mud on various surfaces of walls at work (over drywall, brick and bare mortar).

He's earning a little bit of money while I'm getting OT at work.

What are some of the things you all teach and guide your children on? It would be a cool thing to cross train with folks that have different skill sets as well.

Look forward to hearing the responses, gotta get back to work.

Attachments

• 20240302_084216.jpg
      20240302_084216.jpg
      314.5 KB · Views: 12

littletommy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 29, 2009
    A holler in Kentucky
    My kids are all grown and out on their own now, but I pretty much tried teaching them how to do things for themselves, like you are doing. I was always in construction and fabrication their whole lives, and they learned quite a few things about that.

The three boys are all capable of doing home repair type jobs, my youngest son did a nice tongue and groove ceiling in his living room, and it turned out really nice. Middle son is more of an auto mechanic than I could have ever taught him to be, and oldest son can research and figure out how to do just about anything. My daughter even picked up a few things from her youth and is capable of minor home repairs.

Oh, and they all like the same classic rock/southern rock that I always listened to when they were little.

KittySlayer

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 29, 2013
    Northeast IN
    Patience.
    How to hold a flashlight. Possibly the hardest job a kid ever has, shining the light on the right spot and not getting bored and letting it drift at a crucial moment during the repair task.

Seriously, having your kid “help” with every household repair. Watching, helping, doing… getting their hands dirty and accomplishing the task at hand. Cross-threading a bolt and then learning how Not to cross thread and finally graduating to be so familiar with fasteners that you don’t even need a torque wrench to properly tighten a bolt/nut.

Mainly learning how to “think”. Watching and learning how to do one task helps your kid learn how to think and figure out an unfamiliar new task.

BigRed

Banned More Than You
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 29, 2017
    1,000 yards out
    How to hold a flashlight. Possibly the hardest job a kid ever has, shining the light on the right spot and not getting bored and letting it drift at a crucial moment during the repair task.

Seriously, having your kid “help” with every household repair. Watching, helping, doing… getting their hands dirty and accomplishing the task at hand. Cross-threading a bolt and then learning how Not to cross thread and finally graduating to be so familiar with fasteners that you don’t even need a torque wrench to properly tighten a bolt/nut.

Mainly learning how to “think”. Watching and learning how to do one task helps your kid learn how to think and figure out an unfamiliar new task.

I've told the story before, but when the better half and I were starting out I was fixing some stuff around the house. She asked one day, "How did you learn how to do that stuff".

I had never thought about it.... then I realized how much I learned from just being around my Dad... holding a flashlight, handing over a tool and such. It's another example of how he did more for me than I can ever know.

XDdreams

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 12, 2011
    Indianapolis
    I've told the story before, but when the better half and I were starting out I was fixing some stuff around the house. She asked one day, "How did you learn how to do that stuff".

I had never thought about it.... then I realized how much I learned from just being around my Dad... holding a flashlight, handing over a tool and such. It's another example of how he did more for me than I can ever know.
    My father failed me in every way imaginable. He was a lifer in the navy and chose alcohol and abuse as his way of showing love. His father did the same to his mother, so that is what he knew..I guess.

One of my main goals in life is to be the complete opposite of him in every opportunity and to be the best I can be in all of the areas he failed in. That's my north star. Had to break their cycle of hurt and horror and create my own based on love and leadership.

Thank you for sharing all.

KittySlayer

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 29, 2013
    Northeast IN
    I'm not all that handy.
    I did teach my oldest (9) to make a nice bacon cheeseburger this week though.
    Learning how to cook is an important skill often overlooked. I’m amazed how the only way some adults can feed themselves is going through a drive thru.

Once learned you can cook and eat on a tight budget. You can cook healthy to avoid an illness you are prone to. You can cook when you’re hungry. You can cook elegant and fancy to impress (a great panty dropper).

“You might have to cook for 20 guys some day,”
    83325A1F-13A7-439E-9C77-4B7BE7572608.jpeg

Aggar

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 7, 2010
    Kirklin
    How to be humble and be a good person. Also anything mechanical so they won’t have to pay a small fortune to get something repaired. My oldest(16) has taken up welding. She won the area FFA welding contest back in December. She really likes it. Any trade you can teach them will leave them with a skill that they can have as a back up plan.

Attachments

• IMG_5433.jpeg
      IMG_5433.jpeg
      503.4 KB · Views: 16

firecadet613

Master
    Rating - 100%
    34   0   1
    Dec 24, 2012
    Great thread!

Our jobs as fathers is to pass all our acquired knowledge down to our kids. Not just hunting, fishing, and gardening. My 6 and 11 year old join me on projects (and have learned there is NOTHING dad can't fix). I only farm out jobs if I don't want to do them (like the pump in the septic tank that pumps it up to the field). But since the guy spliced in a quick connect joint on the PVC pipe, I'll swap it out next time without getting dirty.

With having a company car and a new truck, my auto wrenching days are mostly behind me (I've swapped an engine and trans in my old Blazer), but they already know how to do an oil change and plug a flat.

My 20 year old opted to go into the trades vs college and he's doing great. He worked for a local company that does plumbing, HVAC, electrical, and restoration. He's since left that gig and now does maintenance for a large, local hospital.

During his interview, he said he's a jack of all trades, master of none. They were blown away with how much experience he has at his young age. When they need a master, they hire that out. Working there, he has free healthcare and a 401k plan.

Needless to say, my wife and I are thrilled.

Again, great thread and love seeing how we are all preparing our next generation!

***edited to add - my father was not very hands on. 99% of what I know is self taught, trial and error, reading books and forums, before youtube DIY videos were a thing!***

Last edited:

stocknup

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 28, 2011
    Monrovia area

Same here ..............I was at my Dad`s side on everything he worked on ( and it was a lot , and he could fix anything )
    You can learn a lot just by watching .............
    Always had my sons helping me when they were young ..............Taught them to watch, pay attention and take pride in their work . They are very successful today and both are quite the craftsman . One has his own fence company and does some of the finest work out there .

Top Bottom