• Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    slightly OT but since the clays guys are here...

Hows the shotshell availability and pricing? Stabilized yet? I would assume so since other ammo seems to be back to normal (adjusted for inflation of course)

I havent shot sporting clays since pre pandemic, and during the pandemic I considered it, but shotshells were either unavailable or insanely priced.

Just curious if they have come back down to reasonable prices and if they are readily available. Been itching to get out again.

racegunz

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 6, 2015
    Indiana
    Rural King did have remington 1oz #8s for 7.99 till this week, now 9.99. Walmart has several options for under or around 10.00. I still can’t find shot local.

Limpy88

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Nov 12, 2009
    Lafayette
    The indiana registered skeet shooting has gone down as the Sporting clays has gotten bigger. These are the governing bodys for clays sports in indiana. All tired in with national bodys.

The trap and sporting are both at indiana gun club this year.
    Trap is always there.
    Sporting moves around.

There are more places in the state to shoot clays then what is on the list, just not in Registered competition.

Dean C.

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 25, 2013
    Westfield

Hows the shotshell availability and pricing? Stabilized yet? I would assume so since other ammo seems to be back to normal (adjusted for inflation of course)

I havent shot sporting clays since pre pandemic, and during the pandemic I considered it, but shotshells were either unavailable or insanely priced.

Just curious if they have come back down to reasonable prices and if they are readily available. Been itching to get out again.

No idea what pre covid pricing was for 12ga since I only got into shotguns in the last year , but I pay $125~ a flat for good ammo and $96~ a flat for cheap ammo all roughly 1150-1350fps 1oz 7.5oz loads. A flat is 250 rounds for those unfamiliar. A round of sporting is roughly $45~ now a days it seems.

Availability is not an issue, at least with 12GA target loads. Federal Flight Control buckshot on the other hand is much harder to get with how popular semi auto shotguns are getting right now.

thunderchicken

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 26, 2010
    Indianapolis

It has stabilized in the sense that ammo is pretty much readily available. Prices are a bit higher than pre pandemic but not horrible IMO.
    Prices will likely never be what they once were.

I've only bought 3 or 4 flats since things got scarce. I was lucky enough to have enough reloading components to carry me through.

Reloading components are still a bit more difficult to get. Especially if you want a primer other than Cheddite or Nobel Sport. Powder is more available, but many are still taking pretty much what they can get.

jmills

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 3, 2015
    Marshall co
    Plymouth Conservation Club
    Skeet - Sunday’s (8:00 - 12:00) and Thursday’s (3 or 4 to dark).
    $7.00 a round nonmembers. Bring your own ammo.
    Trap - Wednesday’s (if people start showing up more regularly)
    Also have 200 yard range.

PM any questions.

Leo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    Time really changes perspective on price. When I started Winchester AA trap shells were $80 per case. That was still a case of 20 boxes of premium shells., $4 per box

Yesterday a man was feeling good about buying a couple "flats" of shells for a little over $120 a flat of only ten boxes of lower quality shells. $12 per box

I used to reload with High antimony magnum shot, Winchester brand primers, powder and wads for $2.10 a box. Now the primers alone cost more than that.

crap, I cannot help it, I am sounding more and more like grandpa.

KJQ6945

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 5, 2012
    Texas
    Time really changes perspective on price. When I started Winchester AA trap shells were $80 per case. That was still a case of 20 boxes of premium shells., $4 per box

Yesterday a man was feeling good about buying a couple "flats" of shells for a little over $120 a flat of only ten boxes of lower quality shells. $12 per box

I used to reload with High antimony magnum shot, Winchester brand primers, powder and wads for $2.10 a box. Now the primers alone cost more than that.

crap, I cannot help it, I am sounding more and more like grandpa.
    Around 1990, I used to shoot skeet quite a bit at the IU range in Bloomington. AA’s were about $4 per box, and a round was about the same. I thought it was expensive then! :lmfao:

That range has been gone for probably 20+ years now.

Reactions: Leo

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    Am I the only one that noticed that shotgun shells seem to have increased disproportionately compared to other types of ammo?
    Shotshells appear to have roughly doubled in price while regular bulk ammo only seems to have gone up about 30% or so.

Odd.

Twangbanger

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Oct 9, 2010
    Around 1990, I used to shoot skeet quite a bit at the IU range in Bloomington. AA’s were about $4 per box, and a round was about the same. I thought it was expensive then! :lmfao:

That range has been gone for probably 20+ years now.
    We probably shot there at the same time! I was sorry to see it go. Encroachment was a problem even then, and you had the feeling the writing was on the wall.

Twangbanger

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Oct 9, 2010
    Am I the only one that noticed that shotgun shells seem to have increased disproportionately compared to other types of ammo?
    Shotshells appear to have roughly doubled in price while regular bulk ammo only seems to have gone up about 30% or so.

Odd.
    Definitely. I assume it has always been the metals market. No other type of shooting sends as much lead downrange per trigger pull than shotgun. I also think the cheap import shells broke the back of the reloading economy. The one piece hull that could be reloaded ten times was always the magic thing that allowed the masses to pursue this sport. Once people stopped loading shells, and started loading flats of shells into their trucks, I fear we stepped onto an irreversible price escalator.

cg21

Master
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    May 5, 2012
    Definitely. I assume it has always been the metals market. No other type of shooting sends as much lead downrange per trigger pull than shotgun. I also think the cheap import shells broke the back of the reloading economy. The one piece hull that could be reloaded ten times was always the magic thing that allowed the masses to pursue this sport. Once people stopped loading shells, and started loading flats of shells into their trucks, I fear we stepped onto an irreversible price escalator.

Do they run sales on target loads? I don’t know if I haven’t been looking or it doesn’t happen. As of now I buy a case (125) for $34 at Walmart.

Top Bottom